In need of Nissan Expert advice!

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by FuzzyLogic, Jun 16, 2018.

1. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic New Member

As some of you may know, I have a 97 Terrano (pathfinder) on the way. When I was going through the photos i noticed that there is a 2wd, auto, lock dial on the dash board. There is a also a floor shifter that enables the driver to put the vehicle into 2wd, 4wd-H and 4wd-L. So I am curious as to how to properly use this system without damaging any components. I dont have an owners manual for this particular vehicle, but if someone does, it would be nice to have a PDF copy of it!

As far as I understand if this system is in auto mode, it basically pops the vehicle into 4wd when needed. What if the floor shifter is in the 2wd position but I have the dial on auto, i cant imagine the vehicle ever going into 4wd if the system detects slippage. What if the floor shifter is in 4wd-H but the dial is on 2wd? Does that mean that the vehicle is in 2wd, or 4wd no matter what? I cant seem to make sense of it at all.

I would greatly appreciate if someone would be able to explain this to me. Ive been searching all over the web to no avail.

BF802683_36.jpg BF802683_37.jpg BF802683_38.jpg

2. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

I'm not sure, but I believe the console switch would be for your center diff control and the floor shifter for the 4x4 control. So if you are in 4x4 with the diff lock it would always spin all the tires. Does that make sense?

3. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic New Member

Yes that makes sense. But I'm wondering what it would do in the scenarios described in my original post. I just don't have a very good understanding of how the system operates. It seems a little user unfriendly, if you know what I mean.