Meet the E46

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by RyanV, Jan 29, 2016.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

Definitely. Both the wife and I working full time and my wife is doing Grad studies, so free time is always in short supply. Plus the Grandparents always want to come for a visit on the weekends...

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Replaced the PCV (or CCV) system in my wife's E46. Actually not as bad of a job as I thought it was going to be. Nothing was a total PITA. It just took a while. I think it was 4-4.5 hours. I installed the cold weather package, but I bought the Viaco parts. I'd recommend anyone else sticks with the OEM parts if they do this. I saved a bit of money, but the fittings didn't seems quite as good and I had to trim back the insulation on the oil separator to get one of the hoses to snap in properly and to reinstall the throttle body. Obviously, while I was in there I cleaned off the throttle body, IACV and DISA. I need to replace one of the torx screws for the DISA though.

Also, changed the oil :) I didn't take many photos, but here's a few:

Everything taken apart:

[​IMG]

Old vs new oil separator. I broke the old one pulling it out since I wasn't putting it back:

[​IMG]

And all back together again. Yes, I know the engine bay could use a clean, but I didn't feel like doing that today.

[​IMG]

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Headlights cleaned up. Little things can make such a big difference.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pajerist and IanB like this.
  4. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Whoa. How did you go about this?

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

6. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Oh nice, I have a tube of plastx. Powertool or elbow grease? I tried a "headlight restoration kit" before on a similarly hazed light, but the result didn't look anywhere near as nice.

7. RyanV

RyanV Member

Drill attachment. You can see it in the top left of the first photo. I don't think it would work trying to do it by hand. I went over it a couple of times to get the above results.

8. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

That headlight looks good i hate cloudy headlights. but also hate polishing things that dont work.

Does that kit come with the drill attachment?

9. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yes, it does :). My kit is a bit older, but it looks like their current "two stage" kit comes with the same drill attachment.

10. IanB

IanB New Member

The drill attachment is key, it would take forever to buff to the same results by hand, and much harder to get a consistent finish.

Looks great, love those German cars, hated owning one, lol.

11. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Drill attachment +1, for mine it came with a foam pad for holding, I just cut a hole in the back a little off centered and rammed a 1/2" impact driver for my drill into there. Works a treat!

12. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Good job on the headlights RyanV!
    Great idea! I'm doing that right now.

13. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Low speed on your impact driver. Then I would get a laminex or 3m clear put on... or bring your headlights to an auto body shop and have them professionally clear coated. I don't care what preservative the kit comes with, it doesn't really work.

14. RyanV

RyanV Member

Coil pack died a few weeks ago, so Ive been able to keep the car on the road by borrowing a pack from the M5. I got the new coil packs last night and got them installed today.

Half way through the replacement:

[​IMG]

I guess its about time since these were the originals:

[​IMG]

We are sort of contemplating whether we will be keeping the car at this point. Really nothing wrong with it, but its a 20 year old BMW, so stuff goes wrong. Doesnt really matter if I have issues with my vehicles since I have others I can drive, but if my wifes car goes down its more problematic.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  15. RyanV

RyanV Member

Oil changed, new oil level sensor and new pads and rotors on all four corners yesterday.

Old vs new sensor. Definitely exactly the same part with BMW logo and part number ground off the new one. $$$ savings and exactly the same part! :D

[​IMG]

New brakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old brakes still had a fair amount of life, but they were wearing weird and made odd noises like ABS was kicking in (even when it wasn't) when braking a bit harder. First picture looks ok, but the second is what the wear looked like in most places even though the pad extended to the outer edge of the rotor. No issues with piston movement on the calipers, so I don't think anything was sticking or binding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love the German way of using odd fasteners and sizes. I intended to bleed the brakes as well, but apparently the nipple on the calipers is 9mm. Why? I don't have a 9mm wrench and the bolts for the caliper mounting bracket are 16mm. I have a 16mm socket, but no wrench, so I had to beat on my socket set to get them loose. I'd really rather beat on a wrench, but I didn't have that option.

Last edited: May 4, 2020