Alberta JDM friendly insurance companies

Discussion in 'AB' started by Murrdawg02, Nov 12, 2014.

1. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I just bought a truck last week and have it insured through Johnson's. I also got a quote for my next car (RHD eunos/miata) and I got that no problem. Maybe I'm grandfathered in, but it's still offered. Best of luck in your search.

2. KENALI

KENALI New Member

Magnavahn, do you mind telling who you contact in Johnson's and contact number.

3. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

@KENALI
    Pm'd

I also got a quote for RHD insurance with collision at Drayton. They wanted my home insurance too though, and they were more $.

4. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

Drayden in Spruce? With which insurer? I'm about to renew next month and they want to drop comprehensive coverage for me.

5. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I forget the name of who I was taking with. I dropped in when I was at the registries in Spruce. I also asked for a $2k deductible. Not much help man. I've moved everything to Johnson's or a meloche monnex these days (meloche monnex no longer offers collision on RHD).

6. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

To confirm:
    Johnson's will not offer collision on new policies. If you had it before (2014ish or earlier) you may be grandfathered in.

Car: 1997 Subaru wrx sti (2012-2015)
    Insurer: Johnson's (UnifundAssurance)
    Coverage: PLPD, Collision ($2k deductible), comprehensive ($500 deductible)
    New/Existing Policy: existing, I also have some other cars and a house with them

Car: 1997 mazda miata/eunos roadster (quoted, don't have it yet)
    Insurer: Johnson's (UnifundAssurance)
    Coverage: PLPD, Collision ($2k deductible), comprehensive ($500 deductible)
    New/Existing Policy: existing, I also have some other cars and a house with them

7. RoboMoonMan

RoboMoonMan New Member

Car: 2000 B4 RSK

TD insurance wouldn't offer collision as they said the vehicle is over 15 years old and would only give cash value anyways.

Comprehensive with $250 deductible including glass and hail damage.

$1M PLPD

$55/month

8. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

Got quote for collision+comp on Evo, and just comp on GT-B and Saab from cooperators.
    It will cost me a little bit more but its worth switching away from Intact.

9. judasentinel

judasentinel New Member

Even though I havent moved to AB yet, I did get a quote from Co-Operators. However, they are also demanding a mechanical inspection before insuring the 1995 R33 GTR. Is this a standard practice, to get a mechanical inspection done for auto insurance in AB? I understand that I will need an OOP for AB registration, but didnt know of this other requirement for insurance.

Any ideas? Or is it just this particular Co-Operators branch? Very nice and professional people, mind you. And quote was good too, since I am 44 and have a rather clean record with no accidents or claims in the last 13 yrs.

10. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

I just got my Stagea insured by Co-operators. Since you have to get your OOP, they can accept that as the mechanical inspection. PM if you still have trouble, as the branch I have dealt with twice is JDM friendly.

11. judasentinel

judasentinel New Member

Thank you, Murray. I will contact you if I run into trouble. Will they accept a copy of the OOP? I take it that Alberta Transport takes the original.

12. mekazilla

mekazilla Theoretician

Yeah it's standard to need a mechanical for new policies on any older or oop vehicle. Unless you have a recent one from BC-AB-SK, it's good within the 3 provinces.

13. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Yep. Make sure you make a copy of the completed OOP yourself before you give it to the registry! I made that mistake, and you have to sell your soul to get a copy back.

14. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

Would you be able to PM me the Co-Operators branch you go through?

Thanks!

15. marlowe

marlowe New Member

I don't have my insurance just yet but the Co-operators in Whitecourt is willing to insure my rhd when it arrives.

I gave them my Vancouver landed estimated price as the value for them to generate my quote.

I'm a new client for them.

Co-operators Whitecourt

4926 51st Ave, Box 1265, T7S1P2, Whitecourt, Alberta
    780-778-5353

16. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

Update on Johnson’s
    I’ve been with Johnsons since my first RHD in 2012. I’ve insured 2 other JDM’s as well, always with comprehensive and at very reasonable rates. They have now changed their underwriting policies and they will not offer comprehensive. Also, they will not offer (even temporary) insurance without “intent to register”. Meaning they will not offer insurance and accept an OOP and registration a few days or weeks later. It has to be registered on the day it is insured. So, if you are 100% confident that you are going to pass the OOP and you register it you may not have any problems. Just don’t get into an accident on the way there or back as they told me they will deny insurance if the car is not registered.

Solution: Meloche Monnex changed their ways and they will insure up to 30 days before you are required to provide proof of a passed OOP and a picture of the VIN. So I switched my JDM to them. It also saved me a few bucks. Liability only though.

17. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

My new van is insured under cooperators. They still offer comprehensive, rates are reasonable but not great. You have 30days to get it registered (inspected).

Car: Nissan Elgrand
    Insurer: Cooperators (Red Deer Branch)
    Coverage: PLPD, Comprehensive,
    New Policy