Colin's 1990 EF7 CRX Si glasstop

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Ihatedomestic, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Here's my little CRX story...

It all started way back in the early 2000's. I had just bought an imported Japanese "ZC"engine for my old, tired & rusted CDM 1990 CRX DX. This engine was a bolt in extra 35hp for my car and often wondered why Canada didn't get such an option in these cars.
    At this point in time, I had no idea that companies were importing entire cars...I was simply amazed at all the clean, low mileage engines people were starting to bring in. I would "surf the net" for hours, just looking at all of these different engines and these cool half-cut, RHD cars, with all these cool options that were never available.
    Then I somehow stumbled onto Importconcern's web page...and the obsession began. I was on their site daily, checking out new stock and using their log in to look through the USS auctions. I would look through all of the crazy, unique cars I had never heard of, nor seen before...dreaming of the day I could get enough cash together to buy one.
    I waited a couple of years, trying to save what I could. Unfortunately, saving is not one of my strongest traits. It wasn't until I went back to school and opened up a big 'ol student line of credit, that I was able to free up enough virtual cash for my "dream car"...eventually settling on the car you see below, in early 2006.
    I think this was the early days for a lot of companies and I had a lot of hassles with this car before I could legally drive it here in N.S.
    It was purchased through a company that no longer exists: JDMachines, who used Monky's Inc in Japan. The fella, Will, at JDMachines was good to deal with...but man, there were some hiccups:
    -car was purchased from auction in March, Ro/Ro to BC, train to Halifax. Didn't arrive until late Sept. Updates as to where the car was or when it was going to arrive, were non-existant. I HATE the waiting game!
    -all of the paperwork was not provided. The original export cert. was not given to me...and the DMV wanted to see the original, plus an officially translated copy. JDMachines was unable to help me with this, so I had to go right to Monky's Inc with an email campaign. Monky's broken english emails basically stated that they had an audit by the government and that all of their paperwork was siezed. GREAT! Somewhere along the way, I managed to get a PDF of the Ex. Cert and printed off in color, on thick card stock, then paid to have it officially translated. I tried many times at the DMV, with nothing but rejection. After 1.5 years of trying, I finally got the right person, at the right time...and she put it through. I almost jumped the counter and kissed her.
    Many happy years later...it's all in the past and it's happily sitting in the garage, waiting for salt-free roads, so that it can finally roll over 90k km.

More on this thing later...I need a break...

Let me try some old pictures first:

Sure Flickr...whatever you say!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/115536662@N02/12155957234/

Shit son! This worked...how did I make it work?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pajerist likes this.
  2. Speed Stick

Speed Stick The Halifax kid

Cool thread man. Its awesome that you still own this car after like 8 years. And its still so low km.

3. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Cool car, I've always had a soft spot for those CRX's. Crazy story too! I can't believe how long it took you to get it registered with all that paper work crap. I would be so choked!

4. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Sweet car. I love the look of the CRX

5. _drew

_drew New Member

I regret every single second since I sold my EF8 glasstop SIR, but I get a warm spot in the old ticker when I see people with the passion for these cars like yourself!

Keep this thread going, awesome little car!

6. Ihatedomestic

Continuing on...

So, I had the car in the driveway, but only drove it once in awhile because at this point it was still not registered. Luckly my other car was a Black Honda Civic CX...so if I happened to get the plate checked by a police officer, things would appear that the plate belonged to the car :)
    Tired of not being able to drive it and having just sold my old CRX...I decided to build a home made turbo kit for it. My previous CRX had a well sorted and reliable home made turbo setup. I kept a lot of parts from that old kit and transfered some of it to the new car. Unfortunately, due to the extra stuff under the hood (power steering, A/C components), I was never able to get the same results as the old setup. This new setup was unreliable (hoses popping off), didn't make as much power and just generally did not fit under the hood. If I had more time/money and wasn't so hell bent on keeping the A/C, it would have eventually worked.
    I only drove it with this turbo setup for several months...then parked the car, tore it all out and focused on a N/A build.

