Chatbox!

Discussion in 'Requests' started by pitty, Oct 15, 2013.

?

Will it blend?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Perhaps

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. It will bend

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Since the chatbox blows, and a chatbox that does not blow is very important, a better one had to be concocted.

Live demo is available at http://test.kyun.ca/broad, it has endured a few days of testing scrutiny by the homies and I reckon I eliminated any technical shortfalls. The rest of the info is at https://github.com/pittypoof/kyun-punbb-chat.

Toss any comments, concerns, questions, requests my way, and let's make it happen!

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

sooo this new chat box has more Social features.. like Happy faces, and tag support.

im to lazy to actually look at the differences.

If Terrel wants to set it up then im down.

I dont care either way.. lacking of happy Faces isnt the end of the world for me.

(Congrats on your first post)

3. Braden

Braden New Member

Have been testing this for last little while. Please integrate asap. Much, much better.

4. Terrell

Terrell Moderator

hey pitty, thanks for an awesome first post! no concerns here with upgrading the chatbox. I'll work on integrating it this weekend. ;)

EDIT: I just realized this is a chatbox you actually made, so thanks for helping out! Since i'm more of an ops/admin guy and not so much dev, I don't know that much php. :p

5. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

i didnt notice that it was custom chatbox.. now im more impressed.

good work pitty.

6. pitty

Yeah, I couldn't find anything functional out there, so had to break out the tools.

Install should be uneventful, it's properly packed into an extension. Then just dump the template tag into main.tpl (somewhere right under forum_announcement would do) and voila. It can be installed without git/composer, but using both would allow to beam updates from the cloud instantly.

7. Rygar

Rygar That's what she said.

Now if you could only use it to speak English, we'd all understand what is going on!
    ;)

8. Terrell

Terrell Moderator

sweet, thanks pitty. So, I pulled down the git repo, got it installed, and installed the extension through the admin interface. I noticed that it seems the directory needs to be named with _ instead of - or else the admin panel can't recognize it.

Also, I'll put in a PR, but I would think you might want to leave the default engine and charset of the table up to whatever the database defaults are set to. For example, in our case we're just using innodb.

A few questions on next steps:

1. Where are the settings for different templates(guests vs authenticated users)
    2. What do I actually dump into the main.tpl

9. pitty

Starting with 2): you dump one of the two tags anywhere you want the chatbox to appear. Typically, like such (how it's set up in my test case):
    [​IMG]

As for 1), The other template tag (kyun_chatbox_everyone) will show the chatbox to guests, but won't allow them to chat until they log in. I'd just go with the users tag.

As for the db table, it's actually created via the PunBB database facility during installation (you can check manifest.xml for details), so it should use whatever defaults the board in general assumes.

10. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

I am so confused with what just happened...Should I be looking for the chatbox on here, and I just don't see it?

11. Terrell

Terrell Moderator

ah okay, cool thanks for the help on the tag. I noticed the default Oxygen theme didn't have any tpl files, so i'm testing with Hydrogen for now. From what I poked around at, it looks like there's some templates I might be able to copy over main.tpl and admin.tpl from /include/templates.

So, in Hydrogen i've gotten the chatbox to load, but it doesn't seem like the sends are working..:\ I took a screenshot a console so you can take a look at where its crapping out at, but it seems to be something with that send ajax endpoint.
    [​IMG]

to sum it up in english, pitty noticed that the chatboxes that are offered for punbb suck, so he made one himself. I'm in the process if getting it working on our site so we can do awesome things like edit chat posts. haha

12. pitty

The templates should be theme-independent, actually. The files are globally in /include/template, while themes are in /style.

Check the webserver error log, that ought to clarify the HTTP500.

13. Terrell

Terrell Moderator

ahh okay, yeah i'll try sticking it in there then once I get this working with the one theme.

Yep, just replied to your PM and send a few of the entries that I see pop up in the error log when I hit send.

14. Terrell

Terrell Moderator

After sorting out a few bugs with pitty it looks like things are up and running! ;) time to go play with our shiny new toy!

15. Braden

Braden New Member

Doesn't show up for me.

I see now. Have to go to profile, settings, and change theme. It doesn't work on stock one.

16. pitty

That. Evidently, if the theme has a custom main.tpl in its folder, it needs to have the tag added as well. :/

17. Terrell

Terrell Moderator

looks like things are working for me on all the themes. Possibly a browser cache issue?

18. Braden

Braden New Member

Is working for me on all themes now as well.

19. pitty

Small update to this thing, better url translation and a :rice: emoticon [​IMG]* for those who like "Glowshift" accessories.

* Yes, it is that rice bowl.

20. Terrell

Terrell Moderator

woops, totally never saw this. :p I'll go to a git pull so we can have ricebowl awesome-ness!