AZ-1 Accessories

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by Lethbridge_man, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Lethbridge_man

Lethbridge_man New Member

Admittedly, there isn't a lot available for such a rare beast such as this. But I am saving my pennies (well, I guess those would be nickles now, because pennies are non-existent!) for a bicycle rack. The world would probably tilt on its axis if I showed up with my bike on my AZ-1 in some staid recreational park... :)

http://www.autogiano.com/list/ma/list_msta.html

2. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

that's pretty neat.

3. trev

trev New Member

Still waiting to buy an AZ-1

4. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

buy this one

start at 2:30

5. trev

trev New Member

Heh, I had a Honda Beat. It was incredibly slow, but incredibly easy to spin as well. Even when I wasn't trying to push all that fast the backend would step out on me just trying to carry some momentum making right turns on to roads with merge lanes.

6. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

That mount for the front fork would be pretty easy to fabricate. The back is just a suction cup and strap?

7. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Pretty cool! Although, as for the parks....couldn't you just take the AZ-1 on the trails instead? :p It's small enough, it'd be like your own little, mini rally stage! :D

8. Lethbridge_man

Not really an accessory as such, but I did recently take out the loud OEM exhaust manifold and replace it with a shiny new exhaust header.

If any of you are tempted by an exotic Japanese mid-engined kei car, call me first so that I can take you out for a beer and try to set you straight. Working on these cars is most definitely not for the faint of heart, the poor, the impatient, or the smug. Check your ego at the door, have lots of tools (and be prepared to buy new, one-use-only ones), and have several ocean sounds calming CDs at the ready.

It looks as if it is having surgery. I took out the air conditioning unit at the same time.

[​IMG]

It was pretty dirty on this side of the engine. :(

[​IMG]

The original exhaust manifold had been cracked and re-welded before. Grrr...

[​IMG]

Your elbows and knees take a beating when working on this little guy. Just ask my long-suffering friend.

[​IMG]

My original "complete exhaust gasket kit" didn't include an exhaust manifold gasket. I know, huh? More waiting...

[​IMG]

It finally came together!

[​IMG]

I drove it for a day, it sounded awesome, and then this afternoon I re-checked all the bolts. One had completely loosened, one of the manifold studs will need to be replaced, and there is a small oil leak at the turbo. On it goes... But I did get to drive it for a day! Yay!

IMPUL and pitty like this.
  9. dagleykd

dagleykd Kei fan extraordinaire!

Hope the drive was worth it! :D Still love these little rides....kindof neat that they put in that access panel in the back to get the exhaust manifold side of the engine! :)

10. Lethbridge_man

The drive is ALWAYS worth it! :) And "neat" wasn't the word that was running through my mind... >:(

11. Lethbridge_man

Tightening up the last bolt necessitated yet another trip to Canadian Tire to buy yet another tool that I will undoubtedly use only once. And the stud in the manifold managed to strip itself while I was torquing it, so out that came and in went a conventional bolt. And then... I went for a drive! A 250-kilometre drive, with plenty of -ahem- spirited runs, all in the name of research and further development.

The engine spins like a top, and the sound is glorious. I still have a minor oil drip, but I am going to get that sorted out ASAP. It felt SO good to get this car back on the road again where it belongs. She is a garage queen, but she also likes to feel the open air and the sun on her face.

There are several other impending projects due on the AZ-1 this winter, but that's still months away, right? Right? :p

12. Lethbridge_man

Went for a drive to Writing On Stone provincial park (http://www.albertaparks.ca/writing-on-stone.aspx) where I tried to -cough- keep a reasonable speed...

[​IMG]

And yesterday I was out in the drizzling rain for more testing. :)

[​IMG]

So far, so good. A couple of hoses are rubbing, so I'll replace those. I have a friend in the UK with an AZ-1 (the cars are so rare that most of the non-Japanese owners around the world are in contact with each other) who has replaced his original engine with a Hayabusa one, so I'll be getting plenty of spare parts in the mail soon...