My very first reno thread...on a car forum :P

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wolfd89, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Wolfd89

Wolfd89 Last in, first out

( I had the entire post written out, but lost half when prompted to only post 20 pics max. I'm in the process of retyping the first part now....sigh)

Hello All,
    for the last 6 weeks I've been busy working on my first home. Below are before and after photos of the work done sofar. Enjoy.

Day one of moving in:
    [​IMG]

Living room before:
    [​IMG]

living room after:
    [​IMG]
    not much of a change. We threw some new paint on the walls(all walls in the house actually)

Upstairs bathroom before:
    [​IMG]
    and after
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Master bedroom:
    [​IMG]
    same view after:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basement entryway before:
    [​IMG]
    after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next a some more drastic changes.

Starting with the mechanical room, as you can see there was an ongoing moisture issue that had been left unaddressed for number of years by the looks of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the walls between the mech room and bathroom were the worst, and we feared that there may be black mold in the walls. Fortunately that was not the case, but regardless the entire area was gutted to the concrete and rebuilt from scratch.

The same corner after:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. Wolfd89

moving on to the basement bathroom
    the rot from the previous pictures had traveled along the bottom wall plates and through most of the washroom, which had a terrible layout.
    [​IMG]
    the linen closet went first along with the fixtures and pretty much all the drywall. We donated the water closet and vanity to a used building matl's center that helps local charities around Kamloops.
    [​IMG]
    the cramped shower was the source of the leak, and was so cramped to begin with we didn't bother saving anything.
    [​IMG]
    after removing the tile and shower base, we dried everything, and quickly set up the new walls. The shower was moved to create a better layout and provide more space in the adjacent mech room.
    [​IMG]
    tiling
    [​IMG]
    and finally the finished product. I bought the new vanity on kijiji for a quarter of a new one(had to build a toe kick base though) and the light fixture was 50 cents at a garage sale.
    Here's the most visual change. Right from the beginning when I viewed the house I saw the potential for an in-law suite. The plumbing was nearby, and there was sufficient space for a small but well laid out kitchen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the electrical worried me the most. The panel was original and had bolt on breakers, which were a pain to source. In the end I cheated and asked one of Horizon North's purchasers to track them down. All wiring is 12GA and 20 amps. I skipped work that day and helped the electrician run everything. It was one of the few thing I left to a subcontractor due to the liability should something happen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We lucked out, because Home depot had a massive cabinet sale as we were about to buy our materials. It helped a lot.
    Cabinet purchase: it barley fit inside my poor car.
    [​IMG]
    The large tiles that were a reoccurring feature throughout the house had to go. The total weight of all the tile and construction waste was over a tone, and I ruined my dads utility trailer hauling everything to the dump.
    Overall I'm happy with the final product. It may have a few 'eater eggs' as I like to call them, but overall we did ok. In the next few months I'd like to finish the laundry/mech area, as well as the garage storage cabinets and storage room. Next year we plan to paint the exterior(the wood siding needs some serious help on the south facing side), raise a new covered patio, and build a retaining wall for the failing one out back.

3. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Nice thread. and a lot of work..
    Its fun working on your own house.. i been doing some gutter stuff to my house. but didnt take any photos.

4. Wolfd89

thanks. it feels like a big money pit right now. I fixed the gutter on the front yesterday as well. We are suppose to be getting a fair amount of rain today, and I wanted to fix it before it started. It nice to fix things that would otherwise irk you if you were renting.

5. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

Looks like some great renovations, what kind of flooring did you put in to all your bathrooms? I need to redo most of my bathroom (everything but the shower) since we had a leak behind the shower that seeped out into the base boards and along the vanity.

6. Wolfd89

It was 12"x24" ceramic tile. I wanted one type of tile in the entire house(there were 3) The only room left to tile is the laundry area, and thank the heavens its a rectangular room. The bathroom was a b**ch to cut and lay.

Update: began cutting lumber for next years mayor project, a covered patio area for the back yard. I decided to go with 6x6 and 6x8 cuts. I could have used 12x12, but they would have looked a little to beefy. Currently about a third through the cut list, should be done by the fall if I can get a few more good weekends in. Funny story, I felled a dead Douglas fir today with my dad. After cutting a generous wedge out of the bottom, the backside was cut and the saw unfortunately got pinched by the weight of the now leaning tree. The thing was so close to falling but got snagged in the crown of another tree. My dad gave to the usual lack of experience spiel, but while he got the second saw ready I booted the thing as hard as I could, watched it tip and casually grabbed the saw as I backed off. Like a Bawss. Suck it old man!
    [​IMG]
    FYI for all you tree huggers, we felled only previously dead trees.

[​IMG]
    trusty old workhorse, 84 Ford F150

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

nice.. thats what i like to see.. getting your own wood for the project..

What land is that on? you guys land Barons or something.. or just stealing trees from Crown land?

8. Wolfd89

Land Barons has a nice ring to it. Nah, its ours, we have just under 10 acres of forested land by white lake. No stealing involved :p

IMPUL likes this.
  9. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Thats so awesome

Wolfd89 likes this.
  10. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Getting your own lumber is the most "Ron Swanson" move ever.

Wolfd89 likes this.
  11. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Nice to have help from the Fam with equipment and free trees!

12. Wolfd89

free is a relative term, hahaha. What you didn't see is the crap load of firewood I needed to cut and load by myself in order to have those "free" trees. My dad is evil.

13. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

Wow! Awesome Wulf. Lots of work put in there, and it's paying off. House looks really good! I like the electrical work!! What panel were you working in? Bolt in, but hard to find? Sylvania? Challenger? What?
    Getting your own wood is REALLY amazing! So neat. Looking forward to that thread!

14. Wolfd89

thanks Soren. The panel is a Commander 32125 125amp 120/240. The guy who did the elec. work quoted me twice the wholesale cost so I got them myself.

This weekend we drilled a hole through the concrete foundation wall for the exhaust vent from the new furnace. Deciding to do a proper job, we rented a core drill and bit. The drill broke not even an inch through the wall, so I ended up using the impact drill and jackhammer. Now all that's left is to cut through the rebar. Sigh

[​IMG]

15. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

One step forward.. haha. Coring can be a sumbitch. So, you hit the rebar right away or what?
    You gonna sawzall that, or what were you planning to do there? I don't see how you'd get a grinder in there. Maybe torch? (I don't have experience there..)

16. Wolfd89

Option 1: jigsaw with a metal blade.

Option 2: oxy-acetylene torch :D

Yeah I drilled into a bar right off the bat.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  17. Wolfd89

busy day today. Tiled in the morning, and then ran stereo wire in the attic and mounted the living room speakers. In-between we had a freak rainstorm out of nowhere(it was sunny!) Also noticed that there are two cracks in the foundation wall inside the garage that weep pretty badly when it rains hard. sigh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Awesome rain picture. Awesome job mounting those speakers up nice and clean!

19. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

This thread is so sweet!
    So wolfie.... When can i move in??? Lol

20. Wolfd89

Hahaha, thanks guys.

Impul: anytime man. But you'll have to fight me for the garage :p