Legacy GT-B e-tune intermittent misfire and hesitation under load

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by jsdub1, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Bushman

Bushman New Member

I'm very happy in a I miss my GTB kinda way... Congrats man! Been following this thread,good work.

2. jsdub1

jsdub1 Mister

haha thanks man.. I am just glad to have her back and running for the snow. that sucks man, it hurts when a suby dies. I still feel for you man. one day! blitzen gtbs are legal this fall ;)

3. jsdub1

jsdub1 Mister

Just an update to this thread, it was a bad / dead injector - it fully gave out about 60kms after the cleaning / flow testing. The car is not yet running 100% (it's like 90%), so I believe there's some gunk in the fuel system or a clogged filter. I've got a new one and if not, then a pump. I've tested literally everything else so at least I am at the end.

Funny shit though, after I got a new injector to replace the dead one, not 100kms later, my tranny blew. I knew it would happen eventually (the something in the tranny went on my drive home from Van when I imported the car.) So I am going to go buy a lottery ticket!

4. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

That is brutal man! sorry to hear about your luck! What is the plan now, selling or replacing the transmission?

5. jsdub1

jsdub1 Mister

Hahaha man it's been a ride. I found a super awesome guy here in Calgary to help me (read: do most of the work), we found a transmission for $400 and swapped it in to my car, plus labour it was only $1300 ish so I am sucking it up. If much else happens though, I am going to have to part out :(

6. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

That is really bad luck, was it auto or manual?

7. jsdub1

jsdub1 Mister

it was a manual. It started whining on the day i got it so I knew it would happen at some point but the timing was actually so ridiculous hahah. I can't even be mad about it.

Any we got the new tranny in there after some struggles and now I am just waiting on a shifter assembly. she'll be back on the road tomorrow!

8. jsdub1

jsdub1 Mister

Hesitation issue solved. Inspected fuel tank and replaced pump / filter. There is goop in the tank so I will need to clean it or replace it before long!

9. robbieg

robbieg Does this and that from time to time

Yeah. Sometimes you find stuff like this that reminds us that these cars are actually pretty old - and have been used.

Rough go. Good job digging for answers!

jsdub1 likes this.
  10. jsdub1

jsdub1 Mister

Meh, doesn't seem like there's any lasting damage and I did get some planned upgrades done as a result. I just hope this can help someone diagnose one day.

edit: the tranny got pulled apart and the gears were fine. Was the centre diff bearing.

11. Perron

Perron New Member

Well jsdub1, your post is helping me diag with my 01 BH5

I'm having some of the same problems as you were, shaking on startup with misfire, sometimes it's totally fine and especially works best on ECU restart. I've been on the same trail as you with replacing cheep shit and going from there. I've only replaced the spark plugs so far, that helped but it came back. Really considering it's something in the fuel system now after reading this thread. how hard was it to get to the injectors?

Did you ever get any codes? I've been getting code P0340 (camshaft position sensor) AND P0171 (System to Lean) off and on. Sometimes the engine lights on when starting up, sometimes it's not. but it'll always flick on when driving highway speeds.