BC Icbc insurance

Discussion in 'Regional' started by Mcsea91, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Mcsea91

Mcsea91 New Member

hey guys so finall getting ready to insure my Celsior in march. I got a quote for 1mil and 3 mil liability and dam does it seem expensive

3m = 3516 a year
    1m = 3199 a year

Im 28 married and been driving over 10 years. No accidents or claims. They rated me as crs level -5(-25)

Does the quote seem right. Seems higher than my wife's 2013 juke compared to 2000 Celsior. I've only been down in bc for a year Alberta has different format.

Let me know..

2. tegu

tegu New Member

Yeah that is way too much.
    Go to another person, or try to bring your history from Alberta.

It may that you didn't quote it as pleasure use? Or you can do liability with ICBC and do the rest with someone else.

Also it does matter where in BC (Rates depend on Postal Code)

Even on $100k+ Cars I get quoted about $1200 for full coverage. (1 mil / and $500 ded on Col/Comp)

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

As tegu said, you'll need to bring in your driving history from AB to get a proper discount. With 10 years experience and no accidents or claims you should be able to get the maximum 43% discount. Even with discount those prices seem high. Are you getting both comprehensive and collision? I noticed my Aristo seemed to be quite a bit more expensive last year when I insured it. It's been about $1100 per year for me since I've owned it and this year it was close to $1400. And that's with 1 million coverage and comprehensive and no collision.

Also as tegu mentioned the area you live in can have an impact on your insurance as well. I'm in the Lower Mainland, but the year I lived in Nanaimo my insurance was almost $400 cheaper for the year.

What, really? That doesn't seem right. Why would I pay the same for insurance on a crappy old Corolla as a car worth over $100k?

4. Mcsea91

Mcsea91 New Member

When I moved over from Calgary last year I gave them about 4 papers worth of all the insurance companies I had been with. I live in Surrey and it's daily driver but my work is about 5 to 8 km from my house.

Yea I'll have to look into it unless they are quoting my wife since she only has 5 years.

What do you guys usually get 1mil 2 mil or 3 mil?

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

I only do 1 million. I think ICBC recommends 3 million. You could always purchase any insurance above basic through an alternate provider. You are only required to purchase basic insurance through ICBC. However, in the event you have to deal with insurance you'd now have to deal with two insurance companies rather than one.

6. Mcsea91

Mcsea91 New Member

So I went over my paper work I I have to correct a few things. I've had my license for ten years but only been insured since 2012. I will go somewhere else also to get another quote. thanks everyone for the heads up and all the info.

7. trev

trev New Member

There's not that many tricks to ICBC ... you pretty much go with the recommended because anything less only saves you a few dollars in insurance.
    About the only thing I do is going with $500 deductibles. It's a decent savings ... they'll try to tell you that the glass replacement is such a better deal with the lower deductible ... but the amount you save in a year practically covers the difference ................... so unless you replace your windshield every year, go with $500.