JDM Honda Civic EK3 4 Door Stereo install

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Dah_Hunter, May 21, 2014.

1. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Im not a honda expert..

So i have this honda coming in for my brother.. and he wants a Better head unit..

This is the Stock console in the JDM honda civic:
    [​IMG]

and this is the Console in the NA comparable Unit:
    [​IMG]

I was surprised at the differences is for sure..
    The JDM one looks way better.

anyways.. im hoping this will work.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Metra-99-7891-Honda-Civic-96-98/dp/B0002BEYJA

I will be updating this thread when it gets here with info etc about the install

2. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

I'll be interested to see if the install works fine as well....the JDM console looks like the climate control is electric, that console for the NA spec car looks manual...?

3. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Well turns out i didnt need that kit after all.. Oh well.

So i didnt take many photos during the install but here is my Example photo. and the steps:

[​IMG]

Removing the Stereo from a 1996 Honda Civic VI (RHD JDM)
    First you have to pop the glove box down, Just pull the sides in a bit to pop it off the rails.(In Left side Red)
    This will reveal 2 Screws (Left side Blue)

Then on the Right side the panel below the steering colum has to be removed. It has 3 screws and 3 clips holding it in.
    On the far right bottem there is one, and the far right top above the fuse box access panel.
    Then there is one on the left side bottem (Right Red)
    Once those screws are out, you can carefully pull at the panel till the clips pop out.

Under you will see 2 screws (Right Blue)

Next you have to remove the Ashtray and lighter panel. This will only have 2 screws left holding it now. One is right above the Lighter, and the other is in the ashtray (You have to open it FYI) (Middle Yellow) (There is a power cable there as well so be careful when you pull it)

The Stock Deck is screwed in with 8MM bolts from the back. so you have to reach up while laying in a not comfortable way. The are hard to see, because they are hidden by the plastic brackets. but they are there trust me. once you have those you can reach up behind the deck and disconnect the plugs that attached it to the harness.

Then Bye Bye Tape player:
    [​IMG]

And in went the JVC:
    [​IMG]

This is the unit I went with this time:
    http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KD-R950BT...m_sbs_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=048PSYTGFPQ2QXHSEADN
    (Quite Happy with it)

I also Wired in the Mic for the Hands free. I ran the Cable up and into the guage cluster, and mounted it in the middle. i think it looks good:
    [​IMG]

4. silent112

silent112 Ryan

Wow, it redlines at 7!! I knew these stereos would be a pain to install, usually with Hondas you have to dismantle from below or beside and work your way up.
    My stereo is sitting in looseish so if I ever have wiring problems or want to change something I just yank it out.
    The door panels should be fairly simple to pop off if you wanted to upgrade the speakers

5. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

I recently had a 1998 Acura 1.6 EL, you have to remove SO many screws to get the binnacle out properly without breaking it, nice job!
    I think the rims look great too, and if it has the sportier Si and Acura EL style suspension, I found it superb, overall one of my favorite cars, except the seats didn't fit me in the Acura, how do you find them in this one?