BH Legacy dash/stereo removal how to

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by Ihatedomestic, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Ihatedomestic

Ihatedomestic I rarely post; mostly lurk in the shadows

Installing a new stereo into my 99 GT-B took wayyyy longer than it shold have, so hopefully this will save someone some time...otherwise this thread is a waste :)

1.) Unscrew the shift knob. It's just threaded on there. Grab your knob and give it a twist. Once completely unscrewed, it will sit on top of the shift linkage, held in place by the shift boot.

2.) Lift up the trim surrounding the shift boot. Start at the back end and lift. There are 4 spring clips which hold it in place.

Watch out for Tusken Raiders lurking in your storage compartments!

[​IMG]

NOTE: You WILL break off the 2 alignment pins at the front of this trim piece. Mine were broken when I got it. I glued them twice and broke them off, no matter how hard I tried not to.
    [​IMG]
    3.) Remove the ash tray. Push the springy metal flap down and yank it out. Then you have to remove the ash tray holder/track. 3 screws need to come out, 2 of which are in a tight spot. You'll need this, or something similar:http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...pc-screwdriver-set-0588626p.html#.U5ZB83iaoz4
    These mini ratchets are one of the best tools to have in any tool box...and you can't beat the price. Get one if you don't have one!
    There is a small light bulb attached to the ash tray track. I removed the bulb socket (1/4 turn) then unplugged the connector. Somewhere during my stereo install, this connector got burried in the mess back there and has not been seen since. I tossed the bulb, the socket and the short bit of wiring...
    You can see the other broken dowel from the shift boot surround...
    [​IMG]

4.) Remove the little storage tray located under the ash tray and 12v socket. Remove 2 screws, slides rights out.

5.) Now you're ready to remove the trim surrounding the radio & climate control. Start close to the steering column. Slide your hand in between the gap between the dash trim and the column...then pull. Yep, just yank on it...that's how I do it. Nothing broken yet!

[​IMG]
    Keep pulling and things should come loose. When the dash trim gets really loose, you'll want to disconnect the 2 harnessess at the back of these 2 switch locations:

[​IMG]
    6.) Now that things are loose on the right side...pull out the cup holder, grab it firmly and again, give it a pull. This should loosen the entire left side of the dash trim. If not, keep pulling...it'll come apart eventually.

[​IMG]
    At this point you'll want to unplug the cigarette lighter socket and disconnect the little light bulb that lights up the socket. I found it easier to remove the bulb socket (1/4 turn, then pull out) then to disconnect the harness. That connector does not want to come apart easily.
    [​IMG]
    7.) With the trim all removed, you should see something like this:
    [​IMG]
    I moved the storage tray to the upper position to allow for my Ebay head unit to sit lower in the stack up. When the 7" screen unfolds from the deck, it covers this tray and lines up with the bottom of the climate control perfectly. I'll do something with the middle spot some day...

8.) This entire stack of head unit, storage tray and climate control sit in 1 metal tray, which attaches to the dash structure with 6 screws. Remove the screws, disconnect the climate control connectors and the white corregated tube (more on this later). Disconnect the stereo...and it should all come out in one nice neat package:
    [​IMG]
    ...and leave you with a gaping hole with a huge mess of wires inside. The wiring close the shifter and the part that looks like a 12v socket is the wiring needed to use the OEM McIntosh amp under the driver's seat. (See more about this in my GT-B thread).
    NOTE: everything wrapped in yellow is SRS/Air Bag stuff...don't mess with any of those harnesses! ...unless you want a smash in the face with an air bag...
    [​IMG]
    9.) Reassemble everything in reverse order :)

As I mentioned before, these is a white corregated tube that runs from the back of the climate control box, down beside the metal structure of the dash and then connects to the side of the heater box. The connection is up under the dash, above your left foot when sitting in the right seat. The hose apparently just slides onto a tube on the back of the climate control box...easier said than done. When assembling everything, I tried for an hour to reconnect this hose to the back of the climate control...and never ended up feeling that I had attached it properly. So, I pulled the tube out of the dash completely, by removing the end attached to the heater box. The tube slid right out after that. I then attached the tube to the climate control box and wire-tied it in place. Just have to remember to route it back the correct way when installing the climate control...and remember to reconnect it back up to the heater box when finished.
    [​IMG]

Greg and coquitlamglenn like this.
  2. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

nice walk through with some nice pics. very helpful im sure

3. Kilroy

Kilroy Wagon Lover

Top notch! Thanks for taking the time/effort to help others out!

4. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

Nice job man!!!

5. Perron

Perron New Member

will definitely be using this when I take my sound system apart!