DIY Floor Mat Material

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OGHalo, Jul 12, 2020.

1. OGHalo

OGHalo New Member

Aug 20 Update: If anyone is looking for a cheap way to make your own DIY floor mats, this is the way to go in route with.

Needed:
    • Blade Cutter (works like butter)
    • 2 Rubber floor mats ( depends on the size and where you buy them)
    • Your original floor mats
    Where to buy:

You can buy 2 2'x5 rubber floor mats at dollaramma for 4 dollars each for Canadian location, if not try the links on the bottom

US Buyers► https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Concord-Charcoal-Gray-3-ft-x-4-ft-Commercial-Mat-1001347/202259648
    Canadian Buyers► https://www.lowes.ca/product/mats/korhani-3-x-4-conrad-utility-mat-382543

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  2. OGHalo

OGHalo New Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  3. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

I've got two JDM imports with DYI mats from Japan installed above OEM mats (huge wow factor when removed during selling and show brand new condition of OEM mats).
    They had spikes on the bottom to prevent mats from slipping. Not sure if bottom material of https://www.lowes.ca/product/mats/korhani-3-x-4-conrad-utility-mat-382543 will keep them still... but for $11 it is not a brainer to try and share with us your experience.

Good luck!

OGHalo and tperkins like this.
  4. OGHalo

OGHalo New Member

Thanks man, I wasn't looking buy a set from USA anyways since shipping to Canada isn't an option, so its an option for people that live in US that wanted to do something similar.

5. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

OGHalo, I know you are busy with your headlights now, just curious how is it going with floor mats?

6. OGHalo

OGHalo New Member

I haven't started at all tbh, I don't have access to my vehicle as I'm in Ontario and my current car is in Alberta atm, so once I get back to Alberta I'll start uploading pictures :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  7. OGHalo

OGHalo New Member

While looking around my local Dollarama, I came across 2'x5' "DMAISON Ribbed Runner Mat with Latex facing" for 4 dollars cad. I grabbed 2 just in case I run out of room

IMG_3053.JPG

Since I'm in Ontario and don't have my Subaru Legacy Wagon BH5 with me, so I decided to trace the mats out with my 2018 Madza 3 GS Sedan floor mats. Only the 2 front floor mats fit the first mat but have lots of room for the rear floor mats with the second mat with left over material.

IMG_3051.JPG

What I did is I flipped the DMAISON Ribbed Runner Mat up side down showing the back of the mat and did the same with my Mazda floor mats

IMG_3054.JPG

Used a black or red marker to trace the floor mat with and circle the holes that hold the mat in place. I recommend using blade cutters for cutting the mats but scissors work fine as well but it's kind of hard to cut in some areas. For hooks you can either drill a hole or pock a screw driver to make a hole don't matter. I also use a lighter to remove any threads at the ends that stick out.

IMG_3056.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3061.JPG
    IMG_3062.JPG
    IMG_3063.JPG
    IMG_3064.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG

This is what the floor mats look like after cutting, really nice feeling, even without the hooks it stays in place with the latex backing on the bottom. The extra material I have I plan to make a carpet piece for the center in the back to protect the carpet. For around $8.00 - $10.00 dollars you can't go wrong with that.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Pajerist likes this.
  8. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Looks great! Thanks for an update.

OGHalo likes this.
  9. OGHalo

OGHalo New Member

This is optional: For the extra material I had, I wanted to make a center carpet in the back seats which didn't came with the car, so I did a few measurements and trim out a cardboard box to at least most part to start off with something to fit it in place, the rest I somewhat trim off the left over to fit it in place while it sat in the final spot, I highly recommend using a blade cutter, it cuts like butter.

IMG_3081.JPG

This is what the final product looks like in the car

IMG_3082.JPG
    IMG_3083.JPG
    IMG_3084.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Pajerist likes this.
  10. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Looks perfect! Good you had a leftovers for a central piece.

OGHalo likes this.