Home Reno's Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dah_Hunter, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

So the Flooring on the upper level of my house was getting in pretty bad condition.. So i decided to do something about it..

3 days
    400+ Square Feet of Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) Flooring, and lots of Sweat.

So onto the Pics:

Before Pics:
    Entrance way
    (As you can see the front door was rubbing on the old Vinyl. *Yuck*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoe/Coat Closet:
    [​IMG]

Transition from the entrance way into the hallway:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Transition from the Hallway to side Room:
    [​IMG]

Hallway:
    [​IMG]

Transition into living room:
    [​IMG]

Transition into Kitchen:
    [​IMG]

View down hallway to front door:
    [​IMG]

View of Central area, kitchen on right.
    [​IMG]

Tools
    [​IMG]

Old baseboard removed before the flooring gets installed:
    [​IMG]

So the Kitchen and the Entrance way are different levels.. and well thats stupid.. i wanted it all to be the same level so some plywood was used to create a sub floor that would raise the lowered area's to match the rest:
    [​IMG]

Entrance way Subfloor Completed:
    *Note the Door has to be removed and the bottem shaved so it would open and close without rubbing*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kitchen is now raised, new Subfloor installed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the Fun part.. installing the flooring..
    ($1200 of flooring later)
    [​IMG]

First strip done:
    [​IMG]

Second:
    [​IMG]

Etc
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking sharp:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edges in the kithen sucked..
    [​IMG]

All Done:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dah_Hunter

Next Project that i did just before the flooring:
    Popcorn Ceiling repair.

THis is the before Pic:
    [​IMG]

So you scrape off all the loose popcorn.
    [​IMG]

Pin up a splatter guard around the area:
    [​IMG]

and spray with Popcorn ceiling in a can
    It made a huge mess i was covered..
    THis is about half way through:
    [​IMG]

End result didnt look perfect.. but better then before..
    Spray can popcorn is like $20 a can.. so use carefully.

3. Wolfd89

Wolfd89 Last in, first out

great looking floors B. gotta love that vinyl tile

4. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Awesome work on the floor. What a difference that makes.

5. Dah_Hunter

Thanks.. it totaly makes the house look and feel new and fresh.. Super happy with how it turned out.

6. william

william William

Flooring makes a huge difference. Looks good Ben. When I built my house in 2004, I quickly framed the basement and did drywall / paint. Since then just never got around to doing anything. Next week I'm doing the flooring and t-bar ceiling. I'll post up some pics to show my work.... Not great with flooring, but I'm hoping it will look good....

7. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Nice job man! what a difference on the flooring!

8. Dah_Hunter

Thanks guys..

Next project im working on is my gutters getting clogged.. stupid pine tree's. leaf guards are use-less in this area..

9. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

Well, it's about damn time. My basement flooded last year. Really sucked. We had a heavy rainfall, and in our area, the sanitary lines and street drainage are tied in together. Many people in my area got water back up out of our drains in the basement. Mine was about 4" of street drainage and sewage. YECH. Cleaned it up, used 5 bottles of bleach, and then had a resto company come in and box up our belongings, take them away, and gut the bottom 2 feet of basement. We lost some bookshelfs, couches, bed etc, and two PSB Image tower speakers (sniff). Other than that, it's mostly all good. I had to jackhammer a good portion of my laundry room to install two backflow valves.

I've tried to ignore it for too long. My work kept sending me out of town, and then when I'd get back, there were other things that needed attention (like my wife and kids!). I have really struggled to get around to working on this, but it NEEDS to be done.

Well, I took a week off work, before I go back to school for two months, and had my nephews up for the week to help. We got drywalled and organized, all our boxes came back from the restoration company just a little while ago, but the basement is (was) a mess.

My wife and I had our room in the Basement, so that changed quickly. I had been sleeping in our upstairs living room for quite a while and my wife was sharing my 6 year old's queen, and we've done some changes upstairs to remedy that. The kids now share a room with two loft beds, and we have what was our daughter's room for the time being. I think it's working quite well, and so the room in the basement that was our room will become an office for my wife. Our old shared office will now house a bowflex, and my computer with a small desk. I am planning to stack the laundry, so to give more room for storage, and I've decided also to change the layout of the TV room, to allow more room for play, and to make my 42" TV look big again (haha). Sitting too far away.

Kids are up now, so I'll have to update the pics later, but here's a teaser of the nightmare I've been living with. Correction, soul-crushing nightmare, haha!

Laundry with 2' drywall missing at bottom, as well as the box for the backflow valves, and new concrete.
    I will need to do a skimcoat so that the floor will be smooth, as well as the drain to drain properly again - when the plumber put the drain back, he moved it, and now we have water that collects. geepers.
    [​IMG]
    Fun room. You can't see the missing drywall, but you can see the mess of stuff we have. We're like damn hoarders. :(

[​IMG]
    Another view of the fun room.
    [​IMG]
    Little office, with my work tools hastily thrown in there.
    [​IMG]

10. RyanV

RyanV Member

Maybe not a home reno exactly, but a project that has chewed up a lot of my time is working on the fence in our yard. I didn't get a good before and after photo, but the existing stain was in terrible shape. I had one panel left, so I took this pic for comparison, but the existing stain on this one is in much better shape than the others were before they were stripped:

[​IMG]

Panel on the left is the old stain. Right side is prepped by pressure washing, then scraping, then sanding to smooth it out a bit. Scraping and sanding was actually a lot faster than the pressure washing. I think I was about 16 hours of pressure washing. I'm sure my neighbours loved it!

Here's the back yard (which needs work..regrade, replant etc.) with the back panels all prepped and the far panels have the first coat of stain done.
    [​IMG]

Close up of a prepped panel on the left and one coat of stain on the right:

[​IMG]

I wanted the stain to be a bit darker, but oh well.

Presently the first coat of stain is done except on the back ally side which is still a fair amount of work. Second coat will be done afterwards except on the top section. It's too tedious and not worth the effort of a second coat.

We've also done quite a bit of work on the front yard. I'll see if I can dig up old before photos and take an after photo.

11. RyanV

RyanV Member

12. Dah_Hunter

Looks good i need to upgrade the lighting in my shop but have yet to decide how i want to do it.

13. RyanV

RyanV Member

The way I've done these wouldn't really be the way I'd "want" to do it, but for the price, ease of install and much better work environment, it's good for now :)

14. Dah_Hunter

Cant complain about being able to see. ;)