Kei car export certificate issues

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by dmnd, Jun 12, 2015.

1. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

So, AFAIK Kei Car registration omits the month of when the vehicle was first registered. So when it comes to the Export Certificate, the month is not there. And I do not believe they ever list the month and date of manufacture on any export certificate, which I just realized recently.

So my customs broker shoots me an e-mail this morning telling me I'm going to have to somehow get my exporter to get the first registration month onto the export certificate. I call him and he informs me that the new woman working at Customs is strict and will require a month to be noted on the export certificate.

Hmm... There are lots of Kei cars in Canada and i'm quite certain none of them have an initial registration month on the original export certificate, so what's the course of action here?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. RyanV

RyanV Member

Is your kei a 2000 model year? If not, I don't see why a month would be required...

3. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

Negative, it's a 1999. Customs broker even explained to me he's had customers with older cars ie. older than 25 years. Where the original registration date is unknown and he still needed them to get something that had a month on it. But if the Ministry in Japan doesn't even have a month, how is this to be handled? They should really start putting the month and manufacture on export certificates, not just the first time it was registered. What do they do when someone buys a car that was 15 years old in January, but it was never registered until March or April. Yet the car arrives in Canada in February?

Paging the experts @Derek @Dah_Hunter

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Mark - Brave Auto

Mark - Brave Auto JDM Auction Agent/Exporter

Oh yes...... I have encountered her many times, that's why I am going grey.

If you email me the Japanese export document and the translatation your exporter gave you I will try and sort it out for you.

You will find my email address on my website - www.braveautointernational.jp

Cheers

Mark.

tperkins likes this.
  5. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I havent brought in a kei car in a couple years.. and at the time it wasnt an issue but i remember the export sheet didnt have the month. Only on Keis are the sheets like that for some reason. due to the different registrations or something in Japan.

hope Mark can help you he is you best option.

i hate customs people like that.. if its 16 years old then the month doesnt matter.

6. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Interesting...I didn't know this. Just checked my export cert. and it only does have the year. Not that this helps you any though...sorry.

I agree with Dah_Hunter...past 16 years, what should it matter?

7. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

Definetly an eye brow raiser... Lots of Kei's come in on the West Coast, so obviously there's some sort of way they are being cleared by this new customs officer.

I however do have my suspicion of how so many Kei's have been brought over and yet this is the first time hearing about this issue.

So i'm eager to see if Mark can find a proper solution to this.

8. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I think its really just the one Lady at customs.. but it sounds like Mark has delt with this before. so im sure he will get you hooked up.

9. trev

trev New Member

Absurdity.

10. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

So we came to a consensus that me heading down to Vancouver and clearing it myself would probably be the best bet.

Thankfully I work in the airline industry and can fly out to Vancouver on standby at a moments notice. And I happen to have work off the week after my car lands.