Looking for a FUN car

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cody, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Cody

Cody New Member

Hey everyone new here, I live in Makenzie, BC. I come from alot of building 4x4 Chevys (88-98) and Toyota pickups (87-95) but I'm looking for a change. Ever since i was little I have always wanted a "cool Japanese car" when I was younger that was a EG6 Civic, now I want something more practical. Im looking at either Subaru Legacy b4 or sf5 Forester, or Toyota Aristo V300, or an Altezza. Reasons i think Subarus is awd would be great for year round fun, but then the Aristo.. Well.. 2jzgte lol no explanation needed and the Altezza would be a good alternative with that 3sge and highway twistes.. Anyone have any input on these or think of any other alternative car? My budget is around $10K

2. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Welcome to the site, Cody! You have a very healthy budget. Iy should be more than enough to get what you want. I would say you list for shopping is quite wide.
    Depends on your driving needs/habits you need to narrow the list I guess. It is hard to suggest anything to you without knowing your needs. From another side, you can search for all cars from your list and bid on the first with 4B grade at least. It is a lot of fun and the whole importation process is very enjoyable and rewarding. I would start from http://auction.pacificcoastjdm.com/auctions/?p=project/models&mrk=9

Good luck!

3. Cody

Cody New Member

Well my driving habits, mostly highway driving. I drive back and fourth from Mackenzie to Prince George weekly almost. I do enjoy spirited driving, my right foot becomes heavy at times lol, winter time i drifted my trucks on every empty corner i could find. I enjoy the twisty highways between here and Dawson Creek (pine pass) i have been more inclined to grip rather than drift lately though

4. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

I can tell you based on my personal experience.
    The most fun cars to drive in the city were Toyota Soarer 4.0L, BMW 540i, Nissan Fairlady TT, Mercedes C280.
    The most comfortable and serene cars to drive on highway were Toyota Celsior 4.0L, Nissan Cedric 3.0L

From your list, I would bid on Toyota Aristo TT. I bet it will be a blast to drive in the city and comfy enough on a highway.

Just my 2 cents ;)

5. Cody

Cody New Member

Ive been looking at Celsiors too but the newer ones with the 3uz fe in it. Thank you for your input!

And with the 540i what engine did it have? And assuming that it was an e39?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  6. celicarefugee

celicarefugee New Member

I would imagine in BC you have the opportunity to test drive JDM cars from the importers there. I went with an Altezza because I wanted something smaller RWD akin to a GT86 but without the expense or the Subaru engine, I don't have it yet so I can't tell you what it's like to drive. I also wanted something that was sold here in some form so I don't have to worry about importing brakes and windshields and other common items I might need. I was also considering a ST185 Celica for a long time but the ST185 got too old by the time I had money to buy and the ST205 is just murder to get parts for. There is a pretty good user base out there for the Caldina, so if you don't mind an automatic that might be one to consider also.

7. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I would say a Subaru sti. Whatever version. Everytime I drive one of those I get a smile on my face. The price for preformance and year round fun is totally worth it. Parts for the big eye sti are easy to get local. And that subby rumble. Soooo good

8. Cody

Cody New Member

Being in BC the only importers i know of are a 10+hr drive one way for me and same with my friends who own imports all live down in Vancouver area and im up in the mountains lol. Thats kinda why i was interested in the Altezza, close to the 86 but no expense like a new car lol and the Caldinas are cool but they're fugly and I don't want one lol. Let me know how the altezza is though :)

9. Cody

Cody New Member

Indeed i do love the bang for buck on the sti's but id probably have to save a bit more to get one, and if i were to get one i dunno if id want a bugeye, might wait for a blob (peanut) eye to become legal for import

10. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

You are welcome! Celsior would be an ultimate highway cruiser for sure!

My bimmer was e34 that time. Came with 4.0L engine. Real fun to drive in the city but fun was ended at gas station, 19-21L/100km if you drive like an enthusiast :)
    Sold without any regret.
    Also, you know that real meaning of BMW is Break My Wallet, right?

I would think about Soarer, may be not 4.0L but 3.0L engine as a choice for highway and city driving...

11. Cody

Cody New Member

Lol yeah I'm quite aware of what bmw stands for thanks for all your help!
    And random question.. I notice a lot of mx5 builds and videos.. Would that be a fun car? Mind you I don't know if I'd fit in one lmao I'm 6'2" and 240lbs

12. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

As for mx5, you will fit for sure if a roof has taken off :)

FYI http://import-era.com/threads/ps-miata.997/

If seriously, mx5 is not fun for me but it could be fun for you. You never know until you try by yourself... I suggest finding locally models considered by you and take for a test drive. Also, consider the ability to pass OOP for registration purpose...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  13. Cody

Cody New Member

14. celicarefugee

celicarefugee New Member

B-Pro has a 2002 R-grade one listed on their page with some hideous wheels, but it's going cheap.

15. Cody

Cody New Member

Lol the silver one with some ugly ballin looking 17s? Yeah ive already been eyeing that one up

16. celicarefugee

celicarefugee New Member

Ya, I don't know if he actually still has it, it was there when I started shopping for mine. I don't know how he found an eligible 2002 in April/May either, must have been built on New Years day :)

17. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

What I heard, Altezza has not too comfortable seats for a long drive. Be aware, especially considering your height...
    Good luck anyway!

18. Braden

Braden New Member

S2000 might fit the budget.
    I miss mine. A lot.

19. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Altezza's can be fun, but I would consider awd if you live where it snows.
    In my opinion, the altezza needed the snot rev'd out of them to feel fun. I wasn't in it for long enough to judge the seats for long rides, but they were inferior to my older subaru's.
    Subaru are great value and a blast to drive, I've had four of them now. Quick in the summer and controlled drifting in the winter.

20. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Last time I was looking for prices, S2000 in decent condition were over 10K for a car only, so importation will be definitely over the budget.
    But never know until try...

Good luck,