An Autozam AZ-1 travelogue

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by Lethbridge_man, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Lethbridge_man

Lethbridge_man New Member

Because now that I have the car back on the road, it's time to log some highway time!

This past weekend I took a little 1,400-km jaunt through the Rockies. You know, just a typical day.

You know what fun is? Fun is driving with an older 911 Carrera through the mountains. That's what fun is.

[​IMG]

The fall colours are wonderful to behold, even through those tiny windows.

[​IMG]

It was raining pretty hard as we climbed higher and higher. Put a damper on those 150 km/hr bursts of speed, but at least the car was clean!

[​IMG]

I love cedar trees. This was a particularly nice little place to have lunch and let the car breathe normally again.

[​IMG]

More adventures to come!

lenglish, _drew, pitty and 1 other person like this.
  2. Greg

Greg Local Grumpy Moderator

Awesome! I want to see more! I bet that was an awesome drive...And all on one tank of gas?

3. Lethbridge_man

Haha! It was an awesome drive... And although the car gets amazing fuel economy under normal conditions, (light as a feather, 660cc engine, etc...), those long stretches of top speeds at 7,000+rpm really eat into those numbers.

To tell you the truth, I prefer the highways in Alberta to those in B.C. I really like being able to see several kilometres into the distance, and there are SO many animals on the highways in British Columbia that it is impossible to relax and enjoy the drive. My wife and I absolutely love driving in Alberta alongside the Rockies - the views are stunning, the roads are mirror-smooth, there are still plenty of twists and turns, and you can see several kilometres off into the distance (handy when you don't have a radar detector).

I had to brake and swerve around a deer that was walking across the highway as I came around a corner just outside of Creston, and it was a white-knuckle experience. If I would have hit that deer, we would have both been dead instantly - the car is so low and so tiny that the deer would have come right through the windshield.

I also like the wide open vistas of Saskatchewan... A few years ago we drove the Figaro to Saskatoon (such a beautiful city... :) ) and it was awesome. Instead of worrying around what might be waiting for you around every little bend in the road, you can relax and enjoy the drive, have a conversation, enjoy the scenery (instead of looking down the tunnel-vision of trees, trees, trees), or just let your mind wander aimlessly.

We lived in Cranbrook for a year last year, and one of the reasons we left was because both of us were so tired of the nerve-wracking driving on the highways. Animals, ice & snow in the winter, slow RVs in the mountain passes, and far too many rednecks in pickups. It just wasn't fun anymore. Now we just visit occasionally, and that is so much more preferable. :)

4. Lethbridge_man

Not really travel per se, but I have been driving the AZ-1 every day to the gym and around town Using this car for running errands is rather amusing. Taking out the recycling in a gull-winged kei car is laughter-inducing!

Anyhow, here I am in a typical Albertan parking lot. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    sanigene and JamalS13 like this.
  5. Lethbridge_man

Nothing too special. Just a random drive in the countryside.

This was in the middle of nowhere. Enough canola seed stored up to feed a small city. These are the kinds of things one sees on the prairies in Canada if one chooses to drive down random highways stretching to the horizon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forgot to reset the ISO setting on the camera from the evening before, so the pictures have this odd quality to them.

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

LOL! I hate it when tiny cars are parked in a spot like that. It looks like it's an empty space until you start pulling into the spot!

7. sanigene

sanigene New Member

this thread is full of awesome, nicely done Lethbridge Man!

sani