Export Certificate Translation - Official Translation Required?

Discussion in 'Maritimes' started by Derek, May 1, 2014.

1. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

A customer from Nova Scotia says that they are starting to require Export Certificates (registration certificate) to be either notarized or officially translated. This is the first I have heard of it from any province other than Quebec. I regularly send vehicles to pretty much all the provinces but not many go to East Canada compared to the rest.

I hear this from time to time in other provinces but it is usually just the one person at the DMV or registration office who does not know what they are talking about. When the customer goes somewhere else, there is no problem.

Just in case, does anyone have a recommendation for a registered translator in Canada?
    How much do they charge?

2. thought

thought New Member

3. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Good thing Alberta's registries doesn't require export certificate at all, only Vancouver custom needs it.

4. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

If it's anything like Ontario, then they might require it be done by a provincially-certified translator. Here they specifically ask for an ATIO certified translation. It cost me $70 plus tax four years ago.

5. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

This will be the third time writing this reply (clicked the wrong button once, second time the board got updated and my post vanished).

Derek,
    I've already talked to your customer about the solution to this problem. I'm the one having trouble at the DMV with translations...well, not any more...problem solved.

I went into the DMV 1 week ago to register the car, fresh from the docks. I waited over an hour in the cue, then ended up with a rookie behind the counter. She had no idea what to do with a JDM car and registering it in Nova Scotia. She immediately went to her superviser...who was also new to registering Japanese cars. I came prepared and brought every piece of paperwork I needed (so I thought): Original export certificate, Export cert. translation from the exporter, stamped customs papers, bill of sale and insurance papers. These are the same papers that I used to register my WRX 3 years ago...and I'm sure every other import into N.S. has had the same papers.
    They had several issues with the paperwork and after another half hour of standing at the desk, they sent me packing to go get the additional information that they required. I tried to explain that the papers I provided were enough for registration, but they weren't having any of that.
    On their list of things that weren't to their liking was the translation of the auction sheet. They said they wanted to see the "credentials" of the translator... Since they couldn't read Japanese, they figured that that anyone could make something up for a translation and people would except it. Again, this was not needed for my last car, nor anyone that I've talked to that has registered a Japanese car in N.S.
    After a few days of stressing that my car wasn't going to get registered...and after days of trying to round up all of the DMV's special requests, I finally just went to another branch of the DMV which was on my way home from work. I waited in the cue for less than 5 minutes and ended up with a lady who was very experienced at the JDM registration process. She looked over my papers, filled out a few forms and 10 minutes later I was walking out the door with papers and a plate (and a huge smile). 15 minutes total visit! Unreal!

So long story short: if you have trouble with the DMV in Halifax, go to a different branch.

6. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

BC requires the Original and translation. and it does boil down to the idiots behind the counter.

If you have Noobs, they normally make it super hard.. in which case as you said just walk away and go to another place. Since you can register at any ICBC location in BC, you just have to go a couple blocks before you find a new place.

glad it worked out for you.

7. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

Yeah exactly. I went to Dartmouth first fit my chaser then they had no clue so went to Halifax and was registered in no time.

Like Colin mentioned, just go to a different branch if you have issues. Don't waste your time with them. HRM has three DMV locations or so.

8. AgentJ17

AgentJ17 I'm an adult... man!

This happened to me. Solution? Went to a different insurance office.

9. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Well, I'm in Bridgewater - there are a few keis and JDMs here, but knowing the Bridgewater DMV, I'm imagining I'll have the same issues you guys had with non-caring or inexperienced staff. Maybe it would be better when I eventually get my JDM to just stop in to the Hfx branch on my way home from the docks!

10. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

FYI I went to the Dartmouth DMV and while the clerk didn't know (they had issue with ownership transfer) the manager did so I was able to get what I needed.
    Def seems to be the case to just go to another office if you are having issues.

If you are continually hitting a roadblock, I would suggest you contact Agency Imports as I think they're doing the registry work a lot and would be able to help.

11. dagleykd

On a semi-related note - has anybody dealt with Agency Imports directly before? I've thought about getting them to help with my import when the time comes, but somebody had given me the feeling I'd get a better deal if I dealt with an exporter like Brave directly...?

12. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

I have dealt with them for maintenance and service and have found them to be reasonable for price/service, and quite helpful with advice, etc.
    You will get a better deal if you deal with an exporter directly in that Agency charges a fee for their services, like any importer. I guess it depends on how much work you want or don't want to do yourself. It isn't very hard but it can be time confusing.
    I think I ball parked their fees when they first started advertising their services compared to doing it yourself and thought their fees were reasonable, IMO.

13. dagleykd

I was contemplating how to get my JDM imported when I eventually get one...was just thinking to myself whether I should get Brave of PacificCoast to find one for me and ship it here, or to get Agency to do the work. I'd prob go with Brave or PCA for finding it and get service at Agency, depending what I imported.

I'm glad the translation issue isn't official here though (at least not yet...)...one more stupid hoop to jump through if so 9_9

14. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

15. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

The translated certificate has never been a problem for me. I have never had one translated by anyone other then derek. But yea its frustrating to have to come back over and over because if this type Of stuff. As dah hunter the person sitting at the desk is your biggest hurdle, provided you have all the right stuff. My last mto visit the new employee admitted right in front of me that she had no training or experience with this type of process. And the manager had to call the hot line. .... When they do that... You might as well leave cause its probably not happeneing ... Unless you hear them say, "yes, yes, uh-huh, okay, so everything appears to be in order" . As soon as they start to scrutinize the documents and shuffle them around abunch, its not happening, prepare to be told you need something else ...

16. bobcourtney

bobcourtney New Member

FYI,

In a pinch, Jevic Japan will turn around an official translation if needed for JPY 5000 (around $53 CAD) :

For Translation of Export Certificate:

We charge JPY5,000 per vehicle.

It will take 2-3 working days to provide translated data after we receive Export Certificate copy.

They can be contacted at www.jevic.com.

17. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

As of yesterday (April 21/15)...an ''official'' translation (as in stamped by a lawyer or translating service) is not required in Nova Scotia. A simple translation that you would normally get from a dealer/exporter/importer is adequate.

18. robbieg

robbieg Does this and that from time to time

For the record, the export certificate is needed in Manitoba too, but not stamped or anything.
    The last time I registered a new import with the sheet, they mentioned having an official translation, but nothing came of it.

19. JapaneseTranslator

JapaneseTranslator English and Japanese Translator

Hey everyone,
    My wife and I started a Japanese translation company in April 2016 and we've translated about a dozen export certificates since then. If you need one translated, we're here to help. We're usually able to deliver export certificate translations in about 24 hours or less. We're a registered translation company (registered in Ireland- Company Number 581127, Irish Translators and Interpreters Association Membership Number 1399) and will provide you with a certified translation accompanied by an Affidavit of Accurate Translation, as Irish law requires of translators providing certified translations. We can mail you a hard-copy of the translation too if you like.
    Kind regards,
    Tom and Mitsuko.
    www.JapanologyKerryConsulting.com