Importing To Atlanta

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by Dclevs, May 16, 2018.

1. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

I recently purchased a 93 Toyota Soarer (1jz-gte) at auction in japan through Pacific Coast Auto, and currently waiting for shipment as well as the documents to be mailed. This would be my first import and so far things have gone relatively smooth. If anyone could provide input on the process from here on getting it through customs (PCA has a broker they are getting me in touch with so that should work alright) and then getting it registered in Georgia. I've found insurance through Best Collectors Insurance which is like a sub branch or sister company of USAA (which is my main provider) and got a nice quote from them, but their policy is for 7500 miles max a year. I intend to use this car fairly often though, I bought this over an st205 because it is possible to use as a smooth daily driver and parts are fairly swappable with sc300's and supra's over here. But is there a way to get regular insurance for this thing? I've contacted everyone from USAA (multiple people) to geico and progressive, and no one has a clue what to do about it. I've searched forums and people generally state it's an easy process to get an insurance provider to do it, but I'm going to need to register the car first I'm guessing.
    anywho, sorry for being longwinded, if anyone has tips or has gone through the process of registering in Georgia, please hit me up!
    thanks!

Attached Files:

2. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Welcome to the board. Lots of Canadian's here; insurance is a bit different up here and per province. Good luck and please share what you learn. Cheers

3. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

thanks Vahn! yes I intend to provide information as I go through the process. so far there's not too much information in regards to import cars in the states, so I figured I'd look for a community or start developing one to help provide info for peeps state side who are interested or just not sure where to start.

4. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

Sorry I haven't been on recently, been busy at work and finished up my classes for last semester, just been trying to find some down time to get back on here.
    I received an email yesterday that the Soarer is set to ship on the 26th this month and arrive June 20th, so really excited to pick it up next month. The downside was I received an email today from the broker I'm working with through Pacific Coast Auto whom stated we received the shipping information really late, as in I had to fill out the Power of Attorney form and send it to them by tomorrow or there would have been some issues with shipping (and fees involved I'm sure). So I'm hoping I filled that out properly (wasn't expecting to fill out a POA till on my death bed lol), and look forward to working with them on getting all the paperwork filed to get the Soarer cleared through customs. I personally am still waiting on the documents necessary to file, and contacted PCA tonight in regards to when I'll receive those, because if I'm late on getting the ISF filled, that fine will be heftier than the entire cost of importing this lol. (that's a lol of pain and grief by the way).

But as long as everything goes smoothly, I should look forward to visiting the DMV early next month and getting it registered. I've discovered it really comes down to finding someone knowledgeable at the DMV to get the ball rolling on registering an import. It will also probably result in multiple visits.... but thank the stars..... I have a fair bit of patience, especially when there's a cookie at the end of the rope that just so happens to be drive-able.

5. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher New Member

Hey Dclevs my SVX came in today, and I just got off the phone with Progressive not even 10 minutes ago, they will provide insurance coverage. Just give them a call, they will ask you the vin, the specific model, and provide you with a "stated value" policy. The stated value being however much you tell them it's worth.

6. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

oh snap, congrats on the SVX making it over! and that's actually really cool they didn't give you much trouble. Did they offer like a collector's policy with limited yearly mileage, or is is actual regular coverage? and did you just provide them with the Japanese vin and they were able to work with it?

7. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher New Member

It's regular insurance coverage and they used the Japanese vin. So I'm covered. Also, ran into issues with the SVX, I went out for its maiden American road trip to the DMV and the transmission died on the way. So I get to spend the summer working overtime to raise the funds for repair.

8. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

Oh damn man, I'm sorry to hear that. will you be able to repair it yourself or are you going to have to take it to a shop? and will you be able to register it or do you have to wait till you get it fixed first?

9. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher New Member

I'm going to have to take it to a shop because I am completely unfamiliar with both AWD and automatic transmissions, I have only ever worked on manuals, plus I dont have a lift or anything that will allow me to safely or comfortably lift the car up high enough to work on it. Also, I have heard that the JDM transmission has a few differences that makes them incompatible with USDM transmissions so I am stuck with either trying to find a JDM transmission, or doing 5 speed manual swap.

Also, I could theoretically still register the vehicle, but it wouldn't make any sense to do so right now, although I could probably try to just apply to get a state title though.