Altezza Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by Seba, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Seba

Seba New Member

Hey guys, hoping you can help me out with this. I was driving the other day and accidentally flicked on my brights, and when I did my cluster/radio died. However, when I turned my lights on everything would pop back on. I thought maybe it was from my DRL install (t-tapped accessory and ran it to low beams), so I removed it and all that happened is I can't get anything to turn on anymore. I tried reconnecting it with no luck. Also, it seems the alternator may no longer be charging the battery, as it dies after a few seconds of running with no booster pack. I've checked all the fuses in both footwells and in the engine bay. I haven't checked the alternator yet because it feels unrelated.. I drove the car for probably a week after it happened.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

2. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

First thing I would check is just to make sure you have a good ground, ie clean the the negative battery post and make sure its tight. I had a car that its trunk would open when you turned on the headlights, as it grounded through that circuit. Turned out to be a dirty battery post.

3. RyanV

RyanV Member

Low voltage makes all sorts of strange things happen. Check the voltage across the battery with the car running and not and see what numbers you get.

4. Meowmix

Meowmix New Member

RE: Charging- check the accessory belt too. I had a bad experience with the belt being loose and wouldn't even turn the alternator.

5. Seba

Seba New Member

reviving old thread, finally stopped being lazy and got to work on it, cleaned the terminals / battery checked the belt all was good, tested voltage off alt and it wasn't charging at all, brought it in for a rebuild, put it back on the car and nothing.. i'm thinking it might be related to the ignition switch but honestly just guessing at this point, any ideas?

6. RyanV

RyanV Member

What does the voltage read across the battery with the car on? Off? Maybe a disconnected ground somewhere?

7. Seba

Seba New Member

voltage reads the same on and off, starts at whatever the booster pack is at (~13) and slowly drains as the car runs, battery has been dead for awhile