Importing Parts

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by JamalS13, Nov 12, 2015.

1. JamalS13

JamalS13 I like cheese

Hey Everyone, so I tried doing some research about this subject, but couldn't find a straight answer. I was curious...

what does it take to import a container full of parts?
    What are the associated costs?
    Is it worth it?
    How is it done?
    Opinions on any other methods?
    Someone who is willing to search for the parts and fill up the container?
    Most cost efficient way to do this?

Hopefully some people can chime in and give there opinions on this. I'm in the dark about this, and would like to further my knowledge

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

I've wondered about this as well. I think @_drew gave this a shot. My feeling is that it's tough to do a full container. It's a lot of stuff.

I'm bringing in a small amount of parts through jcruisers. There's not much money in it, but I'm making more than trying to bring in cars LOL! and it's fun to look for interesting parts :)

3. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

4. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

a container is quite large.. so filling it up with parts.. would take alot of parts.. and well thats a lot of $$$ to spend to fill it.
    Then you have to have all those parts stilling around..

So if you got alot of extra money sitting around, mabe you could make it worth while? but the logistics of loading it would be complicated as well.

5. JamalS13

JamalS13 I like cheese

I was thinking of a 20' container, possibly a car will be brought over. Me and a friend/business partner are doing research to make it worth it, we are planning to bring over used Jdm parts for resell, , wanting to start off smallish, we are not aiming for high profit, manly customer satisfaction, great customer service and very reasonable prices. But i could just be pissing against wind

6. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

I like the idea! Good on you for really diggin into it to see if it is feasible. I think there is money to be made but filling a container might take a while, therefore people will be waiting for parts for quite a while. Unless you plan on getting a inventory going. If you do start taking orders be sure to let us all know, I am sure we all need or want something!

7. _drew

_drew New Member

i brought in 5 different shipments from 2011-2014 ... not FCL (full containers) but by utilizing container sharing LCL (less than container load)

Each shipment would contain 2 or 3 pallets of goods (wheels, parts, etc) and profits were virtually non existent. Shipping this way is expensive (which eats up profit), 2 or 3 pallets is almost equivalent to 50 % of a containers shipping cost (according to my freight forwarder)

You can imagine how many pallets you'd fit in a 20ft'r (space wise). A 20ft'r could potentially be filled with upwards of 100,000$ of goodies!

The logistics of buying from Japan are quite difficult too. Yahoo Auctions require a JPY address and bank account (you'd need someone with these living in Japan) or if you decide to buy from a wrecker/used parts dealer, you are automatically buying the 'left-overs' as your low volume purchasing leaves you behind all the big players in the game. They definitely get 1st pick at the "good stuff"

There is money to be made, but it definitely requires a huge initial investment and lots of leg work. Ideally, buying cars from auction and having them broken apart individually is the way to go, but that requires man power and space (which, from general consensus) is at a minimum in Japan :)

Then, to add insult to injury, try selling the stuff locally!!
    I can't tell you how many times I'd hear "I know you got it from Japan, so it had to have been cheap"
    Sure, you can buy a set of 4 alloys for $60.00, but once you factor in all the fees (shipping in JP, shipping to CAN, customs, brokerage,etc) it really adds up quick.

Try explaining to someone how expensive it is to ship a set of 4 alloys through EMS/DHL/FedEX from JPY to CAN ... mind boggling!!!

Sure, you can ship via ocean freight (un-insurable and un-traceable) for cheap... but its gonna take you 2 months to receive (hopefully)

I give major props to whoever takes on this venture, as its a lot of work, a lot of fun, the potential is there to make some good coin ... but there are many headaches involved too.