BC Cars that are eligible for collector's status in the near future?

Discussion in 'Regional' started by hk20000, Jan 24, 2017.

1. hk20000

hk20000 New Member

The rules of ICBC collector suggests that cars that are limited production (1500 annually or less) that is in exceedingly good condition is eligible for collector's insurance rate (which is very low) for pleasure uses when the car is 15 years old. What are some up and coming cars that qualify for this criteria in the next couple of years?

So far I have gathered:
    Mercedes-benz E55 wagons S210
    Nissan stagea 260rs WGNC34
    Subaru impreza S201 GC8
    Subaru impreza 22B GC8

What else that are going to be available to us that is going to be immediately eligible as collector's vehicles once it lands? If there is one where can you find the info of the exact production number world wide?

2. RyanV

RyanV Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think the E55T's will qualify. I think there were more than 1500 made each year. I think it's based on world wide production and I believe when I looked at numbers previously it was more than 1500. Finding creditable info on MB's AMG models seems to be difficult. I also don't think the S201's will qualify because I think (and again, I could be wrong) they will just be viewed as a "special edition" which does not qualify for collector status. Just like the V-Ltd models do not qualify.

I think most Alpina's qualify. They are also easy to get production numbers for at alpinaarchive.com. When I applied for collector status all I had to do was refer them to that website.

Also, as a stipulation of carrying the collector car status, you must have another vehicle that you use for daily driving. When you get your collector insurance policy they ask you for the license plate of your daily driver. I get asked every year. It's also on the website that you need to have another vehicle. I don't think they'll give you a collector insurance policy if it's your only vehicle even if you have a transit pass to prove you don't drive your car to work/school. Just something to remember before dreaming of cheap insurance :) And once you have the policy you can't use the vehicle to drive to work....ever. I wanted to drive my car for one day while my daily was at the shop, but they wouldn't let me do it. I was willing to pay for extra insurance for the one day use, but they wouldn't allow. This wasn't just the broker either. They called into ICBC and they said no.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  3. hk20000

hk20000 New Member

It's truly for collecting purpose. But you are free to take it to car meets and buy groceries as often as you want.

Alpina is nice. I would think if the S201 which is part of the model would make it a "model" tho it's right on the model description. Officially a Subaru impreza s201 instead of wrx sti as with the sti. Chassis plaque says xxx/300

What's coming in the future in that criteria?

4. tegu

tegu New Member

Correct me if I am wrong - all the car needs to be is 25 years old:

To qualify, your vehicle must be one of the following:
    25 years or older
    A limited production vehicle
    15 years or older, and
    1 of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year.
    A discontinued vehicle
    15 years or older, and
    A manufacturer that owns the "trademark" or "make" of that vehicle has ceased manufacturing vehicles of any kind for at least the last five years.

-Isnt it easier to wait the 25 year point? Isn't there some Miatas with Collector plates on it now?

5. hk20000

hk20000 New Member

At 25 years old they are all scrap especially models that are not limited production...

Better find a 15 year old limited car and go enjoy for 10 years instead!