E Class (W210) Headlight Bulb

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by RyanV, Apr 25, 2014.

1. RyanV

RyanV Member

Anyone know if the W210 E Class bulb is a H7 regardless of whether you have the Xenon headlights or Hella?

2. SilverStar

SilverStar New Member

H7 for Hellas, OEM xenons are D2R.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Are the housings the same? Eg. can I just swap one for the other and the bulbs will fit? or are they different and I have to get a housing that's specific to Xenon D2R bulbs?

4. SilverStar

SilverStar New Member

No you can't. Housings are totally different, and you would need the ballasts to go to xenon. There's only two ways to convert a hella equipped car to hid. A complete OEM xenon swap with new housings, bulbs, ballasts and all wiring, usually about $900 used, and even then you wouldn't have the self leveling feature that xenon equipped cars came with. Or do what most people do and buy a set of Depo headlights from eBay. If you go that route make sure to get a set that is wired to be error free or else you will get a bulb malfunction warning.

5. RyanV

RyanV Member

Hmmm...I'm going to have to check what's actually in the E55T. The shop is telling me it has xenons, but I thought when I checked the spec list on the car it had Hellas, so maybe it just has a HID kit in it and they think they are xenons. So much easier to deal with all of this when I'm living in the same place where the car is. This is a PITA right now.

6. SilverStar

SilverStar New Member

You probably have xenons, by late 98 I believe they were standard on AMG cars. The Russian vin decoder said my wagon was Hella equipped but it had xenons. If you have a pic of the housing I could tell you right away.

7. RyanV

RyanV Member

The shop sent me this pic of the back of it:

[​IMG]

They also sent me a pic of the bulbs it needs and it looks like it's the D2R's.

8. SilverStar

SilverStar New Member

Yup, xenons. The bulb socket is right on the ballast and is secured via those three torx screws.