Caldina info...?

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by dagleykd, Mar 1, 2014.

1. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Hey again folks!

In my cruising around the auction sites, I've come across the Toyota Caldina GT-T. Curious if anybody has any experience with or has heard anything about them? They'd make an interesting and unique (although harder to find parts for) alternative for an AWD DD than a Subie would, and I quite like the styling (especially the rear spoiler treatment - http://gomotors.net/photos/0f/0c/to...-eskoslovensk-motoristick-databze_7a1c7.jpg?i)! They have a manual option, which makes me happy (Save the manuals! :p) and apparently use the same 3S-GE and 3S-GTE engines as some of the cars Toyota sold here (MR2, Rav4) so parts interchangeability for the engines might be somewhat ok too...any idea on usual prices for them, or if they're rust-prone/have any major problems, etc?

Just looking to learn from the experienced as I'd consider one as an alternative to a DD Subie import if they're good cars! ;)

2. Garth

Garth New Member

Bumping this for you. Noticed these pop up as well. I like the look of them and it's pretty cool they come with the GTE. Hope someone (probably Ben) gets their hands on one and lets us know what they're like.

dagleykd likes this.
  3. Hugo4

Hugo4 New Member

Not an expert on the Caldina, but it is a cousin of the Celica GT4; so the GT-T shares the engine and possibly some of the drivetrain. I have heard some of our export experts recommend NOT getting the auto version; so the manual is a better choice anyway. They should be reliable if you get one that has a history of being maintained, but as with all Toyotas you have to do your own homework for parts as Toyota Canada sucks balls when it comes to JDMs.

dagleykd likes this.
  4. Rav4GTT

Rav4GTT New Member

[​IMG]

JamalS13 likes this.
  5. Rav4GTT

Rav4GTT New Member

Hi Guys, I have alot of experience with the Caldina and live in British Columbia, I have a ton of Caldina parts in stock. This is my Wife's ST215 Caldina GTT Aerial 5 Speed. It is essentially identical to the UK Toyota Avensis, and uses the ST205 Celica running gear. The 4th Generation Air to Air intercooled 2.0 L 3S-GTE Factory Turbo Charged engine is a hybrid YAMAHA/TOYOTA Engine that screams at 9,000RPM. It is a completely underrated engine, and is stated as the fastest 4 cylinder engine ever produced. It is essentially a 2JZ-GTE Supra Engine, with only 4 Cylinders instead of Six.

It has identical square bore and stroke 86x86mm. The Caldina is All wheel drive, Limited Slip Differential on 4 wheel disc brakes.

The engine is capable of being boosted to 40-45 PSI and putting down 1,000 Horsepower if you are so inclined or ambitious.

In all of my 3S-GTE Love, I had two Caldina GTT's imported, and stripped the second one and dropped the engine and gearbox into my 1998 Rav4 ;) and kept all the outer body panels and other parts as replacements incase of an accident.

The Caldina requires very little to be certified in Canada. It will need: Daytime Running Light Module, Replacement battery terminals and battery (Japanese batteries are different), UK Based Left Hand Drive Toyota Avensis Headlights (Equivalent to US DOT Specs) and all other regular vehicle safety inspection requirements.

If you are looking to breathe new life into your existing Toyota, I highly recommend the 3S-GTE Caldina 5Speed Swap. This S series engine will bolt into any chassis that originally had a 3S-FE, 5S-FE, 3S-GE or previous models of the 3S-GTE Engine, this encompasses the Toyota MR2, Celica, Rav4 and Camry. The Corolla requires the modification of at least one engine mount but is a very common swap.

The 3S-GTE Engine can also mount up to a variety of gearbox combinations including Front Wheel Drive, All Wheel Drive or rear wheel drive!

The Caldina itself is an amazing car to drive! The technology it has being a car manufactured in 1997 is outstanding. It must be noted that because the Caldina was only ever intended for sale in Japan, where they usually only drive their cars for 40-100,000km before discarding them, what usually happens is the engine is replaced at 40,000km, and the car is driven for only another 40,50-000km, before being taken off the road. This is the nature of the Japanese auto industry. This is why for example the air-to-air intercooler on the Gen4 is a Top Mount design, because Toyota only ever expected the engines to run for about 100,000km before being discarded.

This, along with the fact that the car was never going to be exported for sale, it did not need to fit a price point, and included some pretty awesome technology only seen on newer cars today, such as auto-folding side mirrors, electronic servo activated climate control system, interior and exterior temperature gauges and much , much more.

The automatic versions even came with Paddle Shifters, and I would like to believe, without doing any research, that Ferrari actually took this design from the Toyota Caldina. perhaps not, but one would like to believe.

Frankly. The Caldina GTT is faster than a Porsche Boxter, Camaro, Mustang and sorry guys, but not a single Honda has ever had a hope or should I say "wheel hop" of a chance, and the Factory spec Subaru STi's or even the newest 2015 EVO's cannot put down what the 3S-GTE Caldina can for torque, friction and horsepower. If this makes you angry, take a deep breath and do your research, then realize that what the 3S-GTE puts out stock is what could cost you thousands in another car to make for horsepower. A Subaru requires a 2.2 L Engine and 20 Lb's of Boost to match what the 3s-GTE Gen4 can do in 5Lb's of boost on a 1998cc Block.

After importing to Canada and ensuring it meets all safety requirements, the car costs about $6,500 to own. It is a complete joy to drive and inside the cabin is very quiet as the entire interior is well lined with a high quality (and heavy) sound dampening material.

