Land Cruiser Prado 4x4 questions

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by Dah_Hunter, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I have a 2000 Land Cruiser prado Auto.

They have full time 4wd, then you can go to High 4WD Locked or Low 4WD locked.

Mine has Front locking Hubs on it. If i go and Unlock them. The truck acts like its in Neutral.
    If i put it in 4wd High locked, then it is rear wheel Drive. (Front hubs are unlocked)

Is this normal behavior. I have never had a Full time 4WD vehicle with Manual Front Hubs before.

Thanks for any advice

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

I don't know what the Prado chassis came with, but if it was full time 4wd I guess it probably didn't come with front locking hubs. But if you unlock them it's like the center diff is open sending all drive to the front so the truck won't move. If you check underneath, do you see the front drive shaft spinning with the hubs unlocked?

3. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Ya factory it didnt come with Locking front Hubs.

and yes im pretty sure it spins.

So should i just put this down as normal operation, i thought it made sence but i wanted to double check with someone else

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

I think so, but @IanB might have some constructive input as he has put locking hubs on his 80. The transfer case and center diff setup could be different on the 80 though allowing hubs to be unlocked and still run without locking the center diff. I also made a change to the transfer case when I had the locking hubs put in my 80. It makes it a true part time 4wd set up with the front not running at all unless I lock the center diff. If you just put the locking hubs in the front of an 80 the front driveshaft etc will still be turning.

5. IanB

IanB New Member

Normal operation. Open differentials will always send the power to the wheel with the least traction. Front hubs disengaged, CDL unlocked, it will try and send all power to the front wheels, but the hubs are disconnected, so the front driveline will just spin and the truck won't move. Lock the CDL, and it sends power to both the front and rear axles equally, giving you RWD with the front hubs disengaged.

I put this together the other day for a post related to my driveline setup on my 80 series, other than the F&R lockers, the same applies here:

"Normal operation = full time AWD (CDL unlocked, F&R unlocked, part time hubs engaged)
    With this hardware, the following is also possible:
    4x4 = CDL locked, F&R unlocked, part time hubs engaged
    4x4 w/ rear diff locked = CDL & rear diff locked, front diffs unlocked, part time hubs engaged
    4x4 w/ front & rear diff locked = CDL, front, & rear diffs locked, part time hubs engaged
    2wd = CDL locked, F&R unlocked, part time hubs disengaged
    2wd positrac = CDL, & rear diff locked, front diff unlocked, part time hubs disengaged"