Cheap Auto Transport from Vancouver to Calgary

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by topgear, Oct 9, 2014.

1. topgear

topgear New Member

Anyone have any suggestions on reasonably priced auto transporters?

Thanks.

2. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

3. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

4. RyanV

RyanV Member

Precision Carriers (if they are still around) if you don't want to use rail transportation. I'm not sure how the price comparison is though.

5. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Drive you wuss. Its like 10hrs or so.

Greg likes this.
  6. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Yeah! Drive! If I can take the first ferry off the Island and get to Calgary for 10PM, you can do it in less already being on the mainland.

7. RyanV

RyanV Member

It's getting to that time of year where you could be stuck in a snow storm though. Those mountains can be pretty unforgiving. Especially the route to Calgary.

8. inokiyo

inokiyo New Member

Precision Carriers x 2. They are still around and bring a lot of JDM's into Calgary.
    They are awesome to deal with, good honest people. 604-853-0160 ask for Perry. :)

9. topgear

topgear New Member

:) I wish I could. Not easy to find the time when you have an infant at home, job and school.

I'll checkout Precision Carriers. Thanks guys.

10. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

Never had a problem with Livingston. Not sure of their pricing now, but it was about $600 for a car just a little over a year ago.

My last three cars, I've drove back in the winter. One being last years Vancouver snow storm, that was fun. Was a white-knuckle drive all the way up the Coq until I got to Kamloops. In Feb, I was driving a S15 home when Eastern BC and Alberta had -36C temps and with my luck the thermostat wasn't holding any heat, had to grab some cardboard out behind a De Dutch and shove it in front of the rad and it was still cold!

11. topgear

topgear New Member

dmnd: $600 sounds decent. I was charged by Livingston almost $800. That was for delivery to their own yard. Not to mention the extra time for delivery since they use rail until Edmonton and then by car transport to Calgary.

12. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Does Precision Carriers also deliver to Edmonton? How does the price compare?

13. inokiyo

inokiyo New Member

I am pretty sure Precision Carriers delivers to Edmonton, but best to call Perry and make sure! :)

14. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

By the time you pay for the flight to Vancouver, food and gas on the way back, its getting close to car transport. Not to mention driving through the mountains in the winter super sucks, in a car with no visors, washer sprayers, and is pissing oil out of the front main at the rate of 1 qwt every 20min.
    On the other hand I've had a few come back in the summer easy peasy!

15. trev

trev New Member

Precision brought a car from Edmonton to me...

16. Soren

Soren Hiatus is the best way to control the urges..

I've had a couple trips back through the mountains that were a touch.. hairy. After my second car (WRX), I won't do a trip after October without winter tires (besides the signs that say Oct-May must carry chains on the Coq) it's just a bad idea. So, that adds to your trip cost, and some logistics issues, ie - how to get tires, and get them on before you leave etc.
    I haven't shipped for a long time, actually only did it on my first one.

As for cost, most of my cars have cost about 10.00L per 100Km. So, about 120L of fuel at an average of about 1.20 each is 144.00
    Flight from Edmonton/Calgary to Vancouver/Abbotsford can be done for 250-300
    First night hotel 100.00 Vancouver
    Transport around Vancouver.. depends. Bus is cheap, and it's pretty easy to get from the airport to hotel, to bus route..Cab, not so much.
    Gas to Edmonton/Calgary 150.00
    If you stay a second night (like I usually do) then another 120.00 or so.

What does that put us up to? around 500.00, add in food and any extras for your car that you need (if it's in need of some love).
    I guess I pay more than transport costs, because I pay FVI to pick up from the docks, and go through the car before I get there, to make sure everything is tip top. They've saved me so much money (for instance on my Aristo, the turbo looked to be blown initially, but with some serious work, they got 'er all fixed up, no probs)
    If it's not in good shape, then I know to look for transport I guess.

I wouldn't do the trip everytime if I wasn't pretty sure. I certainly wouldn't do it with a Subaru over 110,000 Km again though haha! Both times I had one with that many K, I had a rough trip, coolant wise.. yeesh!

topgear likes this.
  17. tperkins

Thanks for the info, I should however have specified, how does the price of Precision compare to rail transport?

18. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

If you had D_H receive and inspect your car. Then drove out with a friend stayed one night in van. Then drove back thats like $600 + D_H.

If snow / drivability / availability arent an issue it could be worth it.

But if your taking a day off spending 2 days in van. Or are flying out ( with out pre booking for cheap rate) i can see how it adds up real fast.

With how much it costs to Ont and the length of time it takes then to transport and process it, makes it pretty much a toss up. So I personally would go for the trip vs waiting.

Also, with the way we have to register them here in Ont. its nice to have a chance to drive your car before you get bent over safetying it.

If you fix your own cars then a quiet ride through different conditions can help you spot or troble shoot some issues.

19. trev

trev New Member

Precision called it a "back haul" and it was cheaper than what I pay from Vancouver to me. So I don't know, they certainly don't overcharge. Just call, and as said, ask for Perry. They are decent to deal with.

20. tperkins

Just an update, small car from Vancouver to Edmonton is about 565$ from Precision Carriers (which seems very reasonable). Would anyone be able to post more feedback on them for me? (and others)