Car cleared/released without BOL surrendered?

Discussion in 'Importing Information' started by dmnd, Jun 14, 2020.

1. dmnd

dmnd Gallo 24

Hey I need some fellow experts to help me out on a burning question.

I was looking through some of my old import files. And stumbled upon something about the very first vehicle I had imported....

In 2012 I imported my 180SX. I remembered getting my documents from the exporter VERY late, after the arrival of the vessel. I used a local importer for the vehicle (was my first and last time). And they had ABC Custom Brokers in Surrey do the clearance.

The car arrived at WWL on Sept 16, ABC Brokers did the paperwork on the 17th and by Sept 18 it was cleared by CBSA and ready to go. I didn't get the documents from Japan for at least another week after that.

So i'm looking at this photocopy of the BOL from 8 years ago and I see it was stamped "surrendered" on Sept 20, two days after the car had already been released... What am I missing here? How did they do the steamship release before the original BOL was surrendered?

2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Seems odd. but back in the day it was easyer to "Sweet" talk you way thourgh customs if the paperwork wasnt just right. also customs brokers have a relationship with people at customs. soo things got pushed through.

3. trev

trev New Member

I think you got lucky ... because even days much older than that it was painful if you didn't have all the paperwork they like.

Perhaps your customers broker just had a connection there and things were "rubber stamped".