B20Z ticking noise

Discussion in 'Honda' started by FuzzyLogic, Dec 24, 2016.

1. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic New Member

I recently noticed a ticking noise coming from the B20Z in my crv. I heard the noise after getting an oil change done at Great Canadian Oil Change. The noise seems to appear after the engine is warmed up to optimal running temp.

The odd thing about the noise is it doesnt seem to appear every time. I took a video of a cold start up, then waited for the engine to warm up, but the noise never appeared that time so I did not create another video of it running at optimal temp.

I guess my main question is if anyone has ever encountered something like this and if I should be worried about it.

This is a stock, unmodified crv with 60,000 km on the clock.

I haven't checked the valve clearances yet, and am planning on doing that in the near future. Is there anything else I should do to prevent any potential future problems?

2. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic New Member

Here's the video I was able to get of the engine tick.

The odd thing about it, is it only ticks when the engine is warm, and it doesn't tick everytime.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  3. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Wild shot in the dark, but I would say maybe they put to thin of oil in? If your car requires say a 30 weight, but they put 20 in then your car could be having trouble getting enough oil to the head at operating temp.
    My truck ticks when its cold but for the opposite reason, even though I am running 5W-30 it cant get enough oil up to the lifters at -20c. When its up to operating temp its completely fine.
    Keep in mind I am sure its still getting oil and is lubricated, just not enough to keep the valves quiet. That is of course only if my guess is right.

4. silent112

silent112 Ryan

Also check if there is too much or too little oil in there. Btw those spark plug wires look really old (maybe OEM?)

The last time I did a valve lash adjustment on my B18C they said everything was within spec so no adjustments needed. That was around 175 thousand km I believe

5. IanB

IanB New Member

I'd check the oil level as well as a starting point. It sounds to me like one cylinder is making the tick, based on the frequency of the noise. Another possible culprit could be a noisy injector? As it only happens when the engine is warm, a valve out of adjustment is a good guess as well.

6. mconor7

mconor7 New Member

Did you check the valve slash? It could be the problem.

7. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic New Member

Thank you for the replies. I haven't check the valves yet. So that could be the issue.

Last time the oil was changed, it was filled with 5w30, which I thought was the standard for these engines, I could be wrong. Also oil level seems to be at the normal amount.

Is there anyway that the oil and the oil levels check out but certain parts of the engine are not getting oil?

8. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic New Member

Quick update...

I had the timing belt and water pump replaced, also the valves adjusted. The noise doesn't appear to be present anymore. So I believe it was the valve clearance that was the issue.