Honda S2000

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Braden, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Braden

Braden New Member

Question.. Are these legal next year? I see some 99 production dates, anyone know what the first month was?

2. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I saw a bunch of March dates.

3. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

What an awesome car. The prices are coming down a lot too. They are still quite a bit more than the DC2s but they are a really hot car and I expect them to be popular in the Canadian market.

4. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I think the are pretty cool..

however i cant really fit, in them so i dont see myself buying one..

:(

5. CP9A

CP9A New Member

Aren't there not many differences between the JDM and USDM s2000s?

6. Braden

Braden New Member

Clear front corners, some jdm's got the awesome in dash nav unit.. Other than that i don't think so.

7. CP9A

CP9A New Member

Sounds like it's not really worth that trouble to import one over then...or is there a big price difference to justify this?

8. Braden

Braden New Member

All you can really find locally are 130k+ examples of ap1's for ~14/15.. so yes, money to be saved on importing from what I have seen.

9. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

Cost and low kms are the reason why you would import one. Also, many Honda fans like the image of a car that came from the Japanese market.

I think that you can get into one for about 75% the cost of a local one after everything is said and done.

10. william

william William

This ^^ but the big factor is that you just can't find the quality locally than what's available in Japan. I can see them being popular in the near future.

11. CP9A

CP9A New Member

Hmm that`s quite interesting to know, thanks for the answers

12. PurgedTT

PurgedTT New Member

Braden, care to give your review of your s2000 experience?

Looking for a NA sports car with my tax return.

I really enjoyed my Toyota Altezza, but looks like it's going to be a honda either a Type R (integra or civic) or s2000.

Integra over CTR but i kinda like the little hatch job, loud as b series engine screaming to 8000 rpm on some backroads up north island.

S2000 more diserable being AP1 / 9000 rev limit, RWD and six speed (or are they only 5spd?)

Just for summer duty so even a soft top s2000 would be fine as the acura mdx see's daily driving duties.

13. trev

trev New Member

Good ones go for too much money in Japan ... hard to consider one. Like Type R Civics and NSXs, I'd buy one but just one of the few cars where it doesn't make sense.

14. trev

trev New Member

Someone will surely yell "blasphemy", but my experience with the S2000 was, it's OK. Unless you are driving it at the 9/10s near redline all day long or on a track, seat of the pants feel as daily driver is just like a Miata. It doesn't have a lot of power in the lower RPM ranges, and driving around town in traffic made me think I was in a Miata.

Unless you really really want to pay the premium for an S2000, an NB Miata provides just as much fun for half the cost. It doesn't provide the "driving nirvana" many people will suggest, but most cars fail to live up to their hype.

15. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Nothing weird about it, really. Both are light revvy low volume droptops with a double wishbone suspension on all corners, similar weight distribution, and nearly identical seating position. The S2000 is a much stiffer chassis, but you wouldn't feel it until you start throwing the car around. Honda's steering gear is also vastly superior to older Miatas', but again - unless you're making a deliberate comparison, you won't readily know it.

The difference between the two becomes very apparent when you try to drive both to the limit.

16. Braden

Braden New Member

I love it. If you can swing the price over a ITR or ctr I'd definitely do it. I'd never buy a fwd as a 'fun car', just me though. Out of all the cars I have tried thus far it's the most pleasurable and fun, it's so tight. Definitely not the fastest, but the engine response makes the evo feel like I replaced its engine oil with molasses. Find one and take it for a drive, do a wot 1-3 pull, take some high speed corners, go from there. Oh yeah, and the gearbox is a total treat.