M Cars

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by RyanV, Mar 1, 2014.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

I know this isn't a forum full of enthusiasts interested in European cars, but doesn't anyone else have an urge to own one or more of BMW's M cars?

I love the idea of the E34 M's and the older styline. For some reason the prices don't seem to high, but I'm a little nervous about the maintenance requirements of the engine in the car. It's essentially a race engine, so the valve clearances and such have to be checked every so often. Yes, it's good to do this in other cars as well, but I think they spec something like 15,000kms the valve clearances should be checked. That could get annoying.

E30 M3's...I'd absolutely love to have one, but they're too damn expensive. I'm definitely kicking myself for not buying a friend's car about 3 years ago. He wanted 10k for it and I'm sure you could sell it now for almost double (if you wanted to sell it).

E36's...It's gotta be eurospec if you get one of these IMO. Otherwise you might as well just buy a 328i. It's basically the same hp as the North American M3 and about half the price.

E39 M5....money car. I want one so bad, but they are getting close to 20k or a bit more for a good one. There are some issues with the car, but it doesn't seem like any of it is insurmountable. Like a lot of cars if you pick up a wrench yourself you can save yourself a lot of $$$. I'd guess I'll own one at one point but we'll see.

2. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

E30 M3s are great cars, but sometimes, I think too overrated...Hot though...e39 M5 is in my short list of cars I want to own one day.

3. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

I disagree so hard.

Maybe a 50hp difference in engine output between a 328 and a NA-spec M3 constitutes "basically the same" to you, but what about the rest? You'll spend double the price difference to get it to M3 level (lighter and stronger suspension, bigger brakes, LSD, reinforced chassis, the cool interior and exterior bits) and you still won't get anywhere near that banshee of a motor. It's the difference between a good engine and a masterpiece engine.

If you want an M3, save yourself the money and buy an M3 - especially if Eurospec is an option. There's no such thing as "almost M3 for half the price".

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

Meh, maybe it's just not worth it to me then. I'm not as much of a fan of the North American spec M3 when the local prices aren't THAT much difference to go "up" to a eurospec.

5. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Oh, no doubt. The eurospec M3 is an upgrade over the US-spec car, the motor in those things is distilled magic - although it's a different cost category in ownership and maintenance. All I'm saying is that 328 is not the same thing as the local M3, and given that prices between the two are getting closer for a similar condition, I'd pay extra for the M any time.

6. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

This must be a good thread if Pitty has left the chatbox to come and post :)

Ya, the NA M3 is definitely a huge upgrade over the 328is even if the motor is nothing compared to the Eurospec. NA M3's in good shape that have been well taken care of, still command a huge premium over a well taken care of 328. For example, When I sold my 328is a few years ago, I could barely get 6K for it and it was mint. Just under 140 kms, no rust etc. An NA M3 in that kind of shape would have cost me at least 10k, probably closer to 12K at that time. That's why I decided to import a Eurospec instead of buying one here. Cheaper, better motor, lower Km's. The only real downside being a lack of Maintence records. There seem to be fewer Euros going through auction these days though, and it seems like prices have gone up a little because of this.

If I was going to do it again though, I would probably still go for a Euro. The only really cheap NA M3's are high-mileage projects. The well maintained low mileage cars still command a premium.

As for other M cars, I'd really like an e34 M5 someday. I've just always loved the classic lines of the e34 body style. M coupe with s54 engine would be sweet as well. As would an e46 M3. Heck, I'd really like any M car that is pre-2006 :)

7. Stokes

Stokes Brad

I'd love to own an e46 M3, e39 M5 or an M Coupe one day. We'll see what the future holds :D I'm currently waiting on my 328i so if that turns out well after I own it for a while I'll probably look into getting an M model and keep the 328 as my daily. You can get all of these for under 20k.

8. Silence*

Silence* Shhh.

I still want to own a Eurospec E36 M3 sedan one day, and I'd loooove a E39 M5 if I had the money. I saw some guy driving a E63 M6 the other week before the deep freeze, I still love the sound of that V10 at WOT.

9. Kilroy

Kilroy Wagon Lover

I'm currently in the market for a 2002-2004 ('04 was the last year they offered this color) Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 convertible with any interior EXCEPT blue. There are currently two available on Kijiji, but both with that awful blue leather interior.

Please forward link/info if you come across such a beast. Maintenance records are a must.