Insurance in NS

Discussion in 'Maritimes' started by Ihatedomestic, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Having trouble with insurance for the Beat...

Economical is a no-go at the moment.

Please post any JDM/RHD friendly insurance companies that you know of or deal with directly.

2. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Dont know if any of these are out your way, but here is a list of Alberta ones you could give a try. You'll find one dont worry. I'd personally recommend Co-operators, here they didnt even blink an eye at full coverage.

3. Ihatedomestic

I'll follow on your lead:

1990 Honda CRX Si
    Economical
    PLPD, Comp and collision
    Existing (almost 10 years)

1996 Subaru WRX Sti (sold)
    Economical
    PLPD only (only coverage offered)
    Existing

1999 Subaru Legacy GT-B
    Economical
    PLPD only (only coverage offered)
    Existing

1993 Honda Beat
    TBD. Declined by Economical.
    Looking for PLPD only
    New

dagleykd and Murrdawg02 like this.
  4. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

You're already covered with Economical and they're refusing to add another vehicle to your policy? Ouch. I knew Economical, Dominion and Intact stopped taking new RHD customers 2 years ago.
    In NS the only other non-Facility option is RSA, and they'll want more than one vehicle in order to insure it. Call a few brokers. I'm using James Mizzi at MacDonald Chisolm Trask - 902-421-2838.

If you find any good leads, report back! I'm paying a good price full coverage on the Evo but am getting hosed royally on the Mazdaspeed.

dagleykd likes this.
  5. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

I'll be watching this thread with interest....I forget who I am with off the topof my head, but it is either Intact or Economical....pretty sure it is Economical, so this thread would apply to me for when I go to import my ride!

6. mademiriam

mademiriam New Member

Any updates on this? Getting our mini truck in a couple weeks and my usual insurance can't cover it.

7. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

For the record, if ihatedomestic doesn't notice your post in this thread, you could ask him over in his Beat thread (http://import-era.com/threads/so-i-guess-i-bought-a-beat.1146/) or send him a PM! I'm sure he wouldn't mind telling you who he went with! :)

(Noticed this is your first post, welcome to the forum! Glad to see another Nova Scotian / another Kei enthusiast! :p Head on over to the Introduction Thread and introduce yourself! http://import-era.com/threads/introduction-thread.28/page-9#post-17212)

8. Ihatedomestic

Hey Miriam,
    Glad to hear that your truck will soon be here!
    Let me know if you folks need a hand getting it out of the port...some people have had issues...I have yet to have a problem :)

I have gone with Facility for coverage on the Beat. Michelle at WCL Bauld in Dartmouth was the best fit for me. She deals with a lot of imports and seems to know and care about our usual vehicles. She comes highly recommended from me. Send me a p/m if you'd like her contact info.

Welcome to the forum!

Greg likes this.
  9. mademiriam

mademiriam New Member

Awesome thanks for the welcome guys.
    ihatedomestic I will PM you about Michelles' contact info. And about how to get it out of autoport jail. :o I've decided to complete my experience by self brokering...so I'll be jumping through all the hoops before I even get to that.

10. Rygar

Another option for you is to have your broker contact RSA, is probably cheaper than Facility.

11. Ihatedomestic

Sorry, RSA is my insurance provider...based on the value of the car.

12. mademiriam

mademiriam New Member

The Co-operators agent I deal with for our house and cars did up a facility quote for me... $2995 for the year for liability... lets just say I'm still looking

13. mademiriam

mademiriam New Member

Michelle at WCL Bauld is awesome.
    But now it seems I will be needing an appraisal, anyone know a local appraiser with decent fees?

14. Ihatedomestic

I'm going to call tomorrow to see if I can get all 3 cars done in one shot, relatively soon. I think Michelle is waiting for my appraisal. It's over due. Whoops!
    I'll p/m you the fellas info. He does appraisals for a lot of the antique & special interest cars around the area. He's in Fall River...might pay extra and have him come to me....or stop by his place every evening on the way home from work...with a different car each day.

15. mademiriam

mademiriam New Member

Fall River is perfect for me so let me know how that goes, would take me 5 min to get there.

16. Rygar

She is going through Facility, fyi.

17. mademiriam

mademiriam New Member

Yes, she also does have the ability to go through RBC insurance but that requires the rest of the cars in the household switched over. We get a good deal on our cars with our current insurer so even with the fee for the appraisal we are better off with facility.

18. Rygar

RSA, not RBC :)

Hope it works out well!

19. mademiriam

mademiriam New Member

you're right its Royal Sun Alliance, I saw the file called 'Royal quote' and jumped to conclusions.

20. Rygar

Pretty limited here! I am getting an appraisal this year so I can see what Facility will end up charging, as RSA is hosing me on the Mazdaspeed.

mademiriam likes this.