Importing to California

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by BraydonR, Aug 5, 2015.

1. BraydonR

BraydonR New Member

I posted this as a reply in my USA thread but I thought I'd post here too.

I've talked to every govt agency I could today. NHTSA, EPA, CA DMV, Customs in Long Beach and they were all 100% ok with my import of the 1989 Nissan S-Cargo. Then I get to the last one, the Bureau of Auto Repairs and some technician comes on the line and immediately tells me it's a dirty car and it will never happen, because California leads the way and refuses to accept federal standards. Like a complete asshole. That's funny, I see grey market cars for sale in California every day. So there is way. Just not through that prick. So if anyone knows a workaround, please let me know. Thanks.

2. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Time to talk to a different technician, you can talk to lots of different people and get different opinions, just goto someone else and then someone else until they will let it in, and you can prove to them it will pass emmissions no problem.

3. BraydonR

BraydonR New Member

Thank you. We will see. It seems like more trouble than it's worth right now though.

4. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

I would be very interested in a first hand account of what is involved with importing to the States, especially California.. so keep the updates coming! Good luck.

IMPUL likes this.
  5. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

We send a lot of cars to the US and as far as I have run into, California is the only stubborn state. I have heard of multiple people having trouble registering imports there due to emissions. I tell Californian buyers that there is probably no way to register in Cali, but all other states should be fine.

6. RZFD3S

RZFD3S New Member

Your best option in California is to locate a diesel. I know the S-Cargo doesn't come in diesel but check around for different vehicles.
    Any gasoline vehicle newer than 1975 is going to be a pain for CARB compliance.