Car Coming in on shipping bolster

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by Edgecrusher, May 15, 2018.

1. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher New Member

I have a 92 SVX coming over from Japan on a shipping bolster because it has some idling issues, and I am wondering if the shipping company (Wallenius Wilhelmsen) takes the cars off the off the bolster and leaves them at the port, or if they leave the car on the bolster for my transporter to unload?

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

I feel it will be unloaded like a container. I have never seen a car come over like that before.. Idling issues dont normaly stop a car from RO/RO.
    Im interested in your story.
    Who is your exporter.

And Welcome

3. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher New Member

Basic synopsis is I went through Integrity Exports to purchase the car from auction, and nowhere on the auction sheet did it list as having any idling issues, then I got an email from my exporter a couple days or so before the car was originally scheduled to leave stating that if the car is left running for a little while the engine stops, and had to be booked on a different ship and placed on a bolster because for whatever reason they didn't allow it to be loaded regularly onto the ship.

4. Dah_Hunter

Well very interesting, what Port is it going to? i have never seen a car go that way before.

5. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher New Member

It's going to Savannah, GA, and I just got off the phone with someone at Wallenius Wilhelmsen, who was super helpful for a change. They stated that they usually leave them on the bolster, but un-lash the vehicle so that way the transporter can load them directly onto the back of the truck if it is rollback, or they can use runners and push it off since it's only about six inches tall then load it up onto their truck.

6. Dah_Hunter

Cool. ya i have never seen cars loaded like that land here on the west Coast of canada.

7. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

Hey Edge, I'm currently looking for a forum to discuss importing, I just recently bought a 93 Soarer from auction through Pacific Coast Auto and am currently waiting for it to arrive. I'm having it shipped to Savannah as well and I was curious if you were in Georgia too and what kind of process is needed for registration once it gets here.

8. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

I had to get it repaired over in Japan first, needed a rebuilt alternator thankfully so it wasn't anything too bad, but being the first time importing I can't help but be nervous and hope everything works out when it gets here XD

Attached Files:

9. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher New Member

No sorry, I'm one state above you in South Carolina, I can't say I'm familiar with registering an imported vehicle yet either. This will be my first attempt at doing so. I'm preparing myself for the worst, but having a DMV story is part of owning an import so I'm ready. Also, I wish my importer would have given me the option to have my SVX fixed before it left Japan. It would have saved me quite a bit on shipping.

10. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

yeah I'd imagine so, and it seems to be cheaper to fix things over there, I got a new battery and alternator (rebuilt) w/ labor for about $415. I could do the work myself, but I figured I'd like to drive it out, not roll it out once it got to the US. The SVX had to be like the first subaru I drooled over, and still love. My boss at pizza hut back in the day drove one, two carseats in the back, and when I confronted him about it he said he just drove it because his stepdad gave it to him XD I had and still have a 94 celica and told him I'd trade him! (jokingly). but yeah, this process is a bit nerve racking, I'm guessing the whole importing thing is just slowly catching on now that the creme de la creme of the 90's is becoming available.

11. Dclevs

Dclevs New Member

Hey Edgecrusher, did you ever get your transmission fixed up? I got my soarer in a few weeks ago btw!

Edgecrusher likes this.
  12. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher New Member

No I haven't unfortunately, I had a couple emergencies come up, but in the meantime I have decided which direction I want to go with it. Instead of trying to find a shop that would be able to rebuild a JDM exclusive transmission on a car that's pretty rare to begin with, I have decided to find a donor legacy or impreza and convert it from automatic to manual. Also, congrats on the car, did you go with Progressive, and how was your DMV experience?