BC ICBC Fail at the moment

Discussion in 'Regional' started by Dah_Hunter, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Just to let people know.

ICBC is in the middle of a roll out of the new Software that will replace the aging DOS style system they have been using for decades.

As you can imagine this is not a quick thing.. we were trying to register a fresh import yesterday and well the new system has issues with it.. New issues with new registrations.

They finally after 2 days just unlocked the old system for registration.
    When will the new system work.. Who knows.

This is just a warning for anyone in BC that might want to register a car.. Expect issues (At the moment)

2. Dah_Hunter

So ICBC new system still is kinda a mess.. but some good news.. the Manual TOP's that we used go get are now Digital.. ANd the cost is down for the basic.. Its only $14 for Basic day permit on a Unregistered car in the new system.. Yay $5 savings..

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

I've heard a few radio advertisements now about this as well. Basically saying its new, so they will be slow and could have problems renewing your insurance, so make sure you come in at least a few days before your policy expires....Go ICBC!

4. trev

trev New Member

Are they able to register cars now?

5. Dah_Hunter

Its working.. there are just some new issues now.. 6 cars i know of in the last month have been registered with minor headaches.. Friday a couple more will be getting registered.

6. Prostrho

Prostrho New Member

I went to my usual go to place for JDM car registration to get a temp permit to pick up my new car from port at Superstore at No3 rd in Richmond. No issues with temp permit.

However, The autoplan agent gave me a heads up and told me they havent been able to register any JDM with Short VIN since new system came online fully.

Any tips for i can give the agent to get it registered? She said she would give it a try once i get my car inspected on friday.

7. Dah_Hunter

I don't got any tips I know it's possible to register with the short vin. Even on the new system. My agent doesn't let the idiots at head office push him around. If he is talking to someone that is being stupid he will end the conversation and call back and talk to someone else. Till he gets to someone that can actually do the job.

8. trev

trev New Member

Great, I have a short VIN to register tomorrow.

So what did they do in those cases with minor headaches?

9. trev

trev New Member

.... fastest TOP I've ever got. The computer spits them out instead of the jiffy marker. Took 3 minutes and they entered my short VIN and no problems.

They said registering might not be so easy, but they have not done an unregistered car yet.

10. Dah_Hunter

Ya TOP are faster and cheaper now.

11. trev

trev New Member

They tried to charge me $29, I told them I didn't want the coverage and it put it down to $22?? ... but I'll take it for now. *fingers crossed* on the short VIN for tomorrow

12. trev

trev New Member

Update ... time-consuming but went smoothly, short VIN and all. Just had to wait for the override for about 30 mins.

13. JFT

JFT New Member

Hey Trev, would you mind sharing where you ended up going? Thanks!
    I was set on going to #3 Road but now I'm not so sure with this last update, thanks to Dah_Hunter for letting us know.

14. Prostrho

Prostrho New Member

I just registered mine today too.

1 caveat. ICBC told me i cant sell my vehicle for approx 2 months until my Short VIN gets manually entered into their system. Right now my registration paper work show my VIN as 000000ARxxxxx.

If someone bought my car now, apparently if they tried to register it, it wont show up in the normal system thus new owner cannot register the car.

At a later date, icbc will send me revised registration paperwork with proper VIN displayed. Until then, i cant sell my vehicle.

Btw my TOP only cost me $14. Tell agent the licence fee is waived for TOP used only for inspection purposes.

15. Dah_Hunter

The short VIN isnt the issue with the new System Its a minor thing. the issue that we were having was because the car was the first of its kind in BC. so the was no Rate class for it.. anyways its been fine.

@Prostrho the way you agent did it while not incorrect was the (Lazy way) since they just gave you a temp VIN, they didn't have to do that..(That's a way that Un-educated Agents have been using for years now)

When you get the paperwork from ICBC with the New VIN you will have bring the car to an agent again, and they will have to Sight the VIN again. But whatever you got plates and insurance so who cares.. :)

Ya TOP's are cheaper now. $14 the one good thing about the new system.

@JFT The location @trev uses is in Kamloops soo prolly wont help you.

The location i go to is in Langley
    Godoys Insurance my buddy Kyle does it, i have been following him around to different ICBC locations for years because its much easier that way.

16. Prostrho

Prostrho New Member

Hi Dah hunter, for the cars you registered recently under the new system, does your paper work already display the proper JDM short VIN? I called ICBC seperately and they said under the new system the only way it can be registered for now is with the temp 000000ARxxxxx VIN.

Last time under the old system an agent did it the "lazy way", they mailed me registration with proper JDM vin about a month later, but I never had to go back to the autoplan agent for them to sight VIN again.

17. Dah_Hunter

Talk to 5 different people at icbc and they all say something different. Lol.

Ya my short vins were good right away.

@trev registered recently.

I will be doing 2 more cars on Tuesday. As well

I haven't gotten a temp vin in a lot time so sounds like they don't need you to come back. Which is nice. The last time I did one like that was like 6 years ago and when the short vin was added I had to go back for the agent to sight it for confirmation.

18. RyanV

RyanV Member

Under the old system the only times I got a temp VIN was when I registered on a Saturday when registration wasn't open. As above the proper paper work was mailed out about a month later, but I didn't have to go back for additional VIN sighting.

19. JFT

JFT New Member

Nice info guys. This forum is awesome!
    Thanks Dah_hunter, Kamloops is a bit of a drive for sure! I think I'll go see your guy Kyle in Langley, what's half an hour drive to save a headache; it's worth it. I'll call before to make sure is working the day I will go.
    Cheers

20. trev

trev New Member

I don't have my paperwork here, I'll have to double-check. From what I recall the only two oddities on it were special VIC code (even though the car is in the system I didn't bother to press it because I don't really care) and they left RHD at No (even though it was mentioned multiple times, computer glitch?)

I'm certain the VIN was correct on the paperwork though and it was short. It really didn't feel much different than the last time I registered a car, it was just a long wait for the person on the phone to "OK" the car.

I usually tell the agent to call VEHICLE REGISTRATION instead but this time I just bit my tongue and let it play out.

I swear half the problem is getting an agent that panics because they don't know what they are doing and they just start blurting out random nonsense in an attempt to escape the situation because they don't want to deal with something outside their comfort zone.

The person I got this time had never done one, but was relaxed and interested in learning something new. She just went through the steps. It took about 75 minutes.

In the future it might be wise to feel the agent out (VERBALLY) first and see what they say. If they seem clueless or overly dramatic, make an excuse to run out (ooops, I forgot some paperwork) and head to another place.