buying a domestic '99 legacy, what should I know

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by IMPUL, Sep 12, 2016.

1. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

a buddy at work is selling his 99 legacy wagon. 197k km auto. timing belt and alt have been changed new calipers on the fronts, rotors are a little rought from sitting.
    comes with all seasons and winters on rims. it has the ej20 engine and that's about alls I know so far.
    I'm going to look at it in a few days, what should I look for. any tell tale signs of certain death?
    he was going to be asking for $2k but will take 1500 ... so I'm going to get it for 1500 lol

2. IMPUL

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Went to see it after work today.
    It's decent. Nothing award winning. If I were to grade it against other domestic legacy s it's probably a
    3 -b-b against Japanese examples more like grade 2-b-c as subies are always graded low.

It's got a couple little dings and dents 2 small cosmetic rust spots,
    Mechanically it seems solid. Started right up with a boost ( dead battery from sitting ) .

I mean, for a $1500 winter beater, it's deff.decent. Better shape then my first 2 volvos.

3. IMPUL

So I found some new info on the car. Sorry wagon. It's a BK legacy. So it actually has ej25 not 20. So that's kinda cool. 40 more hp then I thought. It has clean drive clean records with tsi and obd testing.
    My plan for it so far is to replace all the fluids, spark plugs, shine up the lights which are hazy, turn the rotors, paint the wheels white, replace the tint, wax and detail.

4. silent112

silent112 Ryan

looks good for the price, even with all seasons, the subies have good control in the snow.

IMPUL likes this.
  5. mconor7

mconor7 New Member

When buying used a car, I usually ask for a copy of maintenance/repair records.