BC DRL mobile help $?

Discussion in 'Regional' started by JFT, Oct 28, 2016.

1. JFT

JFT New Member

Hey guys, I'm getting fed up so bad with that DRL module. I'm not that bad with wiring but now my mind is puzzled...
    1- I tapped the Positive to the Cigarette lighter.
    2- I wired both fog lights from the module.
    3- I attached the module's ground to an existing body ground.
    4- There's a yellow cable that will go to the position light so it can dim 30%, not yet attached, its fished though.

But at this point it should work ( without the 30% dim ) but it doesn't...
    There's no place to hook up after market LED on the truck. So I wired straight to the fog lights sockets, cancelling the fogs to substitute them with the DRL. First when I saw it was not working, I though maybe the original bulbs were requiring too much voltage so this morning I went out to get replacement with same socket but with LED light, ( 5W instead of 32W ) classic 1156 but still not working...

So now I'm desperate and I can't move the truck to have it fixed either. Nobody I know knows how to help me. So I'm reaching out! I'm in South Burnaby, anybody on the forum would be willing to help like tonight or Saturday during the day? I would pay of course. You can send me a private message maybe and we can discuss of that?

Hopefully someone can help! If not well I tried! Cheers

2. trev

trev New Member

I stopped F'ing with modules many cars ago.

I just use one of those fuse taps and tap parking light fuse.

Has worked so far ...

_drew likes this.
  3. JFT

JFT New Member

Yeah seriously man!
    That fuse taps technique I've seen it on this forum a while ago. I'm just chicken a bit to do it because I don't have much reference on my truck, don't know which fuse it is and if phok up something I don't know what I would do!

Anyways, went through it all again. I have 12V to the module, it's grounded, the fuse is alright, polarity is all good. The only thing is the power that goes to the bulbs is only 3.5W. So when it exit the box, it passes from 12 to 3.5. At this point I'm thinking the module is broken ( shipping from back East USA ) or it's a module for a specific DRL that uses low wattage. I don't know, I'm not good enough to trouble shoot more than...

So I just came back from Canadian Tire and got a different DRL module for $45. This one work with the existing from light so I don't have to add more lights. I didn't know it existed till today, I though it was always coming with extra lights...

I'll work on that all night and find out...

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

You could have bought this one from me for less :p

http://import-era.com/threads/fs-hamsar-drl-unit.1713/

5. JFT

JFT New Member

Ah shoot! That would have been better and cheaper... It didn't even occur to me to look in the classified. I already opened the package, now it's too late.
    Thank you for making me more frustrated lol ;) :)
    Or you could come give me a hand installing it :p :DB)

Cheers man!

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

I would if I had any electrical skills, but I'm not too useful for that stuff :\

7. JFT

JFT New Member

It's alright, I was just bugging you to be funny :) and you've been helpful to me already on a different subject as well!

Still working on it, got a late start, had to deal with tires this morning. I had to do 2 trips because I can't drive the truck :rolleyes:.
    Got some very nice rubberz for the truck, Nokian WR C3. It was hard to find tires with a load D in that size, got them from Kal Tire in Alberta...

8. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

9. JFT

JFT New Member

Oh yes, that's seems like THE way to go! Would have been easier and I like that you can remove it after. Let's be honest we pretty much just do that to pass...
    Thanks for the link, added to my watch list for the next car ;)

10. Dah_Hunter

Ya you can find them for cheaper then that.. its a super common relay you could prolly just go to any auto wrecker and grab one for like a buck or something.
    I got some cheap ones from china years ago.

11. JFT

JFT New Member

Nice! You guys are so resourceful! Thanks for that again.
    I have to say the learning curve of a first import is a bit overwhelming but you guys made my life so much easier, Cheers

12. JFT

JFT New Member

Holly Fu** I'm getting tired of that DRL thing...
    So the first module was connecting to an ACC cable, was easy to use the Cigarete lighter.
    Now the new module needs a RUN only positive wire, it's my last wire to plug of course...
    I though using the windshield pump motor wire but the multi meter don't show much V and I don't know why but both cable have a stripe and I can't determine the polarity, it seems to switch polarity when passing from nothing to the key at ON. I was thinking the switch for the windows would work but what I pain to get there...

Sorry I had to share! I wish I knew about those relay before, what a pain in the a**

13. trev

trev New Member

See post #2.

14. silent112

silent112 Ryan

Your lights may draw too much power from a cigarette lighter and blow the 10-15 amp fuse that's in there. Use a dedicated wire, or use a multimeter to find a spare fuse that goes above 12V with the ignition on, and stays at 0V when off.

15. JFT

JFT New Member

Yep, you're right man! I ended up doing this, fuse tap at $15 from Canadian Tire and a wire all the way and that's it!

So glad it's done, ready for inspection now!

Thank you guys for moral support cheers

16. JFT

JFT New Member

Well... Guess who's back!!B):D
    I feel bad I haven't came back here in a while, reading all those previous posts I got such great support from all of you to make this happen.
    I just love the truck, been driving it everyday.
    So I've been dreaming of special car "to me" for 19 years now... Never had too much money and now I feel time is passing and the car is getting very rare to find.
    Long story short, one came up on the Japanese auction and I scored it! I've been looking for almost 3 years... So it should be showing up in a month or so.
    Back to the thread... Freakin DRL ;)
    I remember ending up with the module and a fuse tap. (long gone btw)
    I'm thinking of using the method provided by "Dah_Hunter" and buy those relay off amazon. I guess I have two questions?
    - Can I just remove the OEM light relays and replace them with these by plugging them in the box at the same spot?
    - Or I install them in the engine bay, positive and negative straight from the battery so it's easy to remove. Then I could use one of those fuse taps and tap into an accessories in the box. Lastly, my last wire would splice into two for each headlights? That's the part I'm not too sure...

Thank you so much in advance for your time. Cheers guys, JF

17. Dah_Hunter

sent you a PM

18. JFT

JFT New Member

Hey! I sent you a couple of PM, write me back when you get a minute please.
    Cheers