AB Alberta government's attack on RHD vehicles

Discussion in 'Regional' started by Megatol, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

How about Alberta's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act , survey was conducted by the government using taxpayer's money, so public has right to access its results, since it was anonymous there are no concerns about privacy protection etc.

2. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

Realistically speaking, lets say this goes through (hopefully not), what time-frame are we looking at to no longer being able to register RHD here?

3. IMPUL

IMPUL Collector of fine japanese lawn ornaments

Based on quebecs actions 30days after annoucement you can no longer register.

4. tperkins

tperkins Devout AYC Disciple

This is ridiculous. How soon could an announcement be made? What if the vehicle is in transport during that time?

5. IMPUL

It would probably take some time to announce. I would say there is probably a clause about vehicles in transit or already customs cleared.

6. Dah_Hunter

Dah_Hunter Looking over your shoulder, so you dont have to.

Quebec cant be considered the standard.. since they are Crazy over there and the Government does whatever with no notice.. I dont think its that Crazy in Alberta. im sure you guys would have at least 6 months.. but why are we being so negitive. im sure it wont happy.

IanB likes this.
  7. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

If I remember correctly when it was announced in Quebec that if you had purchased before the announcement was made, it was considered legal to import.

Im with Dah_Hunter, why so negative! All this has happened before, all we can do is voice our opinion.

8. IMPUL

The next Alberta provincial election is scheduled to be held between March 1 and May 31, 2016

Soooo.... If they are going to do it, they would do it before the election would they not?

If they were trying to make a federal ( canada wide ) ban then it would be before Oct 19 2015.

But this sounds only provincial. So far.

Maybe survey, review for a year, then vote ( in house ), then announce? Who knows.

A $400k budget doesnt sound like just a survey/review tho.

9. pitty

pitty likes the tuna here

But how many people would finance a new car just because they can't get a cheap old overseas import?

All I'm saying is, they would only advertise the result if it supports their decision. They don't have to hide it or restrict access to it to make it completely inconsequential to the general population.

Hell, if people were to casually follow up on the results of government spending on a regular basis via public information requests, we'd probably have riots in the streets nationwide.

While this is probably too small to actually form any policy, usually you only hear about business associations (aka dealer cartels) attempting to lobby the legislature, but now it appears on a government website in context of "public safety".

10. IMPUL

Public safety.... Sure sure.... Lets go with that...

11. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Never underestimate govs ability to spend money.

I have a feeling that this is still a push from dealers, but calling for public safety will go over much better with the general public then asking them to take the side of big business.

12. IMPUL

Trueee

13. IMPUL

Its not negative... Its being informed so you can act proactively instead of reactive.

No one wants to get caught with their pants down.

14. Wolfd89

Wolfd89 Last in, first out

I suggested they should accept bribes to remove demerit points. Hopefully someone reads this.

IMPUL likes this.
  15. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

Someone posted survey link on the Calgary local auto forum and so many RHD haters over there. I just wondering why :(?
    Don't like RHD car don't buy it, it is that simple.

16. dmnd

dmnd Tuna Sandwich

A lot of young sour apples have gave RHDs a bed rep. That forum has changed a lot through the years and I don't consider it a well rounded auto forum anymore. I was a very active member on there, but stopped visiting. Beyond is just as bad as Instagram, everyone pretends to earn 6 figures a year while driving their financed automobiles. I live in Calgary, can't say I'm a huge fan of this place though. All the stereotype about Calgarians are true and we'll see how long everyone can stay on their high-horse in the new year when oil plunges even further.

17. RawRock

RawRock New Member

Now, if the government wanted to do an "official" survey, wouldn't they do it on the gov't website, and not a cheap e-survey website? It might be early yet, but is there a way we can present our viewpoints as enthusiasts in an effective, respectful manner? Can we draft a letter to some Alberta Transport big-wigs?

18. Megatol

Megatol Mr. Toyota

19. william

william William

This isn't a new thing for Alberta Transport... http://forum.15years.ca/

Every year they have some other type of fear mongering technique like this urging people not to buy anything else from outside of Canada. I think this is just more of the same stuff they have been doing for 10+ years...

That said though if you enjoy your freedom to drive your Japanese car and buy another down the road, take 10 minutes out of your day to do this survey and follow up with a phone call to voice your displeasure with their conversations about road safety and RHD vehicles. I think anyone that drives in Alberta will agree there are much bigger things they should be addressing with regards to road safety.

Does anyone want to draft up a letter for us to send to them as a community ?

IMPUL and JamalS13 like this.
  20. kingsoup

kingsoup New Member

They keep reviewing this over and over, a lot, and I mean a LOT scarier then a handful of RHD cars in a province full of Super Duty monster trucks with staring-at-the-sun blind-a-tron light bars is Temporary foreign workers here.
    According to the survey they can drive here for 12 months on their home license if a visitor, AND drive a commercial vehicle! holy crap!! I always look at people who are driving badly in Calgary or very slow and its always a new Canadian. I had no idea that someone who drove in a village of China or Mumbai or the Phillipines can drive here on their home license!! HARPER!!! who jammed that through? If any of you have driven in those countries, you know its CRAZY different there then here.

And they're worried about RHD cars, I virtually see none on a daily basis, the rare WRX or maybe a Delica, pft hardly any in Alberta, as a percentage they are SUPER low.

Its a leading cause of crashes with company trucks in AB is foreign workers who aren't used to the driving conditions here. Our boss who used to work at this monster Oil corp here in AB said he was fleet guy and saw too many accidents with new Canadians.

People are so ignorant about RHD, teens give them a bad name, but teens are mostly morons, just hate on Teens rather then RHD ;)

Dark times to come for AB with the continuing plunging price of oil, construction, houses, workers unemployed by the many 1000's, its coming.
    But if I have to hear one more goddamn story about a hillbilly oil guy here at work making 7k a week in the patch I'll puke, disgusting, even if it is horrible work out in the middle of nowhere.

IMPUL and JamalS13 like this.