Canadian Importing Cost Calculator - Excel

Discussion in 'Importing Misc' started by Derek, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

Hi there,

I have had this calculator set up for a long time. It has received good feedback from the customers I have sent it to and I thought it was time to share it with everyone.

Please go ahead and download the price calculator and enjoy.

----

This calculator is used to get a basic idea of the costs to import a vehicle. As accurate as we would like this to be, it should be considered a rough estimate. This calculator is set up for Canadian purchases through Pacific Coast Auto and includes all fees for a basic purchase through us. Costs might be different for some purchases. It can be set up to work with other countries if you enter the appropriate import costs.

This calculator shows you the import cost but does not include the cost to inspect and comply to vehicle. You will need to get a safety inspection and the cost for this is not predictable. Therefore I left it out of the calculator. It is always a good idea to leave enough money for you to pay for unforeseeable costs during compliance and inspection.

To open the calculator, please use Microsoft Excel or a compatible program such as Openoffice (which is free).

Here is a screenshot of the calculator -

[​IMG]

Here is how it works -

1 - In the top right, enter the current exchange rate (line 3). Make sure to enter the amount that you can purchase currency for. The rate on websites like XE.com is not the rate you can buy currency for. I like to send people here - http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cgi-bin/travel/currency-converter.pl and tell them to pick the non-cash rate. The exchange rate should be the amount of yen per Canadian Dollar. Example - 92.5050

2 - Enter the shipping amount in yen (line 8). This can be given to you from your exporter but if you want a rough estimate, enter about 90,000 - 100,000 for a compact sedan, and about 145,000 yen for a van or SUV.

3 - The default PST is for BC. If you have a different PST rate in your province, change the rate on line 14, cell B. This amount is payable after the inspection, when you go to register the car.

3 - If you will be clearing customs yourself, erase the $250 under customs fee (line 19)
    (default cost for Thompson Pacific Logistics).

4 - If the vehicle will be transported inland, enter the cost in the transit box (line 20). Your exporter can probably give you a rough idea of the transit costs.

5 - You are ready to have fun. Enter the desired amount that the vehicle will sell for (line 5) and see what your costs will be.

Please enjoy and let me know in the thread if you like the calculator.

vvv Download link vvv

Attached Files:

Greg and Pajerist like this.
  2. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

This great ... Its what I use .... Quick and simple.
    Thx derek. Great post

3. lenglish

lenglish Exiled Cult Member

Super helpful, thanks Derek!

4. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Solid! thanks for sharing!!

5. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Thanks so much Derek! Might not be terribly helpful to me as I'd have to do RoRo or container shipping to Halifax though, haha!

6. Derek

Derek Derek Weldon

For Halifax,

Shipping to Halifax RORO is about 50% more than to Vancouver (New Westminster) so set sedan vehicles to 150,000 and large vehicles to 230,000 yen and you are good to go. If you want an accurate quote for a specific vehicle, I can get that for you.

Or calculate yourself -

New Westminster - 12,000 yen plus $80 USD per M3.
    Halifax - 12,000 yen plus $140 USD per M3.

Cheers

todd lewis likes this.
  7. Braden

Braden New Member

This is way better than mine hahah.

Thanks a bunch!

8. massabsamurai

massabsamurai New Member

it helps a ton, thank you

9. Stokes

Stokes Brad

Started using this calculator and it's pretty damn awesome. Too bad our currency exchange rate is so low right now :(

10. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Bumping this thread up cause this Calculator is awesome for people.

11. sanigene

sanigene New Member

First timer here....

This spreadsheet is awesome, thanks very much Derek.

Questions:
    - Looking for updated roro to Harifax, is Y150k still accurate for a sedan?
    - With the build your own price spec'd out by Derek there are mixed currencies thats a bit confusing. Do you pay the freight company in JPY or USD?
    - What is the customs fee? I've never seen or heard of that one in my research to date.
    - Assume the freight company is 2WL? According to their website there is no direct route from Japan to Hali. So does the car go to Baltimore then go on another boat to Hali?

tia,

sani

12. RyanV

RyanV Member

The only answer I have for you off the top of my head is that yes, the shipping company charges in USD. I'd imagine shipping prices are high right now compared to the past 5 years as a result.

sanigene likes this.
  13. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Shipping is charged to the Exporter in USD, but usualy reflected on your invoice in YEN unless your using Be-forward.
    Derek would have it in YEN.

sanigene likes this.
  14. Mark - Brave Auto

Mark - Brave Auto JDM Auction Agent/Exporter

Halifax is around US$98 per cube meter plus US$400
    Vessel goes from Japan to Baltimore, unloads and the vehicles are then loaded onto another vessel for Halifax.
    There are no direct vessels from Japan to Halifax.
    The US$98 is the (Jap - Balt) and the US$400 is the (Balt - Hal).
    Shipping is converted into JPY by the shipping agent here in Japan and then your agent charges you.
    All car export agents are charged the same amount for shipping by the shipping lines.

Shipping to Vancouver is US$80 per cube and has been this amount for the last 10+ yrs.

todd lewis and sanigene like this.
  15. sanigene

sanigene New Member

Thanks everybody for the info. Mark you nailed it thanks!

sani

16. Kardon

Kardon New Member

Thanks for this calculator! I just used it to compare the cost I'm being charged by my importer here in Calgary and I am much more comfortable now that I have a better understanding of the miscellaneous charges that contribute to the total selling price.

17. Vitaliy Varvaruk

Vitaliy Varvaruk New Member

Hi Kardon.
    I noticed you are from Calgary. I am from Red Deer and would like to import Mitsubishi Delica 4wd from Japan.
    I was wondering if you could share some info as for your experience with importing the car and maybe the name of the importer you would recommend. Thnks