Some turbo related pics...

Free turbo! Warrantied from a Dodge Sprinter Van. Odd turbo - variable vanes directed air away/toward the compressor wheel, varying the turbo speed and hence changing boost pressures.
    [​IMG]

Yes, there are 3 rows cut from the side of this radiator. I needed the room!
    [​IMG]

Mitubishi Starion intercooler hiding behind the bumper cover
    [​IMG]

Despite the car's auction grade of 3.5/C ...the interior is in amazing shape, except for the rear seat (which is purely decorative BTW).
    I got bored one weekend and decided to have a reunion of sorts...not since Jr. High school had I been at the controls of a sewing machine. The results were surprising actually. The covers I made were not made from UV resistant material and have since faded.

Seat recovery!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sandblasted the metal frame, then applied some zinc chromate primer. Old side sections were reused.
    [​IMG]

End result...crappy pic:
    [​IMG]

7. JamalS13

JamalS13 I like cheese

Such a nice crx! So jealous, ive always wanted one, the rear seats look good with fabric too, i really like it.

8. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

Awesome work done. Looking forward to more updates.

9. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Cool... Are you planning on putting in a more ideal rad?

10. Ihatedomestic

Um, yes...that rad is long gone...and so is that entire turbo nonsense.
    These days it's a decently built N/A, that seems to pull quite nicely. Works way better now with the terrible turbo gone.
    Everyone hates words, I know...so more pics after this next paragraph!

Cool Mustard colored wheels that came with the car from the motherland. Turns out they are genuine Watanabe! They're super light and are used for track/autocross use only these days. First pic is the 10 year old Yokohamma tires that came with the car. 2nd pic is a fresh set of Toyo R888...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine shots! Look how clean it is inside. This was around 70k km, when the springs/retainers/cams went in.
    [​IMG]

...and how it looked this past summer:
    [​IMG]

11. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

That's better... :) very nice

12. Ihatedomestic

One of these days I'll go back to the full size, original CRX rad, instead of the gansta-lean 92+ Civic half rad.
    That's one of the few things left to buy for it, until it's "done".

More pics...

The glass roof:
    [​IMG]

Street form:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the driveway with the rest of the junk:
    [​IMG]

Track/Autoslalom form:
    [​IMG]

13. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

What a great looking car..

you are my hero.

14. Ihatedomestic

Thanks!
    Well, you're my hero for getting to drive around all those cool, freshly imported cars! I'll let you drive mine, if you let me drive all of yours!
    It's nothing like that old red 89 you were showing in one of your videos. The JDM cars are so much lighter, much more power and shorter gear ratios. It is a great autocross/track car and has a couple of FTDs at local events here in the Maritimes.
    One downfall you might notice (since you're so freakishly tall) is that the JDM cars don't allow the front seats to slide all of the way back, unlike the CDM versions where the seat slides all the way back, allowing for the tallest of freaks to fit in the front :)

15. Ihatedomestic

Well, another autocross season has started here in N.S....and the little beastie has taken another FTD at a local event. Even with the 4 year old, well worn Toyo R888 tires, in the cold, she stuck in the front and had just enough slip in the rear to do some nice fwd drifts around some of the tight turns.
    I need to sell my WRX so that I can buy a new set of race tires... Who wants a WRX???

16. Speed Stick

Lcuky, I won't be able to get out until the #3 auto x. Damn sailing schedule....

17. Ihatedomestic

Insert lame "sea man" joke here

18. Speed Stick

Duty Calls. Someone has to keep the car carriers safe from the pirates lol

19. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Lovin that glass roof!!
    Is that a GF8 STi in your driveway behind the camper trailer?

20. Ihatedomestic

Yes, a 96 ver. 2. Scroll down the members rides section...it's there and it's for sale :)