EP91 Glanza V

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by skylinetimes, Dec 19, 2014.

1. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

Ya those 4th gen starlets are pretty aggressive looking!

I had been searching for anything between 05-07 when it came to the STI. The biggest decision maker on this one was no accidents and no rebuilt like most are these days....plus it's been a Canadian car not an import from the states.

The mods I have I put on so far are a perrin inlet, and K&N typhoon intake...next up is full 3 inch downpipe no cat, and 3 inch straight pipe. Then I'll likely slap a COBB accessport for a quick tune.

I owned a 2009 WRX STI years ago brand new, it has nothing on these raw generations. My 09 brand new didn't handle half as good as this 05 does with 10 years on its life now. The power and overall feel in my 05 I would take any day over the 09. Subaru was building something mean for the streets between 04-07 models...The new STI isn't very mean, it's comfortable, but lacks all the edge it should have.

dagleykd likes this.
  2. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Yup...that's exactly what I mean! Shame, really!

As for the 4th gen Starlet Glanza, they are quite aggressive looking - part of it, I think, comes from the fact that that generation was quite a bit more boxy compared to the more "rounded-edge" generation you've got. The gen. 5s like yours do look pretty mean in Glanza form though, especially with some tasteful mods! :D

3. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

Ok so the majority of the aftermarket for the glanza and starlet is in the UK, which means shipping and the conversion from our dollar is very pathetic.

So some things I have to order for the car from the UK...and some things I thought I could just make!

Today I did just that, I got rid of the stupid stock intake (disaster of a system) and I went ahead and made my own cold air intake :)

Using spare intake parts from other cars, blue silicone hose from a blitz FMIC, gear clamps, PVC 90 degree elbow, and a knock off K&N cone filter...plus one zip tie for safety ;)

Cold Air Intake routed down beside the battery against the fan shroud, stock intake is where that back abyss is.

[​IMG]

Tight fit, but doesn't rub on anything, sits nice against the fan shroud and doesn't get in the way of the fan blades for the radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One zip tie to keep it from rattling, but its so snug between everything that it really doesn't move. Bunch of gear clamps need some trimming of their excess.

[​IMG]

Just pokes out underneath, I will put the underbody liner back on once I finish the exhaust...if it needs some adjusting it should be easy.

[​IMG]

Thats about it! It sounds awesome now.

grayhamwiebe, RyanV and Greg like this.
  4. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

awesome man.. thats what i like to see..

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

Rather than shipping stuff from the UK you can also get Jcruisers in Armstrong to buy stuff from Japan for you. Maybe it won't be cheaper, but I'd think it would be.

Nice work on the intake :)

6. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

Well oddly I ran across a guy who is selling stuff in Alberta off his old starlet....hes got a lot of great stuff so I'm kinda sourcing some things through him right now :)

I just need brakes and coilovers and the car will be ready for the road.

Have a Decat downpipe for the stock turbo on the way, then I can build the straight pipe.

7. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

I annoyed the sales people at ID Works in the UK for a couple weeks now.... and I have finally ordered stuff, I bet they are relieved :p

But to be honest they have been pretty helpful swinging me a discount on the shipping and parts, still paying too much because its so far away and our dollar is POO....but the stuff is heavy and I need it.

Brake kit all around:

• ID-Workz performance front brake discs (drilled+grooved)
    • HEL braided brake lines
    • ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid
    • EBC Yellow Stuff Front Pads
    • ID-Workz performance rear brake discs (drilled+grooved)
    • HEL braided brake lines
    • ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid
    • EBC Ultimax Rear Pads

Suspension:

- BC Racing BR Coilovers (30 way adjustable dampening)

Thats it for the moment :)

8. dagleykd

Sounds like it is going to be quite the ride by the time you are done with it :p

9. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

Well I don't think it will be too wild, I'm really trying to keep costs low but everyone knows how that goes haha

I could of replaced everything with standard brake parts etc but I never replace oem stuff, I always upgrade so it always cost a bit more as well.

As for suspension I had my eye on some low mileage struts and shocks with lowering springs, but that won't help me if I want to go lower and adjust things ;)

10. dagleykd

Haha, I just meant it should be a pretty fun autocross / track day car once all the mods are complete! :)

11. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

this is true!

12. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

13. dagleykd

Very nice! Has an awesome sound to it! :D Keep us updated! :p

14. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

15. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

Installed BC racing coil overs quickly the other day :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drop has really helped the look and stance, the fronts can go down about another inch, the rears have about 2 inches to play with still.

This was how they were setup from the factory, and to be honest it looks pretty good. The fronts I think are good where they are, the rears I will bring down another half inch or so.

JamalS13 likes this.
  16. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

man it looks great.

17. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

I had a vision when we got this thing...and its slowly coming together :)

18. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

Looks great, you should corner balance it if it's hitting the track. Then do an alignment, it will make a world of difference.

19. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

Yes that's on the list, haven't had the time to do all the brakes yet. But once I get that finished, I'll get the rest of the exhaust fabricated.

Then the alignment and corner balancing :)...can't wait!

20. skylinetimes

skylinetimes New Member

got around to doing the front rotors, pads, and a paint of the callipers this afternoon....I would of done the rears as well but I was stumped by the fact the rear discs are also incorporated with the hub. So instead of swapping out the old rear wheel bearings I am ordering some new ones before I finish this brake job.

Oh and I snapped a hardline on the LF brake line trying to get the stock brake line off to replace with the HEL braided lines I got....just my damn luck! Looks like I need to get a line with a fitting now FACKKKK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dagleykd likes this.