Did My Japanese Car Exporter Steal My Money?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Derek, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

Sorry to hear that, Tyler! Now I see where your tension came from...
    As for me, the last name "Smith" kind of alarming :)
    I do not think it is real, it is too generic :(
    It is the second case for the last 12 years when I hear that agent in Japan disappears with someone's money... Such a bad luck :(

2. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

Hi Tyler,

I know Steve Smith. I know for a fact that he had USS membership in 2008 because he was our purchasing agent for the first 6 or 8 months we were in business. I used to carry a USS card with his company name on it. We had a falling out (a long time ago now) and you can't really call us friendly with one another. That's neither here nor there. Even if I don't like Steve, I will correct people that are misinformed.

According to my interpretation of the USS regulations, they don't want companies publicly displaying their auction results. This is why we stopped showing it on our Youtube videos. However, I don't believe we would be breaking their rules by doing so privately in an email. We have many customers ask us for auction results and USS allows past sales history to be viewed for a reason. If they request we don't mention any past sales history, I will stop offering it. Until then, I will continue doing so.

Yes, we have been impersonated by other companies. Beyond that, I just don't like the idea of publicly showing our private information. You may feel differently and other exporters might feel differently but I see it similar to sharing my driver's license or residence card on a public forum. It might be safe to do so but I can't guarantee it.

If you don't trust us, that's fine. I understand it can be difficult to know who to trust. It is not something that can be forced on people. Though I ask that you refrain from telling people that we don't have auction membership. More for your sake then mine. I can very easily prove it is wrong, and I don't want to be put in a position where I am making people look silly.

Cheers

3. TylerH

TylerH New Member

I know you know Steven, he tell me when I was his customer.
    I understand about not wanting to show drivers license because it may have personal stuff on it, I do not want to see your drivers licenses I want to see if you are honest about the auction and membership. All I am trying to do is protect myself but you are not making it easy.

USS id does not have personal stuff on it, I have checked. It only has your photo, company name, your name and your USS id number and everyone wear it around their neck at auction so it is not secret or if the information is stolen from your id card it is only your company name and your name which is not personal information.

Example, this member blanked out id number on card but that is ok because some do ---- http://www.yaizu-h.net/wp4/uss-2-3089.html

If you google USS ID Member Card you can find photo of many ID cards.

So I still do not understand why you cannot show yours if you do have because others do and if you do show why would it make me now look silly.

But anyway, we go around in circles, my gut feeling now is you do not want to post on here or anywhere because people who know more than me may see something not correct about it.
    Sorry, but this is how I feel after doing my research and asking others.

4. Kardon

Kardon New Member

Sounds to me that Derek is happy to show it to you in a PM and it seems kind of unreasonable for him to post his ID publicly online. I know I wouldn't want any personal identification like that, regardless of its intended use, to be scanned and uploaded onto the internet. That's just my 2 cents at least.

5. Darksider

Darksider New Member

I'll share my experience in case it helps others to make a decision on how to proceed.

I looked at different sites for a few months, ultimately I had a reccomendation from a colleague to use Pacific Coast. I was given Andrew's name and dealt mostly with him but also with Derek and others.

I won the first car I bid on for less than my max bid. My biggest concern was the length of time it took to transport the car from Auction to Pacific Coast, however, my car was coming from far away and because of a misquote of the inland transportation cost on the translation my cost was reduced. Pacific Coast absorbed the cost as it was their error, that was very nice, and to me it instilled trust.

When my car shipped it turned out that the shipping was less than expected. Pacific Coast quickly told me and refunded the money! I would have never known the difference.

Derek also went out of his way to help close my sunroof that the auction house had jammed open and took extra shots for me so I could start sourcing some parts while it was in transit. This was above and beyond.

I can't say I wasn't nervous about sending money overseas and waiting months for the car to arrive. I read some of those negative posts but I also saw all the cars passing through Pacific Coast. There had to be lots of satisfied customers and, as with any business, there is always some negativity on the web. If I got burned I would likely never do this again as there is risk involved in many aspects of this type of transaction but also reward. This is not for everyone but I feel that Andrew, Derek and others were more than fair to me and I would use them again. I also used Ken at Payline to tranfer money and couldnt be more satisfied.

My two cents.

6. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

@Darksider, you should copy and paste the above post into the "Reviews" section as well.

7. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

USS contacted me yesterday and told me to come in today for a meeting.

The meeting went well. The man at USS was pleasant. Props to Naoko for helping me with Japanese.

He told us that another exporter (with 20 years history as a member) had made a complaint about us in regards to a number of things.

Basically he wanted us to take down a number of videos on Youtube which were posted before we were a member. No problem.
    I asked if our current videos that we have been shooting all comply with the regulations and he said yes. There will be no change to our current weekly video and auction purchase reviews.

One of the complaints was this thread... The person said that we should be not allowed to tell people sales data of past auctions and that he requests that we have our membership revoked.

I asked many specific questions and the man at USS said that we are not breaking any regulations by telling individual customers what their selling price at auction is.

As long as I take down the old videos, and not show sale prices on public forums, it is fine. I can leave this thread online.

I'm glad to know that common sense won this time and we can continue helping people out.

Greg likes this.
  8. celicarefugee

celicarefugee New Member

Whoever made this complaint sounds like someone who has been greatly helped in his "business practices" by USS's new policies.

9. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Hooray! Good to hear people went at it level headed and there was a positive outcome!

10. Pajerist

Pajerist New Member

100% agree!
    But still, do not understand the reason for "other person's" grieving over Derek's success.
    Also, I never heard "USS" on Derek's youtube channel... Anyway, all's well that ends well!