I imported a container to Winnipeg!

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by robbieg, Oct 26, 2014.

1. robbieg

robbieg Does this and that from time to time

Self-aggrandizing a bit in just dropping a link to ma blog. Check it out. The unloading part was the most interesting: http://www.righthanddrive.ca/blog/2014/10/container-shipping-to-winnipeg-part-5/

It was a pretty crazy process... but I don't know of any other individual (non-business) that's imported a container inland. So, it seemed like a really good idea.

http://www.righthanddrive.ca/blog/2014/09/container-shipping-to-winnipeg-part-1/
    http://www.righthanddrive.ca/blog/2014/10/container-shipping-to-winnipeg-part-2/
    http://www.righthanddrive.ca/blog/2014/10/container-shipping-to-winnipeg-part-3/
    http://www.righthanddrive.ca/blog/2014/10/container-shipping-to-winnipeg-part-4/
    http://www.righthanddrive.ca/blog/2014/10/container-shipping-to-winnipeg-part-5/

There's one more scheduled to go up next week (I wrote them all at once, and schedule them so my blog doesn't look dormant) - basically discussing the stuff I'm saying here, with more gratuitous images.

Would I do it again? Probably. I have a busy life now (read: offspring) and can't afford the 3 day 'fetch a car from the coast' trip. I don't like the idea of using Livingston, and haven't heard great reviews.

Was it awesome? yes.

Should you do it? Probably not. It was a lot of work, but you can do it off-hours. I had to hold a lot of hands, and middleman a lot of conversations. Not for the faint of heart.

Attached Files:

IMPUL and IanB like this.
  2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

What.. awesome.. very nice to see.. so you went in on the container with a couple people then?

3. robbieg

Yeah. 2 other guys. They each got 2 vehicles each. Ironically, they guy importing the least did the legwork!
    Contents:
    2x legacy gt-bs
    1x b4 rsk
    2x daihatsu hijets

4. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

That is awesome. I'm always amazed how they can fit the cars in there.

5. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

That is really cool to see, thanks for sharing. Pulling it out with the long pronged forklift looks sketchy, but they obviously know what they are doing and had it under control. Good for you for taking the path less traveled, its great to know that this is even an option.

6. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Very cool!! the 99 Legacies are sure proving to be popular, for good reason too!

7. Wolfd89

Wolfd89 Last in, first out

that looks awesome. thanks for sharing!

8. RyanV

RyanV Member

LOL! I was going to say, was it just a container full of Legacy's, but I guess it almost was!

Congrats on getting the container there. I think some people/businesses used to get them sent to AB as well until there were some issues with soil inspections or something back around 2008.

*PS - Robbie, update your Pajero thread....want more pics :D

9. robbieg

Man! I'd have to wash it first!

10. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

Hey I've driven 2 of those legacy's! Sounds like it was annoying to do, but would be easier the next time around.

edit: I drove the white wagon GT-B, and the RSK

11. Braden

Braden New Member

Pretty awesome to read through the process like that. Sweet idea that's usually better in theory than practice when it comes to guys backing out and what not.

IMPUL likes this.
  12. shok

shok SpaceMan

Great post! Thanks for taking the time!

13. robbieg

@Braden: Yeah, no doubt. All the shipping and stuff was paid by me, then we split the bill afterwards. It's pretty daunting shelling out thousands of dollars of your own money, and being worried about having to collect.
    The guys who went in with me are both stand-up guys. So, I wasn't too worried. Definitely can't go in with a dirtbag. Though... I guess you could hold his car hostage...

IMPUL likes this.
  14. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Its a lot of money for all those cars and the container and shipping, lots of money!! did it end up being cheaper then RoRo for the cars including the "free" ones that were filling the container?

15. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

ya a break down of the costs with a comparison would be interesting for sure..

16. robbieg

Depends how much your time is worth. I can't afford to take a day off work plus not be at home over an entire weekend. That plus I can't take the risk of not being at work on Monday because the car I bought sight unseen didn't want to drive 2000kms.
    It was certainly cheaper than 5x$600 Livingston freight to Winnipeg. I suspect the further inland you go, the further down the price per car would go.

17. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Just read through all of your blog posts....awesome! It's amazing how they package everything up and ship it like that! Noticed you said "freebie" Hijet...what was that about? They gave you guys a kei truck???

18. robbieg

Hah. No, just that wasn't suspended or anything crazy. Freebie as in the logistics of getting it out were trivial :)

19. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

OOOHHHH, yeah, that makes sense, LOL! Haha, sorry.....late night....guess my brain wasn't working! ;)

20. stuff

stuff Jordon

super interested in this as I've been thinking of ordering a sea can of miatas.... how did they do the soil exam? super interested in a outline of your costs. Im trying to work with beforward.jp at the moment.