Magnavahn's 2000 GGA bugeye

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by magnavahn, Oct 8, 2016.

1. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

On to another Subaru. This time its a back-up vehicle so reliability was less important. I had some GF (GC) chassis cars and a brief experience with a 2011 GR chassis. Wanted to try a bugeye ever since they became legal.

Bought locally within Alberta. Cost to import has gone up too much…
    Here she is. A november build 2000 wrx hatchback (GGA). An sti would've been preferred but GGB's are rare and too $$ for what I want.
    Work wheels and the same fujitsubo exhaust as the GF8 I imported in 2012. More pic to come, but it snowed last night and I'll build some snowmen first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plans are to make it more acceptable for a daily, probably in this order:
    - diagnose high rpm fuel cut ("fixed", the tune on early GGA's only allow full boost above 70% throttle, limited to wastegate pressure before then)
    - boost gauge, pillar mount
    - polish those headlight
    - replace coolant hoses/coolant
    - block heater & oil pan heater
    - buy winters on wheels
    - yellow film on fog lights
    - replace broken key fob
    - new double din
    - replace steering wheel with a mono airbag wheel or similar
    - remote starter
    - replace projectors with upgraded ones (has the stock hid projectors from an sti)

On the drive home, it seems like the car looses boost above 3750rpm. Likely some type of safety fuel-cut mode coming on. My suspicions on the following:
    - the chip key is broken. Maybe its in some type of valet mode that cuts fuel above XXXXrpm?
    - the waste gate is sticking and it's over boosting (need a boost gauge)
    - other ideas are appreciated

All in all, its nice to in a lighter rhd again.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Murrdawg02 and RyanV like this.
  2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Congrats on the purchase!

Does it totally lose boost or does it stumble? I had a GF8 that would stumble and it turned out to just need the plugs replaced.

3. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Hold up! Snow already!?! Jealous!

4. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Boost cuts out >4000rpm any gear, any throttle position. Rpms will still climb but feels like low boost. Runs great until then. I'm going to start simple first. Try an ecu reset then intake pressure test.

Yep, another "blizzard" purchase. Around 4cm here in central Alberta. Built a snowman today!

5. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Looks great! I've always liked the bug eyes. Looks like some aftermarket trim on the rear bumper? Possibly the skirts as well?

6. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Thanks, I love the "polarizing" look of this generation.
    Yep, aftermarket skirts, grill and front bumper. Some weird little add-on that have a light on the rear and something like a splash guard on the fronts.

Update:
    Getting ready for inspection.

Polished my headlights so they actually transmit light from the housing and repaired my horn.
    Headlights before:
    [​IMG]

After final polish:
    [​IMG]

Took about an hour, this stuff works:
    [​IMG]

Horn button on my aftermarket wheel doesn't work. It appears someone took out the spring and connectors inside the horn button. I'm planning on buying an OEM momo wheel with airbag but I'll do that after inspection. For now I just installed a push button from an electronics store in the aftermarket horn button location. No pics of this.

So I looked at a momo airbag wheel out of a JDM forester ('97) but it has a different type of connector. Now I'm trying to answer the question of:
    - does nadm 2002-04 wrx have the same srs connectors as the JDM of the same year?
    Here's my car:
    [​IMG]

Here's what google tells me that a 2002 nadm wrx looks like:
    [​IMG]

My suspicion is yes, so I'm picking up a wheel on Friday.

7. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Impressive polish job of the headlights! I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit, but yet to use it on the Stagea.
    Cant help you on the steering wheel connector, but you are going to go for inspection before or after you install the airbag steering wheel?
    Hopefully you can find a steering wheel that fits locally!

8. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Thanks, polishing the healights makes the car look like it was from this century at least.
    Inspection before (insurance, not OOP). I have a resistor in the srs connector so their is no airbag light. I have to get the inspection done before my temp insurance runs out, hence the early inspection.

Good luck with your headlight restore- highly worth it

9. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Passed safety inspection today. Tech recommended a new axle seal on the right rear and front cam seal is leaking. I'll do the cam seal when I do the timing belt in the spring.

Also found a momo wheel wih airbag. I'll install that this weekend.

Parts ordered:
    Momo wheel
    Pillar mount Gauge holder
    Boost gauge
    Rally armor mudflaps
    Yellow film for foglights
    New key fob
    New wipers

IanB likes this.
  10. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Confirmed- A 2002 nadm Subaru wrx has the same connectors as a JDM bugeye on the momo wheel.
    However, they are wired a bit differently and I'll have to rewire the horn. No big deal. Pics to come.

11. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I “Fixed” the boost problem (educated myself). In my first GF8 STi I installed a ball and spring manual boost controller than quickly replaced it with a Turboxs high performance mbc. The turboxs unit is a ball and spring and a vent type boost controller in one package. It allowed the car to spool quickly, but was vent adjustable to prevent full boost at part throttle (to some degree). The car had a nice linear feel with respect to throttle position. I was used to that car and my 2011 wrx which would hit full boost much sooner (approx. 25% throttle).
    Apparently, the 2001-2004 wrx doesn’t hit full boost until >70% throttle position. I reset my ecu and went for a test drive to experiment with this knowledge. My car appears be acting normal according to the book. Previously I felt a lack of boost and choose to drive easy until further investigation. The result of limited boost until 70% throttle is building boost until wastegate pressure, then “nothing” until 70% throttle. Feels like an on-off switch at 70% throttle between wastegate pressure and full boost. I have a really strong desire to tune this out now… That’ll come down the list once all maintenance and some aesthetics are resolved.

I filled the void in my console with an Alpine double din. Looks wise, its nicer than the hole it replaced. Sound is improved too. Sarcasm aside, it’s the same deck I had in my first ‘97 GF8 STi and I wanted it again for its quality, performance, and user friendliness.
    [​IMG]

Put on my momo airbag wheel. Old wheel is for sale:
    [​IMG]

New wheel needs pictures taken.

Installed rally armor flaps to preserve my fading paint; the teenage racer in me would be proud. Dirty car looks like it's three kinds of silver here. Had my mouse finger on the black flaps but changed my mind at the last minute. No regrets, yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is the boost gauge and holder. Also looks like one of my valve covers is leaking a bit. Suppose I’ll do that in the coming months, not my first rodeo with leaking Subaru gaskets.

12. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Valve cover gasket parts ordered. I will review seller when parts arrive.

Turbosmart boost gauge and pillar mount installed.
    [​IMG]
    Pillar mount is from eBay seller glowshift:
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291209273085
    Fit is a 7/10. Could be better but it's what I expected for the price.

Turbosmart gauge TS-0101-2025 fit the mount perfectly. Works great, only comment:
    -the vacuum hose supplied doesn't really fit the supplied tee connector. So I used my own tee.

13. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Yellow film on foglights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also bought a new drivers door barrel lock. Unsuccessful break-in required replacement. (Attempted under previous owner, not while I owned the car).

14. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Busy week.

Installed the new key lock for the drivers door.
    Tip: Repair manual says to keep the window up - they're wrong.. I contemplated removing the glass since access was even a challenge for my 5 year old. I decided to try with the window down and it worked perfect. Socket wrench with a bit to tape on the end so I don't drop the bolt, access hole on top.
    [​IMG]

Next up was the block heater. Same as almost every Subaru.
    Remove this freeze plug using a 14mm hex (or a 14mm bolt with some nuts welded on). Eat your wheaties first.
    [​IMG]

Only thing I found different on the GD/GG Subaru is that the heat shield on the header causes a clearance issue with the 34mm socket. My car is rust free enough that I was able to remove the heat shield bolts after an overnight soak in WD40. Finished product (the cord isn't touching the heat shield, just appears that way):
    [​IMG]

Feeling more ambitious I replaced my valve cover gaskets over the last couple days. This repair is documented enough on the internet so I'll just make a separate thread for the part numbers. MY2001 JDM Subaru WRX EJ205 valve cover gasket part numbers.

Then I put on some winters. Picked up a set of Legacy wheels:
    [​IMG]

robbieg likes this.
  15. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Replace the seals on the rear diff a couple weeks back.

I just order a new shifter joint part number 35047AC030. Planning on installing asap, just arrived today.

Pics from the car wash. Considering selling... Think I'm just bored of subaru's and want something that's more of a riot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tperkins likes this.
  16. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Replaced my shifter joint today. Soooo much less wobble.
    Just a terrible repair to do without a lift though. Dropping crossmembers, hammering, tight finger ripping clearances, so glad it's done.
    Old vs new
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How-to is the same as most other subaru's 93-'06. Just ignore any mention of a "spring":
    http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t58760-diy-shifter-wobble-fix.html

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  17. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Officially putting this one up for sale.

I was considering a miata before I bought this car and now I know I made the wrong choice. I just don't need a 5 seater four door when I have 2 other vehicles that can fit the family. So, I will also consider trade with cash +/- for an NA or NB miata. For sale thread to follow.

18. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

No longer for sale. I posted my DD for sale and it sold first (2010 Mitsubishi Outlander). My DD was a solid car, but it is too tight for 3 car seats. Planning on buying a cheap used DD that can fit 3 car seats, probably an import. Thread to follow.

Bonus pics of the wrx:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Greg likes this.
  19. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Getting a weird misfire at high rpms, any throttle position. Changed plugs, fuel filter and cleaned the MAF. Just bought 2 new coil packs and I'll change out 1 side of the motor at a time.
    Side note - damn coil packs are pricy. Searched everywhere and they are at least $150cad each.

20. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota