Interesting Brochure / odd Canadian Isuzu history!

Discussion in 'Isuzu' started by dagleykd, Apr 22, 2014.

1. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Hi all,

I had posted this on the Japanese Nostalgic Car forums awhile back, but I thought you folks might enjoy it as well! :) (copy-pasted with a bit of editing)

~A brief bit of history first for those of you not from the Great White North - Isuzu as a brand, has barely ever sold their cars directly in Canada from their own dealerships other than commercial trucks which they do still sell here. Apparently, Isuzu DID sell their cars under their own name in Canada in the mid 1960s; imported as CKD kits (they were assembled by Canadian Motor Industries ) but other than then and now, that was the only other time that I am aware of! We have, however, had Isuzu cars sold here as captive imports. The first of these ventures was General Motors Canada's 'Passport International Automobiles' project from 1988-1991 and it involved selling many Isuzus, Suzukis, Saabs, and a rebadged Daewoo LeMans here through GM and 'Passport' dealerships. After that faltered, they changed ideas and started selling these same cars not under the 'Passport' name, but as their own, new captive import marque 'As?na' from 1993-1994. Sadly, this failed too, and Isuzu cars stopped being sold here at all since...

Now, being a car nut in general, I have a lot of weird stuff laying around the house, but this one comes from before my time! Attached to the link below is a full high-res scan of a pamphlet I found for the 1990 Isuzu Impulse (called the Isuzu Piazza everywhere else in the world!) and Isuzu Stylus (called the Isuzu Gemini everywhere else in the world!) here in Canada as sold through the aforementioned 'Passport' scheme....I would've been 4 in 1990, so it's not something that I collected, but I was quite surprised and excited to find the not-all-that-beat-up brochure sitting in a box in our storage room, haha!

Maybe some of you fellow car nuts can get some enjoyment out of it as I have, and add it to your own digital collections! :)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B12fKq2RKj81U3Z6WnZqSExGQjA/edit

(NOTE: Download it to your hard drives first as Google Drive doesn't seem to display all the colors quite as vividly when viewed online!)~

Cheers and enjoy! :)

2. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Haha...nice find. I worked at the Saturn Saab Isuzu dealership in Halifax! Thanks for bringing up the terrible memories ;)
    Those cars were ok, but rust was a big issue. The AWD Impulses were a rare sight, probably because they were huge piles of junk and expensive to keep running.
    The worst part about the Isuzu cars: all the manuals were paper copies with any updates or amendments just scribbled on the pages in pen, marker or even grease pencil. Actually, the very worst part was my manager at the time...crooked as f**k.
    Again...bad memories...but a good find.

3. dagleykd

I didn't know they were so prone to rust, there were still a few Impulses on the road (and Asuna Sunfires) around here up until a few years ago. I always just thought I didn't see many because they didn't sell well.

Sorry to bring up such bad memories for you, haha! :p

4. trev

trev New Member

Eh, the 1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD was one of my "dream cars" back in the day. Had a couple opportunities to buy them over the years but never pulled the trigger... either a bit too much money or a bit too much rust. IIRC without hitting google, they liked to snap timing belts.

5. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Ha! Ive been in one of these asuna cars. Its was 2001-2 so I doubt its still running. Cool find.

6. dagleykd

Haha, thanks! I don't even remember where it came from, just found it around the house! I've got a lot of older car brochures laying around, but very few for Japanese stuff...there's a '97 Neon, an '82 Pontiac Grand LeMans and a '76 Camaro brochure sitting up in front of me on a shelf at the moment!

I'm not very into "American" stuff now, but was moreso when I was a kid. That being said, the Pontiac and Camaro brochures are from my parents (they always had domestic stuff as I was growing up...a '76 or so Chrysler Cordoba, a '83 Pontiac LeMans wagon, an '88 or so Pontiac 6000 wagon). The Neon one (and a lot of other random brochures I have here) came from the Halifax International Auto Show back in '97 when I was 11, lol.

I still don't mind Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, and as I'm quirky, I'm a FIAT fan, so there is that link to keeping all the now-FCA brochures around. :)

7. trev

trev New Member

We had a Saturn Saab Isuzu in Kelowna. They sold new cars and SUVs in the 90s here ...