I enjoy writing about the 3S-GTE Engine and thought I would contribute a bit of information for those who may come across this page online.

Drive Safe and have fun!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Garth likes this.
  6. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Thanks for the info mate! $6500 isn't bad at all for an import cost, and I quite like the looks of the GT-T! :)

You mention "UK Based Left Hand Drive Toyota Avensis Headlights" - the UK has RHD cars though...? Was the Avensis only sold there in LHD...?

What's the normal amount of kms / the condition found on most Caldinas? I imagine with their performance, they'd be driven hard...

7. Rav4GTT

Rav4GTT New Member

Hey thanks for your feedback, wheat I meant about the headlights was EUROPEAN LHD Avensis Headlights, not the UK RHD lol, my mistake. The LHD Avensis is rather rare, I had to have someone send them from Holland!

Thankfully, the Japanese, when buying a car, are more likely to buy a sports car if they want to drive fast, the Caldina falls into the "Buick" Category over there. It's a station wagon lol.

They have Mountains in Japan, so when you load up the car with 3 kids, Mom & Dad and a bunch of Luggage, you still need the power to climb those hills.

You can actually tell from which car you pick at the JDM Auctions which ones are more likely to have been driven hard. For example, Cold air intake? Performance Muffler? Likely driven hard. Both Caldina's we bought I am certain belonged to modest females. I can just tell by the way they were taken care of that whoever owned both of the Caldina's we imported did nothing but oil and filter changes, and was very good at maintenance.

The motor oil in both of these 3S-GTE Gen4's is almost basically still clean when I change it at around 5,000km The 3S-GTE is good for about 10,000km, but I enjoy doing it, and I also flush the engine with semi-clean oil everytime I change it. I have driven these engines very, very hard, as these are the first fast cars I've ever owned, and I am still shocked that the oil is not molasses thick and pitch black after a long mountain run here in BC, but they just keep on, keeping on. And they are cheap too.

You can buy a 3S-GTE Gen4 Caldina Engine for about $1,000 plus shipping (from Quebec, Canada usually). Heck, a head gasket job on a Gen 3 costs that much!

Prime Performance in New Jersey USA are experts in the Caldina 3S-GTE, after speaking with the owner there on a few occasions he has run his gen4 3SGTE for "a few" years, with absolutely NO PROBLEMS whatsoever!

If you don't get greedy with the boost (on the factory internals) this engine will outlast ANY comparable Toyota Engine with an EGR System. Those Emission control systems inject carbon and exhaust back into the engine and of course are one of the main contributors to Toyota's "Reliability" suffering in recent years, as compared to the reliablility and long life Pre Emission 22-RE Engines.

JamalS13 likes this.
  8. Rav4GTT

Rav4GTT New Member

[​IMG]
    Here is my Rav4 GTT. The list of things I've done is Ughh, LONG... lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (drawer fronts with locks have been added since)

Dat vroom sound doe.

Walk-around.

Started life out as - 1998 Rav4 SXA11 Automatic trans

-Caldina 3S-GTE Engine & 5 Speed Gearbox Swap
    -Caldina OEM rear muffler!
    -Caldina gearbox cooler
    -Caldina power steering cooler
    -Caldina rear spoiler
    -Caldina shifter and cables
    -Celica ST185 Hood scoops & Vents integrated into Rav4 Hood
    -Battery relocate to rear
    -AC Delete kit (Pulley and belt)
    -Throttle body water bypass
    -Two 14" 1500CFM Cooling fans installed with new relays and switches on dash
    -One 12" ? CFM Universal cooling fan on Factory TMIC
    -Energy Suspension Full Suspension/Chassis Poly Bushing Kit
    -3M Windo-Weld all engine Mounts
    -Old Man EMU 1.5" Medium duty springs on all 4 corners
    -Old Man EMU Medium duty shocks on rear
    -Monroe Sensatrac front Struts
    -44" LED CREE Overhead offroad lights
    -Sport Rack Roof Rack permanently fastened to roof with stainless steel screws
    -40W Coleman solar panel installed on roof
    -1000W AC Inverter/Charger
    -Custom "truck vault" with 2 slide out drawers in rear with fold out sleeping platform for 2

[​IMG]

Couple of Pics of the Donor Caldina or "Blackdina" before she got Dexter'd in the Garage lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

----More to come later!

JamalS13 likes this.
  9. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Bringing this back on topic; keep the good info coming!

If anyone wants to debate the reliability of old imports and merits of modern vehicles in a civil manner, surely we can start a new discussion for that. :)

10. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Lots of great Caldina info here! like uhhh, how the engine is, and uhhhh, how uhh it fits in a Rav 4? so where is the actual Caldina info? and since was asking if the Caldina parts are hard to get not associated with the car? Delete anything that wouldn't be a great google search! fantastic

11. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

Okay, let me put it in simpler terms.

@kingsoup ,
    you started this argument with a generic statement based on no experience with the car in question, and followed it up with this:
    Hey. In two years of daily driving my old 4wd turbo car, I've only done regular oil changes and $40 worth of preventive maintenance. If you want to make a point, you should do better than unsubstantiated assertions like the above.

@Rav4GTT ,
    the work you've done on your car is very impressive. Your attitude is not. Petty name-calling over other people's opinions does nothing to reinforce your point. You like old Toyotas, and that's great, but they won't end wars or stop world hunger, so take it easy on the righteous indignation. Someone will always have opinions and experiences different from yours. Take the high road.

If the both of you want to continue this line of discussion, take it outside (of this thread).

12. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

End wars? Toyota has their own wars.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War