Magnavahn's new toy

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by magnavahn, May 16, 2018.

1. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Those wheels look great. looking forward to seeing how things progress with this.

2. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

It looks great! I have such a love hate relationship with dark coloured cars!

3. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Passed inspection and plated!

Pajerist likes this.
  4. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

5. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Congrats!

6. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Started the stereo this evening...Made the mistake that assuming my car is a 2001. That's just the build date but the stereo was slightly changed for 2002 model (ya, mini disc!) so the rear plug is different. Now the awesome harness I made needs to get torn apart. Ugh, back to square one.

7. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Yeah, do not give up! At least you are lucky to know what to do...
    Please keep us posted.
    Good luck!

8. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Finished the stereo install, $16 mistake with the plug I purchased. That's about 2 weeks of coffee, or 2 days for the Mrs.
    [​IMG]

Then moved onto more challenging things.
    HID retrofit?? Thought about it, then I read that the stock nb2 projectors are ok with a hid kit so I'm going to try that route first.
    Cut off line is ok with the new hids, but doh! Right hand drive, should've taken a rotory tool to that before I heated everything back together. Maybe next time I have 3 hours and nothing better to do.
    [​IMG]
    With HIDs, I decided to paint the housing black (not the reflectors though, I still want light to come out of the signals and high beams). The end result looks awesome but this takes 4-5 hours not including watching the paint dry...
    [​IMG]

Angry face. I'm going to go led for my day running lights, orange or yellow?
    [​IMG]
    Murdered out when the lights are off
    [​IMG]

Then slapped a little yellow film on the fogs
    [​IMG]

Little car looks long from this angle
    [​IMG]

Aesthetically, this is about it for the year until I get ready for winter mode.
    Next up is more maintenance and maybe some brakes pads depending how autocross goes. Looks like the previous owner did some type of upgrade as the brake pads are a little noisy, more grabby, and green. Maybe EBC green stuff? Haven't investigated yet.

Up next I also need to buy a new helmet before autocross in August, my Snell helmet is too old and everything else is for motorcycles.

Pajerist and Greg like this.
  9. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Weighed the old stereo in at >7.5lbs. New unit weighs just over 1lb. Far from a big weight reduction but at least it's not getting heavier!

10. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Can you compare the sound before/after?

11. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Didn't really listen to the stock unit. I didn't play cd's and the radio only picked up 1 am station, haha.

New unit and wiring harness adapter is completely satisfactory. Far from excellent but quite listenable. In my age I'm more into audio books and radio anyways!

12. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Same here, mostly listen to the local traffic radio...

13. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

"Whats a CD?" - Kids these days. But seriously, I'm all about a USB in both our cars.

You've made some awesome progress on it so far! Rims really look good on it.

14. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Thanks Greg!

This is by FAR the best car I've owned. Fun is such an understatement. I should have bought one of these things years ago. Every sharp corner is like a Christmas gift that I get to shred apart. Now I really want some new coils with a 450/300 spring rate (or more) to see what it can really do! That'll probably need some new tires though, maybe Toyo R1R. I'll wait a season until these Yoko's burn out at autocross.

The Maintenance Update:
    Buying a bunch of maintenance parts. Car just rolled 100 000kms. Planning on timing belt and stuff. Any recommendations to the list is welcome.

Timing belt and idlers
    Intake cam seal (vvt specific)
    Exhaust cam seal
    Front crank seal
    thermostat and gasket
    valve cover gasket
    alternator and water pump belt
    pwr steering and a/c belt
    spark plugs
    Motocraft xt-m5-qs trans fluid
    coolant ~6L

Also looking at getting a seal puller, one like this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-58430-Shaft-Type-Puller/dp/B000FPYW4K

15. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

You're not going to need this for cam seals - they come right out by just taking off the corresponding cam caps. Front crank seals are a pain in the ass, every tool I tried just ends up ripping them up. YMMV, but if it's in there loose enough to come out with that tool, it'll come out with the ole screw-it-with-a-screw method.

16. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Save $20 and buy some more screws, noted :)

17. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

First autox yesterday.
    Finished mid pack. Very satisfied. My rate limiting step is tires, then the driver (haha). These s-drives are great on the street but not competitive. I seen that coming and it was a compromise because I highway commute to work. I'm going to burn these up racing then get some Potenza 71R or Toyo R1R to be competitive locally.
    Unless there is a better option to consider? Only interested in 195/50 or 205/50 r15.

Short term I need to dial in a bit more camber.
    Long term would be a bigger front sway bar...then coils

Edit: Pics!!
    I left the DSLR set up with some waterfall settings...so this was the best my camera lady took. Proof the mazda made it to the course anyways.
    [​IMG]

I took some pics while spotting on the track.
    This guy won overall and PAX in his tricked out RS. I thought the PAX would have been higher for a turbo awd with splitters and sticky tires...He was a solid driver though!
    [​IMG]

Second overall (not PAX) was this guy (but not this lap, haha). Had a lot of fun it this 180:
    [​IMG]

Second PAX was an S2000 also running in STR. The extra hp and 245 tires sure makes these things fast!
    [​IMG]

Some other things...
    Fox body with a turbo'd 5.3 chevy.
    [​IMG]

Some JDM stuff: V7 sti wagon, V2 wrx, and (not pictured) a Cappuccino.
    [​IMG]

Then the rain finally fell and we called it due to lightning/downpour.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Ihatedomestic and Pajerist like this.
  18. pitty

Forget R1Rs. RE71 is probably the "best" 200TW tire you can get for sticking with you through an autox session. Not the most civilized on the street, but livable, however if you put street miles on them, you'll wear them out much sooner than you'd hope. If you want a dedicated track tire, NT01 all day - wouldn't run them on the street at all, though. Both are so noisy on the road that they'll feel jarring compared to the S-drives (forget hearing your radio). Hence, if you plan to both put street miles on the car and do regular track outings, it's best to get a second set of wheels.

Ihatedomestic likes this.
  19. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Previous post edited with pics!

NTo1 is out, too low treadwear for STR class (must be >140UTQG). I won't be national level ever (RHD nationally is always bumped to SM or other hard classes) but I want to stick to the rules locally.

I read at a few places that the 195 R1R is supposed to be THE tire for miata... but its getting to be dated technology. RE71's are about the same price and I'll most likely get those next year. Or just move my S-Drives to my 6.5" enkei's and put the Bridgestones on my konig's asap? Then I'll need a third set of wheels for the shoulder season/dry winter days...decisions!

20. pitty

You already have a spare set of rims, so... Although, keep in mind that you'll find yourself very undersprung on RE71s while running cosmetic lowering springs.