Magnavahn's new toy

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by magnavahn, May 16, 2018.

1. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

LOTS of maintenance completed.
    Timing belt, crank seal, cam seal, thermostat, accessory belts, transmission fluid change and oil change in a total of 12 hours invested (should've been 10 but I had to re-assemble the vvt actuator after the err "mechanic" took it apart by accident, ugh).

I went out on a limb and bought this puller after chatting with folks on miata.net. It worked sweet, pulled my 3 seals in about 5 minutes with no shaft scratches (I also used a plastic bottle shield though).
    https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-58430-Shaft-Type-Puller/dp/B000FPYW4K

Reason for going in was the leaking crank seal (and the timing belt close to due):
    [​IMG]

New belt on, ya!
    [​IMG]

Washing in the driveway as a reward. My phone is pretty bad, but it is also really smoky here thanks to forest fires at our neighbors to the west.
    [​IMG]

However, I found a busted boot on an upper ball joint. The joint still feels relatively tight so I ordered new urethane boots.
    [​IMG]

Pajerist likes this.
  2. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Sorry...Our 'leaders' seem to take the forest fire threat like it's nothing, and now look at us...

3. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Long time no update. This year the plan is to get the car slightly more track-ready and put it on a diet. So far the plans are:
    -A/C removal. The refrigerant is out and I bought a bypass duct. Hopefully get to this in the next week or two
    - replace tie-down hooks or baby teeth as the Miata folk call them. I bought lightweight tow hooks for future track days
    - I am considering removing the power steering. This car never gets parallel parked pretty much goes to work and autocross. Still on the fence.
    - fog lights removed. They didn't put out much light anyways.
    - I bought new sway bars, on the way

And here's a random pic with the winter tires on. It did not see much for winter just the odd dry (frozen?) day.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  4. IanB

IanB New Member

Nice winter wheels!

5. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Looking great! How is it treating you?

6. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Roadster is working great, runs flawlessly and always puts a smile on my face. Might be one of my first ever cars I don’t flip in <2 years.
    I really wanted to get coilovers this year but the budget is being saved for a move (I really want an acreage). So this year we have:
    -Eibach 27mm and 15mm front/rear sway bars installed. Rear is on full soft.
    -AC fully removed
    -Trunk gutted (added lightness)
    -New aggressive (relative) alignment
    Front: -2 camber, 0 toe, +5.3 castor
    Rear: -2.3 camber, 1/16” toe in
    -Just a touch of oversteer since the alignment. I may try a bit more rear camber, say -2.5.

Next year I’m hoping for:
    -V-maxx XXtreme coilovers (504 / 336 # rating)
    -Potenza RE-71 tires. On the fence about getting another set of wheels or not, I’d like to stick with just one set of summer wheels/tires.

7. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

New brakes!
    Blank rotors and OEM mazda ceramic pads, I found the stock sport brakes had plenty of bite for a light duty autocross I do.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

busted image

9. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Pics hopefully fixed. Smartphone let me down...
    Had to replace a frozen rear caliper this go around. A little love with my fav BFH made easy work of that. Bled everything (twice), adjusted the rear e brake, then played with the booster adjustment just a touch to get a good feel. Stops hard now.

10. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Direct linked google photos images only display for the person signed in to your google account, because... well, google.

I've also been running the vmaxxx xxxxtremes (and RE71rs) at those spring rates for years. Love-hate relationship there.

11. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Pretty firm on the street I assume? Orthodontist visit inducing?

Other notes, more autox last weekend. Looks like the sway bars and alignment got me another 1.5 - 2 seconds on an 80 second course. (Comparing my avg times to same competitors as last year). I'd like to get another 2-3 seconds, which tires and better driving might get me close. For reference I'm about 4 seconds away now from STR class leaders like a mildly modded out S2k... Rhd will never be class legal so I'm not too concerned.

12. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Not at all. It's not like driving on a cloud, but the shocks do a decent job damping out the harshness. You'll have to be pretty low, lose a bunch of travel, and keep in mind that those springs might be stiffer than the body shell.