AB Alberta JDM friendly insurance companies

Discussion in 'Regional' started by Murrdawg02, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

So figured since we have a fairly large group of RHD peeps in Alberta we should start a list of insurance companies in Alberta that are willing to offer coverage to RHD vehicles.

It is illegal for an insurance company to deny you PLPD (public liability and property damage) insurance. So all Alberta insurance should insure RHD. The point of this list is for the insurance companies that will cover the add-ons like collision and comprehensive (fire and theft).

One issue that people may encounter is getting a tip from someone saying "I have full coverage from company X". You go and get a quote from company X and they tell you "we only do PLPD on RHD". I believe the reason for this is alot of company will provide more coverage, only if you have an existing policy with them (grandfathered in), or you are adding RHD to your existing auto (with a LHD vehicle) or home insurance. By indicating this hopefully we can see which companies are truly RHD friendly and which ones are just doing it because you are already a customer.

Please add to the list if you have personally talked to an insurer. This thread will lose its value if we start posting unconfirmed information. Once again this will be for the general public and may differ on a case by case basis.
    Please follow this guideline below.

Car: Car you are trying to Cover
    Insurer: Company Name
    Coverage: PLPD, Collision, Comprehensive, Glass, Etc.... What kind of coverage you have/they offer.
    New/Existing Policy: Whether you are cold-calling an insurance company or adding a new right hand drive to your existing policy.

If there are other things I am missing please let me know and I can add it. Here we go:

Car: 1991 Nissan Safari, 1990 Nissan Skyline
    Insurer: TD Meloche Monnex
    Coverage: PLPD, Comprehensive
    New/Existing Policy: Existing

Car: 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Insurer: AMA Insurance
    Coverage: PLPD
    New/Existing Policy: New

Car: 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Insurer: Co-operators Insurance
    Coverage: PLPD, Comprehensive, Collision

Car: 1993 Mazda RX-7
    Insurer: Economical
    Coverage: PLPD

Car: 2000 Nissan Stagea
    Insurer: Co-Operators
    Coverage: PLPD, Comprehensive, Collision

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

As much as your trying to help. When these posts have come up in Ontario there is a flood of quotes. This some times back fires and closes down the ability to get a quote from them. Mind you its no where near as bad as it is in Onterrible.

Companies have a right to refuse policy here. My hope is that no other provinces have this kind of rule passed. Its horrible.

Sorry for thread jack. GL !

3. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

I hear what you are trying to say. The "All Comers Rule" was passed in Alberta quite a few years ago, ensuring everyone had opportunity to get insurance, unfortunately it doesn't say how much they can charge. My hope is that this will be the opposite of closing down the ability to insure, and goes to show how many companies are losing business to other insurance companies that are willing to. I also don't want to go into detail about how much people are paying because its mainly a case by case basis, and publicly announcing your insurance premiums is not a good idea. If people don't want to say what kind of car that's fine too, more just for interest sake.

If this thread doesn't take off in the next month or so I will asked for it to be deleted.

4. topgear

topgear New Member

I'll contribute...

Car: 99 Subaru Forester
    Insurer: The Personal
    Coverage: PLPD only

Murrdawg02 likes this.
  5. wphan

wphan i need a bigger turbo

car: 98 nissan skyline sedan
    insurer: intact
    coverage: plpd, comprehensive available but with high deductible
    new:/existing policy: existing

6. Stokes

Stokes Brad

99 Subaru WRX
    Johnson Inc
    Full coverage but with high deductible $2000 if I remember.
    New policy

I'm still with them now with my USDM vehicles and get great prices.

7. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Car: 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI
    Insurer: Cooperators.
    Coverage: PLPD, Comprehensive. They asked if I wanted collision but it nearly doubled my premium.
    Existing Policy: I have had insurance with them for 9 years now, they have insured all my vehicles as well as my 1995 STi. Seemed like a non-issue and it lowered the rate for my truck. I currently have my car, truck, and quad all insured through them.

8. RZFD3S

RZFD3S New Member

Car: 1992 Mazda RX-7 (Ownership 2008-2014)
    Coverage: Collision
    SOLD

Car: 1996 Mazda RX-7
    Coverage: Comprehensive with high deductible
    Existing policy: NO LONGER PROVIDE COLLISION FOR RHD

9. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

TD Meloche Monnex is hit and miss for Comp and collision. If you get a agent that doesn't know much, they will put the coverage on a RHD. But if you get someone that has been there awhile/knowledgeable they will say no to anything other than PLPD. I only have PLPD with them. Many times when they ask what coverage I want, I remind them "i'm pretty sure you guys don't provide anything other than PLPD for RHD" and they put me on hold to go check with a supervisor or something and come back to me saying "oh, you're correct we don't, sorry!". So I don't know what would happen if you did get comprehensive and collision with them and had to file a claim.

10. KENALI

KENALI New Member

I've been making a lots of phone call in regard RHD Auto Insurance in Calgary for my 98 Evo 5, none of these companies mentioned above offer more then PLPD. Very frustrated...

11. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Not even Cooperators?

12. KENALI

KENALI New Member

Yup

13. Stokes

Stokes Brad

Hmm that's strange. I had no problems with Johnson but they wanted a $2000 deductible. I haven't owned a jdm for a few months now so I'm out of the loop at the moment.

14. KENALI

KENALI New Member

Sorry, I personally did not call Johnson but in the Google's review have many bad feedback, anyway yes maybe I should give them a call.

15. Stokes

Stokes Brad

I was with them for years before switching to Drayden and always received good service. Only reason I switched was because I got a better rate on my truck.

16. magnavahn

magnavahn Vahn

I've had a great experience with Johnsons. I actually moved my home and other policies there.

I just got a cheaper quote from Drayton though. No Jdm quotes from Drayton though, haven't replaced my JDM since oil went down the crapper. Hopefully in the spring.

17. KENALI

KENALI New Member

Call Johnsons this morning and they told me they don't offer any RHD auto insurance anymore based on NO market...
    Such of BS, lots of RHD owner out there looking for RHD auto insurance company can offered more than just PLPD...
    I guess I have to stick to PLPD only

18. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

I know Michael Fleger at Co-operators in Canmore is well knowledged on JDM insurance. Back in 2012 he told me to visit their sister office in Calgary (Moir Insurance) and they were able to put PLPD and comp on my RHD back then. In 2014 I heard people were no longer able to get anymore than PLPD at the Moir office in Calgary.

I called Michael about a year ago, and I got turned away because I didn't live in Canmore, probably due to the flood of RHD inquiries.

Visited a Statefarm broker a month ago here in Calgary and was told no dice on anything more than PLPD as well. Hell they couldn't even offer me comp on my 2013 motorcycle, wtf?? Told me to try Intact.

Right Drive/RHD Club has been trying to work something up for Nationwide RHD insurance coverage.

http://www.rightdrive.ca/rhd-insurance-ontario/
    http://www.rhdclub.com/rhd-insurance/

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  19. grayhamwiebe

grayhamwiebe New Member

This is when I'm glad MB doesn't have private insurance. Yeah it sucks sometimes because you can't find any better deals, but if it's safetied, they insure it.

20. KENALI

KENALI New Member

I did send in my email address to Right Drive/RHD Club as waiting list for RHD insurance purpose.