Japanese Radio Hacks

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Darksider, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Darksider

Darksider New Member

I thought I would share some things that have helped me use the existing stereo's in my imports and see if others have some ideas. The cars I have brought in have good equipment so prefer to use them if possibe.

So far I've been unable to find a way to switch languages. So to read the screens I've used the Google translate app. Download Japanese and your smartphone uses the camera to "read" Japanese and translate. Not perfect but has helped me find bluetooth menus etc.

Local radio bands: I bought a small digital reciever from amazon ( https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/ya?ac=b...reorder_params=B078KRJGD8,702-5537732-6530630 ) and plug it into the Auxiliary connection.

Im currently waiting on a used ipod nano 6th generation from ebay. These and the 5th generation had fm tuners. I plan to connect it to an ipod cable and hopefully that will give me local radio and MP3 storage.

Any other ideas out there?

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

It can depend a bit on the manufacturer, but for BMW you can get into the setup and change the region. I think they didn't do this until sometime in the early 2000's though. I tried for my 2000 M5, but it is not new enough to have this feature :(

3. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

4. Darksider

Darksider New Member

Attached Files:

5. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Thank you. The link is working. If it is working, I would say definitely a solution to go!
    But looks like it needs a battery which could be a hassle to change...

6. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

A little more discrete for FM tuning is this
    It plugs in between the antenna and the head unit and allows you to pick up local channels. I have used it once and had success. Some people complain of static, but as long as you get one with good reviews it should be fine. Its only odd that if you want to listen to say 98.5 fm, you'd tune in 10 or 15 hertz lower to 88.5 or 83.5 to pick up the channel.

7. Darksider

Darksider New Member

I've heard of these. It looks like it needs power to work. What did you tap into?

8. Murrdawg02

Just tapped off the switched power feeding the head unit. They dont draw much power so no need to run an independent line.

9. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Bluetooth/Aux is probably only available on German cars of that era.
    I personally nave never seen BT/Aux on OEM units on Japanese brands (Toyota, Nissan, MMC) 2002 or older.
    Maybe it will be available on 2005+ models?

I just prefer complete head unit replacement if it is possible. Some cars have not standard size stereo or it is integrated with climate control, so it is not possible.

10. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Does it cost a lot? Also, I've heard many horrible stories how installers messed up with wiring and cars had problems with ignition etc

11. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

No,
    you can get decent BT/USB/Aux single DIN brand name (Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood) stereo on sale for around $100 or 2DIN (with touch screen, video, camera support) $200-300.
    Installation is pretty easy, I always done myself, it just connecting wires with same color together.
    You even don't need to cut/splice/change any factory wire (so you can't really mess) if you buy harness for $5 (this is example for Toyota).
    After you connect that harness to the harness which comes with aftermarket stereo it just plug and play.

Greg and Murrdawg02 like this.
  12. Darksider

Darksider New Member

I added one of these to my Kenwood deck. Works pretty good, although still missing some stations. Doing the math is hard on the head (:

13. Darksider

Darksider New Member

I also tried connecting an iPod nano with an FM tuner via an iPod connection. Unfortunately it only works for Mp3 and not for the tuner.

14. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Do they have "preset" channel option? Set it up into memory and do not worry about numbers...

15. Murrdawg02

It would depend on your head unit. If it has preset options (which I can't think of a aftermarket or stock stereo that doesn't), then you can save 88.5fm to your preset and it will always play what is on 98.5, for example.
    But I agree with @Megatol, unless you are trying to keep the original stock head unit or keep an aftermarket JDM goodness head unit, it is way easier and makes way more sense to use a north American aftermarket unit. I have done that in my last couple of cars, and just spliced in a new unit, without bothering with a harness jumper. I'm not much of a electrical guy, and as long as you aren't colour blind I don't think you will have an issue matching up the wires.

Pajerist likes this.