AFTER MARKET STEERING WHEEL (NO AIRBAG)

Discussion in 'AB' started by JapMan, Jan 30, 2017.

1. JapMan

JapMan New Member

Did anyone had a problem with OOP with after market steering wheel with no air-bag in it?
    What is a good place to do OOP in Calgary?
    Vehicle is 1999 - BMW 525.

Thanks ahead of time for all the answers!

2. mconor7

mconor7 New Member

3. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

I have had two imports with aftermarket steering wheels with no air bag. If the car originally had an airbag, you are out of luck. You will have to put an OEM steering wheel back on.
    I have found most makes (Nissan, BMW, Chevy) in the same year use the same electrical connectors across all models. I am sure there is quite a few exceptions to the case but best thing to do is take of the aftermarket steering wheel, take a picture of the connector then go hunting at Pick n' Pull for a 1999 model year BMW and see if you can find one that matches. Doesnt have to be pretty, because you can put the aftermarket steering wheel back on after the inspection, if you dont mind driving without an airbag.
    And dont panic if you put the airbag on and there is still a airbag light present, most cars you have to reset the airbag light. You should be able find out how to reset it for your car on a vehicle specific forum.

As for places to go. The last two inspections I have had done were at Right Price Auto. The mechanic is very nice and fair and will explain everything if you ask him to. The other place that is recommend (or at least used to be) for imports is Beyond Transmission, but I have had no personal experience there.

4. Murrdawg02

Murrdawg02 Danger to the manifold

Ps. Post up some pics of your car and introduce yourself!