Form 1 required to get ICBC Day permit?

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by Prostrho, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Prostrho

Prostrho New Member

Hit a hiccup yesterday when trying to get my day permit (temporary operating permit) to move pick up my vehicle from Port to inspection facility.

I had following with me:

1. Invoice
    2. Bill of Lading
    3. Export Cert, and Translated Export Cert.

1st ICBC Autoplan wanted a Form 1 before he would issue me a manual (hand written) Temporary operating permit. This ICBC Autoplan is knowledgeable about JDM imports as I registered my 1st JDM with them.

2nd ICBC Autoplan told me to come back the next day since it's already 8pm, and they had to do a manual phone in "IPRE" check prior to issuing a manual temporary operating permit. That needs to be done during business hours. He mentioned nothing about Form 1.

3rd ICBC Auto plan issued me a permit without any of the above requirements.

Usually this isn't a problem, but I had to rush to pick up my vehicle from port today because I can't take time off work next week. The vehicle was just released for pick up on Wednesday, so I still haven't received my Form 1 that has been couriered from my Broker.

I think it is safe to say that its best to have all the paper work ready including Form 1 for getting a Day permit.

Anyone can share their experience?

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

There is nowhere that says the form 1 is required however. Since it's a required document for registration. Most icbc brokers will require it. And if they call icbc then they will for sure want it. For next time request that your customs broker emails you a digital copy as soon as he gets it.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

I've had similar situations where sometimes they want Form 1 and sometimes they just go off the translated export certificate. However, i've always had all my paperwork, so it hasn't been an issue. It's also been a while since I've had to get a temp permit, but I think they started to take photo copies of all my documents even when I got the temp permit. New ICBC requirements I guess?

My question to this would be, why does ICBC require all this? If we are importing from Japan it needs to go through the same inspection that would be required if you were bringing in a car from AB, so why do they want Form 1? If you were importing from AB wouldn't you just have a bill of sale and maybe a copy of the old registration from AB? I haven't imported a car across provinces, so I don't know what you get for paperwork.

4. Dah_Hunter

There is no new requirements,. nothing has changed, I just went yesterday to register a car i have had sitting around to make sure everything was business as usual.. It was.

Bottom line, Auto plan Brokers that know what the are doing will ask for the Form 1 because they know ICBC will want it eventually and they know you will have it. (Since they are aware)
    other auto plans that dont know, will have different idea's of what they want. or dont want.

If they have to call the office then i always recommend staying away.. the People at the ICBC head office often are worse. and want more info on more stuff.. and tell you things that aren't true, like It needs a full length VIN, or so many things.

5. Prostrho

Prostrho New Member

Finally got my car registered.

Again, as Dah Hunter says, if the ICBC autoplan broker needs to call ICBC to verify if the forms are acceptable, you can grab your paper work and leave to go to another store.

Due to close proximity to work, I went to Park Insurance on Kingways close to Griffith. They said they had dealt with JDM vehicles before when I called, and they seem familiar with the process. Went there at lunch today to hopefully get the registration done quickly over my lunch break.

Unfortunately they had to call ICBC to verify if my paperwork was acceptable.
    They questioned about my Customs coding form B3-3 from my import broker, and it should be a different type of form. They then had to fax over everything and call ICBC to determine if my paperwork was ok. That's when they told me that ICBC wanted a Certified Translated export certificate. At this point I said thank you, grabbed my paperwork and went to another insurance agency.

I decided to take a long lunch and went to my usual Autoplan on No3 Rd in Richmond at the Superstore where I have registered another JDM before.

Went there and was out of there within 30min with car registered and plated.

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

I had this exact issue when I was trying to register my E50. Given my work/living situation at the time I had to get the certified translation done because every place I went to had to call ICBC and that's what ICBC told them had to be done. I told them I didn't have to do it other times but every time the person at ICBC said it was a new requirement (sometime in 2014 I think). So much easier when you go to a place that has done lots of registrations and go on a weekday.

7. Dah_Hunter

Add a post to this thread to help people out with the location.

It saves people alot of time.

Glad everything worked out.