Mark up Madness

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dah_Hunter, Dec 15, 2018.

1. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Is it just me or does importing anything seem more expensive than it used to be? Except maybe Legacies haha

Murrdawg02 and IanB like this.
  2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Ya all the good 90's cars from Japan have Skyrocked in price the last year and a bit. its nuts.

Even stuff that isnt USA legal. The Demand for the Best generation of cars ever Made from Japan, is HUGE, cause they are slowly disappearing.

(Aside from Legacys that for sure they are still a dime a dozen, )

tperkins and Murrdawg02 like this.
  3. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Agreed, its insane. I missed the boat on getting an Evo 5. Now rusted out ones go for more than what clean ones used to go for. When @tperkins bought his Evo was probably the last time they were "affordable".
    And with the exchange rate now....

4. tperkins

https://www.beforward.jp/mitsubishi/lancer-evolution/bg118163/id/1176914/

I have seen this posted on a couple importers pages, 11,750$. Which is less than mine was... but mine is/was mint. Even straight from BF that rough car is 9k CAD on the wrong side of customs.

It seems to me, like I am seeing with the evo 1 and 2's that people either sell their nice ones when they turn 15, then they peter out around the 20-21 year mark, then when they're 25 some nice clean ones come out.

I haven't really posted anything concrete anywhere, but I may have invested in another evo 5 that is significantly nicer than that one.

Meanwhile, Kijiji prices haven't caught up. For 1,250 less you could have this much cleaner looking 5 thats already here with maintenence done:
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...vtuEN_I9oqfyIStkznHVRdFAiCTfqaxMt1EMFkAXsYs38

One thing I will say with importing evo, expect that it needs tires, a clutch, a battery, a timing belt, and new fluids all around and maybe brakes.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    JamalS13, Greg and IanB like this.
  5. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

I agree, in the interim years buying locally seems to be the only option; but the condition of cars sometimes an issue... however that one looks really nice, thanks for posting that! Only the front lip looks a little tattered.

Care to share more info? lol

6. tperkins

I'll post more on it later, but tl;dr is that evo lives matter and this car has been wrought with bad luck. Imported, engine blew up, young guy spent tons of money on built engine and three different shops to try and get it going and tuned well, only before Lakeview in Calgary told him that the engine had valve damage. At that point he gave up, after 4 years and 1000's of dollars, and I just bought the rolling shell from him to get it running again back to its factory glory. Fun thing is that there was no valve damage as far as I could see with the head off when I looked at the car, but by that point he had already parted a lot of key items.

Murrdawg02 likes this.
  7. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Yeah, it is definitely supply/demand law. There are less good 90's cars on the market now compare when they we 15 years old. Prices went up.

Also from early 2000's Japanese economy went down, plus ecology (diesel reduction), plus globalization. Basically if you want something fresh (2003-2004) not much left to choose.

All major JDM categories (diesel, 4x4, sport turbo etc) almost disappeared from 2000's. Only left unchanged is Subaru just because they have much lesser lineup compare to Toyota/Nissan

tperkins likes this.