Looking for a FUN car

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cody, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody New Member

Seats I'm not too worried about, I'd probably end up swapping for some brides or something down the road, I've had some vehicles with some awful seats lol thanks for the heads up though!

Id LOVE an s2k but ive seen some in good shape for $16k for the car only. And like $12k for a rough one but never know a good one might come up for a good price!

The high revving of the Altezza is whats kinda interesting me to own one. Very conservative when I just want to cruise and when i want some fun just rev the snot outta it. But I definitely like Scoobys too, which ones did you own?

2. Cody

Cody New Member

I also just got back from camping and I found some very very fun back road logging roads with lots of amazing twistys lol so a rwd or awd would be a hell of a lot more fun than my current daily driver, fwd Ford Escape

3. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Two 1997 gf8 sti's, a 2011 GR WRX, and a 2002 GGA WRX. The classics (93-01) is where it's at.

4. Cody

Cody New Member

Ive noticed that the bugeye sti's are slowly coming down in price. They were around $12-$14k. Now i see them going for $9-$12k..since i have a hard time keeping anything stock would I be better off buying just a wrx and use the rest of the budget for upgrades or go for a sti.. That's the other reason an Altezza seems good, get one for $5-$6k use the rest of my budget for suspension, tire, and BPU

Sorry I know i tend to ramble but I want to get as much info and experience from other people before I bite the bullet and end up regretting my purchase

5. trev

trev New Member

With a $10k budget for a JDM you can aim a lot higher than an Altezza, importing yourself, the sky's the limit as you can pretty much buy whatever you want with a few exceptions with that much money.

6. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

I second that! I vote for Twin Turbo Aristo... AWD? not sure but if they exist it would super cool!
    When you pin your dream car, you can post it here: http://import-era.com/threads/real-garage-vs-dream-car-garage.139/

;)

Good luck,

7. Cody

Cody New Member

Gah such a difficult decision! Lol I know what my dream cars would be but for current car theirs too many.

Another thing that my Buddy's and even my Wife suggested was a gtst (r32 2 door, 33 2 door,or 34 4 door) but my argument is if i were to get that why not get a stagea, same engine, transmission except its AWD

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

AWD, yes, but not TT. The MK1 had a AWD variant that used the 1UZ engine. Also had air bag suspension that I suspect was similar to the Celsior.

For your location my vote is STi (GC8 or GF8). With good winter tires you'd likely be ok with a TT Aristo, but you are into the same temptation to modify as with the STi. Fast, relatively cheap, not too hard to work on, parts are generally available, etc. Check the fuel economy on the Altezza. It's basically the same as a STi, so I don't really see the benefit of getting an Altezza over a STi.

9. Cody

Cody New Member

Rare as t!ts too!

Is their any reason why you opt for the gc8 or gf8 over the gdb? And as for gas mileage I'm honestly not concerned about it lol plus i have a heavy foot at times so I'm sure it's not going to be great mpg. If i wanted good mpg id look for a non turbo car and itd probably be a Euro R CL7

I do like Scoobys but just the boxer engine makes me weiry, when I look st them i dont know what I'm looking at lol if its a 350sbc or 22re i can fix them with my eyes closed lol

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  10. RyanV

RyanV Member

I haven't driven a GDB, so I can't compare to the earlier chassis, but I've had both GC8 and GF8. Also, I don't think the GDB fits your budget, but the GC8 or GF8 will.

11. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I've driven both chassis (and own the wrx version of the bugeye). The gd/gg chassis is quite a bit heavier, about 300lbs, but feels more stiff and corners nicely. In my experience, the early years are the most fun and driver orientated cars. That's why I sold my 2011 after just 4 months. As "fun" is your thread title, the gc/gf chassis would be my vote. Your budget allows a clean STi and room to modify.

Knowing how to repair your Jdm is important; it will breakdown.

Just to throw a curve ball out there- have you considered multiple vehicles? For $10k you could probably get a wrx and an altezza. Jdm's are more fun when you don't have to rely on a single 20 year old car to get to work everyday. Many of the members here have 2 or more imports.

IanB likes this.
  12. RyanV

RyanV Member

Yep! :) So when/if you need to work on your car you aren't pressed to get it done in a single evening or weekend because you have another you can still drive :) At least that's part of my justification for having multiple vehicles :D

Ihatedomestic likes this.
  13. Cody

Cody New Member

Well when i import my first JDM car ill still have my current car, a 2006 Ford Escape, fwd. Id most likely just swap the insurance over from my current DD to the other car and if/when the jdm one breaks down i can always just swap it back and still have transportation to get me to work

14. Cody

Cody New Member

Another question. Im going to Vancouver next month for a week or two and figure since I'm down there might look for a car.. Now are all the rumours about www.velocitycars.ca true? Are they pushy and sell $hitty cars?. What about www.jdmcarimport.com or are their any other jdm dealerships I can check out?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  15. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Here http://import-era.com/threads/vancouver-velocity-cars.982/ you can find not only rumors but also some facts :(

I can say that sales are pushy at the level YOU allowed them to be/act. Just ignore them and mind your business...
    If you are ready to import by yourself why bother to buy from a stealership while you can keep extra dough in your pockets?

16. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Never heard about them though they are 10 minutes away from my home :) Surprise, surprise!
    Do you want me to check them out?

17. Cody

Cody New Member

Mainly cause I'm impatient lmao but seriously i was thinking about checking them out, go for a test drive or two and figure out what i like best and either import or buy from the stealership if it was an okay enough price.

My coworker knows I've been looking for a fun car and he offered me a 1990 Honda Civic EF Hatchback 5 speed. 150,000km. Was his uncles DD then it was given to him but now the alternator died and he doesn't wanna fix it.. $600 obo told him it tempted cause growing up i drooled over the EF civics and CRXs.. Itd be a perfect candidate for a b16 or b18 swap.. Lol

18. Cody

Cody New Member

If you want to that'd be awesome! but dont need to like i said I'll be down there next month so if you don't get around to it no worries bud :)

19. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

No worries, Cody! See their inventory and let me know what do you want me to check out.

20. Cody

Cody New Member

Well my wife decided to buy me a gift (something I've been eyeing up for awhile) to give me motivation to buy my car lol

Attached Files:

robbieg likes this.