Importing To Atlanta

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by Dclevs, May 16, 2018 at 3:39 PM.

1. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

I recently purchased a 93 Toyota Soarer (1jz-gte) at auction in japan through Pacific Coast Auto, and currently waiting for shipment as well as the documents to be mailed. This would be my first import and so far things have gone relatively smooth. If anyone could provide input on the process from here on getting it through customs (PCA has a broker they are getting me in touch with so that should work alright) and then getting it registered in Georgia. I've found insurance through Best Collectors Insurance which is like a sub branch or sister company of USAA (which is my main provider) and got a nice quote from them, but their policy is for 7500 miles max a year. I intend to use this car fairly often though, I bought this over an st205 because it is possible to use as a smooth daily driver and parts are fairly swappable with sc300's and supra's over here. But is there a way to get regular insurance for this thing? I've contacted everyone from USAA (multiple people) to geico and progressive, and no one has a clue what to do about it. I've searched forums and people generally state it's an easy process to get an insurance provider to do it, but I'm going to need to register the car first I'm guessing.
    anywho, sorry for being longwinded, if anyone has tips or has gone through the process of registering in Georgia, please hit me up!
    thanks!

Attached Files:

2. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Welcome to the board. Lots of Canadian's here; insurance is a bit different up here and per province. Good luck and please share what you learn. Cheers

3. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

thanks Vahn! yes I intend to provide information as I go through the process. so far there's not too much information in regards to import cars in the states, so I figured I'd look for a community or start developing one to help provide info for peeps state side who are interested or just not sure where to start.